RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Adding Floor to an image

Old 01-17-2010, 01:34 PM

Adding Floor to an image

I posted a thread on "skin texture" and leaned SOOO much from all the contributor. Amazing experience. Thank you all
How would I create a separation between the floor and the background wall when photographing a model against white background? When using seamless paper, the lights wash out the crease in the paper where the wall meets the floor and model looks like she is floating in the air.
To do it right while shooting, one will have the model stand on a stage (white covered) away from the background. This will separate the floor from the background. But I do not have have that option and therefore have to use seamless paper where the floor and the wall will become one piece (even if you put the floor area part of the paper at 90 degrees to the wall). So I am trying to create a stage in photoshop AND keep the shadows of the model on the floor intact. Can someone please show me how to separate the floor from the background? You can certainly do it on the image attached and re-post it.
I have attached a COLOR image of a model I photographed and as you can see, there is no separation between the background wall and the floor. There is however a bit of shaddow to the right of the image that I like to keep. I have attached another image B&W (not mine) where the model looks like she is standing on gray stage. I have seen this series of photographs from this photographer and it looks like the model is not standing on a stage and the stage is done in photoshop.

Thank You
Hadi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clothing2.JPG (28.0 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9016_web.jpg (94.7 KB, 162 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2010, 03:35 PM

Re: Adding Floor to an image

You like this? If you do, ill guide you.
Basically you create your background. And on top of the background you have 2 copies of your model layer. The first copy is set to multiply so that you keep the shadow. That will make the model look funny with the background, and that is why you have a second copy of her set to normal. In order to get rid of the original white background, perform a color range selection on the white, and adjust.

So u got 3 layers, from bottom to top: Background, model on multiply, model with original bg masked out.

*you can duplicate the multiply layer as many times as you want to accentuate the shadow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg walladded.jpg (70.4 KB, 176 views)

Last edited by flexmanta; 01-17-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2010, 03:48 PM

Flexmanta, I looks great. Can you please guide me on how to do this please? Can it also be a shade of white as oppose to gray?

Thank You so much. You are awsome
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2010, 04:13 PM

Sure.
Ok, ill try explaining with text here step by step.

1. Open your image and unlock the layer by dragging the padlock to the little trash can on the bottom of the layers pallet. Now turn that layer off so you can create your background.

2. Create a new layer, and paint on it by making selections and filling them with the gradients you choose.

3. So far you have 2 layers: the bg and the model. We need 2 layers of the model. One to provide the shadow, and another one to contain her and only her, no shadow.

4. Turn back the model layer on, and duplicate (ctrl-j). Set the lower model layer to multiply, that'll get u a shadow.

5. Since the second duplicate of the model layer is set to normal, you can still see it's original white background. We need to mask it off.

6. Select the top most layer, and open the colour range comand (select->color range). A window will pop up. Click on the white area and adjust fuzziness till you have a mostly black model, and a white background. Hit ok, the window will close and you'll see the marching ants indicating that a selection has been made.

7. With the top most layer selected, click on the ad layer mask button on the bottom of the layers pallet. That created a mask concealing the model and revealing the background... not what we want. So, click on the newly created mask, and invert it by pressing ctrl+i. That'll conceal the background and reveal the model.

8. If you alt click on the actual mask, you'll see that the color range comand didn't give us the perfect mask. It selected white, and well, she is wearing white too. In order to fix it that, paint black. A good idea is to protect the correctly masked out bg by using the burn tool instead of painting. So, paint her top with black, and if you find any non black spots on her (hint: forehead), burn them down to black.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg selection-in-progress.jpg (38.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg proper-selection.jpg (20.4 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by flexmanta; 01-17-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2010, 04:46 PM

flexmanta,

Thank you very much for the elaborate tutorial. I will try this last this evening.
I guess I do what you are suggesting but only on the bottom portion of the image, the area that is gray (floor) only? That way I do not have to deal with her hair or white top, do you agree?

Thank You again
Hadi
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2010, 04:59 PM

I recommend you get that clean selection done. Even if you don't use it for this particular example, get used to making selections. Some people start any retouching by making alpha channels of every single piece of their photos just in case. Practice makes perfect, and it doesn't get any easier than this contrasty photo.

Color range is just one of the many many, i say again, MANY weapons you should keep in your arsenal to fight tricky selections.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2010, 05:02 PM

Oh, and i forgot. Either you finish that selection and mask in the white top back on the top layer (her), or else you will see through it, revealing the lower one which was set to multiply. If you have a grey background, and a white top multiplying it, well, white times grey is grey (in the multiply mode)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2010, 05:10 PM

Thank You again. I just tried what you mention but only on the bottom of the image. So I marqueed the bottom of the image where the floor is going to be placed and did what you did. I went by faster since the masking is much easier and less space. I got the same result as the image you post. Thank you again. That was great help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2010, 11:08 PM

This is all fine and good, but if you want to ground the subject so she does not appear to be floating, you should add a shadow, or a reflection to the the floor.

Adding a shadow or a reflection could also be used to ground the image, while keeping the floor white, if you so desire.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2010, 12:35 AM

How would I add additional shadow please? Can you please point me to a tutorial?
Thank You
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching