RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Skin Tone help?

Old 02-25-2010, 08:10 AM

Re: Skin Tone help?

The magical ratio of the CMYK values in the skin tones always should be 0.2 to 0.33 Cyan, 1 Magenta, slightly more Yellow. I.e. :

C:8
M:30
Y: 32
K:0.

Move the cursor over the highlights on the skin and watch the info panel. Always take the sample from the highlights. K should be zero.

Of course this is merely for neutralized colors without special ambient lighting applied.
That's actually very helpful if you have portraits without a useful white/black/grey reference.
Called: neutralisation via skin tone by numbers.

Btw: You desaturated the image too much in my opinion.

Last edited by _jason_; 02-25-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2010, 10:10 AM

Hadi - are you printing these? or just posting an image?
myself i aim for print out colors.
i downloaded Skin colors charts. then print it out on the printer i use. if the client says i print from so and so. go there and print the chart there. then i aim for those Values on the chart on my monitor.
if you have client - hand them the print out of the skin chart. ask them what color you want to see when printing out their photo.
a good target is the forehead - not the brightest - not the darkest.

small story - i edited a friends wedding photos. i knew he had a printer at home. so i knew he would print them out there. so i aimed for his printer.
he told me he just wanted them to see on the screen. but i wanted the best for him and his wife.
he called me the next day and said his wife's dress is so bright he couldn't see any details - all colors are way to bright and look funny.
i told him to turn down the contrast until he did see detail in her dress.
bingo - he was a very happy camper.

you need to tell/help the client what they are going to see from many places they are going to view them.

every bodies monitor is different! so you get many opinions but none are really the answer.
make the client happy. they are the ones getting the word out they were happy with 'your work'.

now when editing other people photos they post. i just try to match all their skin close. then warm it up.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2010, 10:40 PM

What I find the quickest way to fix even out skin tones is the use hue/saturation adjustments, select the colourise option, drag the slider until you get the hue and then adjust the saturation slider to tone this down, once you get the colour you want, bring up a colour balance adjustment and modify your shadow, midtones and highlight till you get a more natural skin colour.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2010, 08:19 PM

Hi everyone, my name is Ben, just saying hello to the group.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2010, 08:21 PM

Hello everyone, glad to be a part of the group.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrito-b View Post
Hello everyone, glad to be a part of the group.
Welcome, some very talented people here
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2010, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkamin View Post
Your image is full of neutral tones to color balance from. Use the eye dropper tool in PS, change the sample size to at least '11x11 pixels' which is located on the context sensitive, overhead bar, and hold down the shift key to drop sample points in your neutral areas--the light gray in the bottom right would be good as well as her light black shirt. If the info palette you will be able to see the color information of your sample points and they will be numbered.

Make a curves adjustment layer. Choose the 'target adjustment tool' in the curves window (it is a finger pointing upward next to a double-ended arrow). You want to get the R,G,B channels to be the same number for your sample points since you sampled in neutral toned areas. For example, if the BLUE number is too high at your light gray sample point, go into the blue channel and with the Target Adjustment Tool selected, click and drag on that sample point and drag it up or down to change the value. you can also just click the sample point and then use the arrow keys to control the point on the curve. Do that to both your neutral points and see how it looks. It is good to have a series of neutral points to balance off of, that is why they sell those gray scale cards with normally anywhere from 3-11 steps.

Sometimes balancing your neutrals won't completely neutralize the color casts on skin tone and you need to go in and color correct the skin tones themselves. Same idea, go in and drop some sample points on the skin. You want to select an area outside of a highlight on the face. Sample a few areas. And in the info palette, change your sample point information from RGB to CMYK. A starting point with color balancing skin is to have your Cyan value about 3 to 5 times as small as Yellow (or have yellow be between 3-5 times that of Cyan...same thing). Magenta close in value to Yellow, but Yellow a little big higher. blacK should be 0 if you sampled a light enough area outside a highlight. This is for Caucasian skin like your model, so an example of good numbers would be C:5 M:20 Y:22 K:0. See how Yellow between 3-5 times as large as Cyan, and Yellow is slightly bigger than Magenta. This is just a starting point and you can further make adjustments from here. Many professionals swear by this recipe. I find this technique as a starting point very crucial. If there is a cast on the skin, sometimes it is hard to see since our eyes adjust to color casts or along the same vein we can have a hard time seeing subtle color problems until identified and corrected. Numbers are a good solid reference point for neutrals and work fairly well for skin.
Let me correct something please: the eyedropper must be in a diffuse highlight of the face, normally cheeks, above eyebrows, for instance. Regarding the values, the best is MAGENTA must be exactly 3 times than CYAN and yellow very similar to MAGENTA but higher and can't exceed 5 times CYAN.

The best way is to look for the best white point in the diffused highlite and then use this values: CYAN 7 MAGENTA 21 YELLOW 35 KEY 0

Never fails. The secret it's on selecting placement for eyedropper.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrponce View Post
Let me correct something please: the eyedropper must be in a diffuse highlight of the face, normally cheeks, above eyebrows, for instance. Regarding the values, the best is MAGENTA must be exactly 3 times than CYAN and yellow very similar to MAGENTA but higher and can't exceed 5 times CYAN.

The best way is to look for the best white point in the diffused highlite and then use this values: CYAN 7 MAGENTA 21 YELLOW 35 KEY 0

Never fails. The secret it's on selecting placement for eyedropper.
Your yellow is waaaaay too high, it rarely exceeds 10 points more than magenta on a well lit area. And I disagree with your idea about the magenta being exactly three times cyan. People with darker skin will have more cyan in their skin color and it makes any words like 'exactly' non-compatible. Even Caucasians will have different degrees of C,M,or Y. I also disagree about sampling from inside a diffuse highlight too. There isn't much color information at times in those areas, depending on the style of photography and how shiny the skin is. I learned the best areas to sample is just outside the bright highlight areas.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching