RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Adding Floor to an image

Old 01-18-2010, 05:33 AM

Re: Adding Floor to an image

Just a very sloppy shadow but I think you'll get the idea.

1. Find out where the light comes from. In this case you can see it by the shadows on her pants, it's coming from the left and slightly above.
2. Because she's photographed front wise, it's fairly easy to cut her out and place a completely black copy of herself behind her.
3. The shadow will at first go along the floor and afterwards cast on the wall behind her, so you need to select the floor with the marquee tool ([M]) and free transform/distort it to the right. Next move the upper part of the shadow so that it lines up.
4. The light is pretty soft, so a falloff would be needed. Use the quick mask mode to create a linear gradient on her feed, cut off the upper part. Use the Gaussian blur to soften it up.
5. Soften the upper part with the same radius, but this time, without any masking/transitions.
6. Reduce the opacity if needed.

As I said, my job was pretty sloppy. You had to mask a little more precisely (I used flexmanta's mask; there are still some dark grays in it. You should try and invert the mask time by time to see anything you missed), adjust the blur a little better etc.. Just for educational purposes ;-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shadow1.jpg (95.3 KB, 98 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2010, 07:31 AM

As I said, the photo comes with an original shadow already. It helps finding where the wall meets the floor. You can jump the shadow layer as much as you need in order to make it darker. You can even mask the model out of it so that you are only left with the shadow, and then just darken it. My point is: Light is soft. There is a softbox left high, and some kind of fill from the right. Light was used for the BG... with that light, the only thing you can do, is replicate the kind of shadow that would have really happened. And that shadow is already in the photograph (although a bit dirty).

You know what else you could do? Since those shadows are too dirty in the jpeg, make 2 conversions of the raw (if you still have it). One normal for your model, and one EV-2 or something for the shadow. This looks like a 1:2 or 1:4 ratio between key and fill, so those 2 conversions should be enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9016_shadowweb.jpg (27.8 KB, 90 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2013, 08:58 AM

Hi, can you tell me exactly how do you do a "completely black copy" of her?
"Use the quick mask mode to create a linear gradient" can you explain this in baby steps?
Im really stuck at this point
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_W View Post
Just a very sloppy shadow but I think you'll get the idea.

1. Find out where the light comes from. In this case you can see it by the shadows on her pants, it's coming from the left and slightly above.
2. Because she's photographed front wise, it's fairly easy to cut her out and place a completely black copy of herself behind her.
3. The shadow will at first go along the floor and afterwards cast on the wall behind her, so you need to select the floor with the marquee tool ([M]) and free transform/distort it to the right. Next move the upper part of the shadow so that it lines up.
4. The light is pretty soft, so a falloff would be needed. Use the quick mask mode to create a linear gradient on her feed, cut off the upper part. Use the Gaussian blur to soften it up.
5. Soften the upper part with the same radius, but this time, without any masking/transitions.
6. Reduce the opacity if needed.

As I said, my job was pretty sloppy. You had to mask a little more precisely (I used flexmanta's mask; there are still some dark grays in it. You should try and invert the mask time by time to see anything you missed), adjust the blur a little better etc.. Just for educational purposes ;-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2013, 04:10 PM

Hi,

of course.
To create a black copy of the model, just create a selection of the model like flexmanta did above, and create a new fill layer with black color. Now place this behind your layer with the model and move it to wherever you need it.
To create the gradient, just use the linear gradient tool ([G]) on the mask with a gradient going from black to transparent. Now create gradient from black (top) to transparent (bottom) to reduce the effect on the top of the shadow.

I hope that helps?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching