RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Skin Tone help?

Old 01-20-2010, 06:35 PM

Re: Skin Tone help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotogen View Post
Quatum, I just looked at your images on your web site. Amazing work, wow...
Do you mind if I ask you what you do for skin texture please? I have another thread about skin texture and have gotten great tips. Was wondering what you use. Your skin textures are very prominent.

Also, how do you get rid of an eye dropper point once you place it on the image using shift click while in eye dropper mode. I can not delete the point off of my image.
One last question please, Can one set the sensitivity of of the pen pressure of a Wacom tablet in photoshop or using its own utility? I think mine is too sensitive. I have a hard time creating really thin lines with little pressure.
Let see...

The technique I use is splitting into frequencies: http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=439098 and a bit of degrunge: http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=213 (the part of the quick degrunge). Then I do different sharpens depending on the image size by using the splitting technique once more (you can use that technique for almost all the retouching work).

To get ride of the eyedroper sample points just select your eyedroper and look for the "clear" button on the tools bar. You may need to cicle between those measurement tools. I usually don't use those, but the "clear" button is around theere. Also, by holding Alt, I think, you can Alt click and that should remove the sampler point, try with Alt or Ctrl/Cmd if not working with Alt.

Mmmhhh The wacom thing... You can set the pressure in PS by going to the brushes palette and checking Shape Dynamics. Set the corresponding slider to zero, or you will have a jitter thing when drawing. Also, you can set the minimum diameter of the brush when pressing the pen. I use to check that box if I want to activate the pressure. Also, if you set a flow of 1%-4% you can avoid pressing your pen to obtain more opacity. I just use flow and sometimes the shape dynamics feature, for masking for example. And then you can vary the brush size, for example, the bigger the brush size, the more pressure you will have to apply.

With the wacom settings you can accent or diminish these settings.

Hope this helps,

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2010, 07:44 PM

Mart, I still can not remove the eye dropper samples on the image. I can move them using Cntr key but can not find the clear button. I feel really stupid
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Mart, I still can not remove the eye dropper samples on the image. I can move them using Cntr key but can not find the clear button. I feel really stupid
There is the thing, let me know if that helps:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Captura de Pantalla 3b.jpg (71.3 KB, 78 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Patron

Fotogen, to get rid of the eyedroper samples (they are also referred to as targets), activate the Eyedropper tool, hold down the Shift key (on a PC) abd move the tool over a sample (target). Once over the target the eyedropper symbol will turn into an arrow. When this happens click your mouse and drag the sample all the way off the image into the norder of the monitor - and its gone.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2010, 10:19 PM

Murray, Mart,

I got it now Thank you both. SHIFT and clicking on the eye dropper and dragging it off the canvas deletes the sample point.
I was using the wrong Eye Dropper, It is Sample Color one that has "Clear" button
Sorry about that.

Thank You again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clear_Button_Missing_Eye_Dropper.jpg (33.3 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2010, 10:58 PM
Patron

Fotogen, There clear button will only appear if the Color Sampler Tool is selected from the toolbar (which most of us never use directly). If the Eyedropper tool is selected, the clear box is not present in the tool bar. Therefore to delete a Sampler you ether need to Shift + Drag it off the canvas OR if you hold down the Alt Key and position the eyedropper over the sample it will turn into a scissors and if you click your mouse it will delete the sampler without having to drag it.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
Yeah.

1) select skin by using your preffered method.
2) add a Gradient Map adjustment layer.
3) Set the blending to Color.
4) Set the opacity to no more than 40%.
5) set up the gradient map colors to something around the skin colors (you can sample from the skin colors as well).

That's all
Thanks. I am confused as to what it is doing exactly? Is it like split toning? Does one end of the gradient target the dark tones and the other end target the light tones?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 11:41 PM

Fotogen,
This pertains to your original question, and I didn't read all the post here so forgive me if I repeat someone else's post. I think the skin tones acually look very nice, at least on my laptop monitor (calibrated but not perfect). You didn't mention what kind of gray card you used to set the white balance. Not all gray cards are meant for white balance, eg. the Kodak gray card is more suited to determining exposure and is not really neutral gray. I think there is a range of acceptable skin tones, not just one. I once had a designer tell me that the skin tones in a photo I had done were not correct (there were 5 people, all with different skin). She then proceeded to tell me what the correct readings should be in CMYK (didn't mention which person or what part of the face the readings should be taken from). I had a hard time even knowing where to begin responding, she expected them to all look exactly the same.

You have pretty neutral surroundings in your photo, so it's pretty easy to eyeball. The perception of colors are greatly affected by surrounding colors. If this were a blue or green background, the skin colors, though technically correct would not appear so to the eye. Sometimes you just have to use your best judgment based on experience to get what you're looking for.

By the way, the newest version of Capture One Pro (version 5) has a nice feature for working with skin tones, including evening out tones in a nice way that doesn't look too fake or processed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2010, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Murray, Mart,

I got it now Thank you both. SHIFT and clicking on the eye dropper and dragging it off the canvas deletes the sample point.
I was using the wrong Eye Dropper, It is Sample Color one that has "Clear" button
Sorry about that.

Thank You again
YEah, it's not the eyedropper, but you can cicle between those measurement tools by shift "I". Each time you press "I" by holding Shift, you cicle between the measurement tools. Note the eyedroper in the tools bar in the screenshot I passed you, it's not the simple eyedroper
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holgaman View Post
Fotogen,
This pertains to your original question, and I didn't read all the post here so forgive me if I repeat someone else's post. I think the skin tones acually look very nice, at least on my laptop monitor (calibrated but not perfect). You didn't mention what kind of gray card you used to set the white balance. Not all gray cards are meant for white balance, eg. the Kodak gray card is more suited to determining exposure and is not really neutral gray. I think there is a range of acceptable skin tones, not just one. I once had a designer tell me that the skin tones in a photo I had done were not correct (there were 5 people, all with different skin). She then proceeded to tell me what the correct readings should be in CMYK (didn't mention which person or what part of the face the readings should be taken from). I had a hard time even knowing where to begin responding, she expected them to all look exactly the same.

You have pretty neutral surroundings in your photo, so it's pretty easy to eyeball. The perception of colors are greatly affected by surrounding colors. If this were a blue or green background, the skin colors, though technically correct would not appear so to the eye. Sometimes you just have to use your best judgment based on experience to get what you're looking for.

By the way, the newest version of Capture One Pro (version 5) has a nice feature for working with skin tones, including evening out tones in a nice way that doesn't look too fake or processed.
holgaman: Sorry, I meant to thank you for responding to this thread. Highly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching