RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Skin Tone help?

Old 01-20-2010, 03:16 PM

Re: Skin Tone help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddhaBIO View Post
@kkamin is this the method others named "correction by numbers"? thanks
Yes. I recommend the portrait retouching course at Lynda.com by Chris Orwig if you want to see it in action and explained 1000x better than I did.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
I used to do it the hard way, but somehow, I find better results by doing it the easier way. Adding a gradient map set to color and 40% opacity or less. Make sure to mask out what isn't skin.
Can you explain that process a little bit? I'm looking for some short cuts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexmanta View Post
Hey fotogen, yes, that's what i meant. You correct values for one a sample and that should change the colors of all image. That is exactly what you want. If color shift in a way you don't want them to, then 2 things have happened. Either you chose the wrong sample, or your color were right in the first place. Are you sure you are using your 18% grey card correctly? You can still mask the curves adjustment layer so that it only affects skin, but that should not be necessary since, if one color is right on a photo, then the rest should be too.

http://www.retouchpro.com/pages/skintones.jpg
http://www.retouchpro.com/pages/haircolor.jpg

Those are RGB color charts. Another thing you can do is, if you shoot raw, then check if the background has still some of the info, even if it is out of your histogram. If it does, try using it as your white before making the raw conversion. There are some people who use various conversions for a single psd, ie. one for the eyes, one for the skin and so on (regarding white balance).
flexmanta: As I am sure you know, the 18 % gray card is normally used for two purposes:
Exposure
Color Balance
For color balance, all you need is a neutral color that has R=G=B. White is no longer used since those values can saturate and might look like they are all the same but in fact they are not. So Gray is used at any percentage of reflection, typically 18% or 50%.
To balance the color of the light and prevent any color casting, I photograph the 50% card in the same light I am going to photograph the model with the same exposure. I then force the camera to do "Custom White Balance", event though I am shooting RAW. I then photograph the card again. I do keep the images of the gray card and when looking at the second image in camera raw, it reads 128, 128, 123, ,meaning that it was rendered by the camera as totally neutral.
Am I correct in my way of doing things?

Thank You
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2010, 03:52 PM

Yeah.

1) select skin by using your preffered method.
2) add a Gradient Map adjustment layer.
3) Set the blending to Color.
4) Set the opacity to no more than 40%.
5) set up the gradient map colors to something around the skin colors (you can sample from the skin colors as well).

That's all
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2010, 04:17 PM

Also, when looking at my image that I posted, what do everyone think is wrong please? I know something is not right with the skin tones, but I can not tell if it is the skin color or the un-even tones of skin.

Quantum, Can you please post a before and after if not too much trouble. This sounds really easy
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotogen View Post
flexmanta: As I am sure you know, the 18 % gray card is normally used for two purposes:
Exposure
Color Balance
For color balance, all you need is a neutral color that has R=G=B. White is no longer used since those values can saturate and might look like they are all the same but in fact they are not. So Gray is used at any percentage of reflection, typically 18% or 50%.
To balance the color of the light and prevent any color casting, I photograph the 50% card in the same light I am going to photograph the model with the same exposure. I then force the camera to do "Custom White Balance", event though I am shooting RAW. I then photograph the card again. I do keep the images of the gray card and when looking at the second image in camera raw, it reads 128, 128, 123, ,meaning that it was rendered by the camera as totally neutral.
Am I correct in my way of doing things?

Thank You
I mean to say "when looking at the second image in camera raw, it reads 128, 128, 128". Sorry about that
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2010, 04:46 PM

The skin looks pretty nice I think, except for the arm (too dark and redish) I added a gradient map to it, the change is subtle but effective and dodged with curves that arm. Don't drive yourself so crazy with correct colors, I had worked with tons of photographers and they usually care that the image looks good, even if the skin looks like an alien, if looks good, looks good =D

After (use the before you have to compare):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8814_web_lowBEFR.JPG.jpg (97.8 KB, 161 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2010, 05:57 PM

Quantum, Thanks for your tips and help. You are right, sometime we drive ourselves crazy over small things. It is the perfectionist that lives within most artists. I photograph the images I retouch, so I have no excuse for having bad skin tones due to lighting
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2010, 06:04 PM

Quatum, I just looked at your images on your web site. Amazing work, wow...
Do you mind if I ask you what you do for skin texture please? I have another thread about skin texture and have gotten great tips. Was wondering what you use. Your skin textures are very prominent.

Also, how do you get rid of an eye dropper point once you place it on the image using shift click while in eye dropper mode. I can not delete the point off of my image.
One last question please, Can one set the sensitivity of of the pen pressure of a Wacom tablet in photoshop or using its own utility? I think mine is too sensitive. I have a hard time creating really thin lines with little pressure.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotogen View Post
Quantum, Thanks for your tips and help. You are right, sometime we drive ourselves crazy over small things. It is the perfectionist that lives within most artists. I photograph the images I retouch, so I have no excuse for having bad skin tones due to lighting
Bad skin tones is one thing, but nice ones (whatever realistic or not) is another thing. Don't confuse both.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching