RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

making a living

Old 03-27-2010, 07:03 AM

Re: making a living

I am a full time retoucher working on glamour photos. I do 20- 30 min work per image. Obviously it is not high end work but it is regular and pays the bills.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2010, 10:22 AM

I'm fulltime freelance retoucher working for advertising/design. I get to work on anything from visualising a concept, to comping to plain old color correcting. Actually began in the print trade as an apprentice in '94 making printing plates and exposing film. That was the best grounding in colour theory and print that I would recommend anyone to undertake...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2010, 03:01 PM

I scan and restore slides and old photographs, as well as do a little retouching when requested. I was laid off a few years ago and my husband suggested I start my own business doing something I love. Gotta say, it's been a lot harder than I thought it would be. Work is intermittent, although I am starting to get referrals. For me, it will never be a full salary type job - although I wish it could be. Perhaps restoring is a whole different market than retouching, but I would say that anyone who goes into the business should know that only a few ever really make a living at it. The rest of us make just enough to pay for what we need to do what we love. And maybe a little extra.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2010, 03:02 PM

Hello all, I am new in this forum.. pleased to meet you all
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2010, 11:42 PM

i work part time as a headshot/portrait retoucher in LA for a photographer...enough to pay my monthly rents & some foods while im going to school I get pay per image instead of hourly with is quite nice (take a break and go home whenever i want as long as i get things done). it's not a high end retouch where u spend like hours on one image...it's a fast pace work where u only get 25-30 mins max on each photo and move on to the next. u gotta be fast!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2010, 02:40 AM

Final Thought
From what I see I think a small group of people make a living from retouching ONLY
So like I said Before
Think about the Money you will spend on learning Materials and also the time,Because like anything you need to spend time learning and practicing to get good
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2010, 04:37 AM

Ok I put an add up willing to work for FREE, I realize there are people a lot better than me but FREE is FREE, not even an inquiry.
Not trying to scare anyone off BUT I have said this before.I have Discussions with Students and always tell them Before they start spending Money and time make sure you will get it back at the least
Theres over 2000 hits on this and I don't see that many people working

So for newcomers DON'T You think you should at least check it out
There are people on here that have said Honestly You must put in a lot of time and its a hard business so at least find out what it takes and are you willing to do it
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2010, 06:12 AM

zganie, I do not understand why you offer to work for free? If you want to learn retouching, just take a picture and work ... And when you will feel you have enough knowledge and skills try to find a job.

To be fair I finished my portfolio yesterday and I updated my web site and I will start to offer my skills now. Basicaly I am a photographer but I do not want to continue as a commercial photographer anymore. I wish to shoot my own images since now but I still have to make money for living as everyone else

http://creativeretoucher.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2010, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zganie View Post
Ok I put an add up willing to work for FREE, I realize there are people a lot better than me but FREE is FREE, not even an inquiry.
Not trying to scare anyone off BUT I have said this before.I have Discussions with Students and always tell them Before they start spending Money and time make sure you will get it back at the least
Theres over 2000 hits on this and I don't see that many people working

So for newcomers DON'T You think you should at least check it out
There are people on here that have said Honestly You must put in a lot of time and its a hard business so at least find out what it takes and are you willing to do it
You can work for free and also being paid. One must see what's is good for. At my early ages of retoucher, I was too cheap and insecure about doing business but got clients anyway. Then I started working for just very small portions of money, at the same time, I studied and practiced how to become better by finding cool fashion images around retouch pro. In the second year of my growing experience, I found clients with better ideas and bigger budgets because also my experience and skills were increased and worked for that kind of clients while keeping retouching samples I found on the Internet for practice and evolved my skills much more. Then, just few months ago (I'm pretty new, I must say) I started asking directly to the photographers for pictures I liked, so I found better resources to practice and to build a much better portfolio (and also thanks to 3 persons who helped me to build my portfolio: Sheldon from shift studio, Abenormal and seattle-light. Nowadays, I surprisingly find around 2 e-mails per week of people talking very good about my portfolio and I'm actually getting much more clients around the world with much better budgets and many offers of job. Thanks to those 3 guys and a hard effort working for free, now I have these very positive results There are much more better people than me, of course, because there is always better people than oneself as there are clients for every type of skills and experience too.

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2010, 06:31 AM

Mart,

one thing is ask one photographer for a good picture and second is to make an add for free ...

I am sorry, I must go and I will be back in 24 h
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching