RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Retouching with non-destructive layers.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:19 PM

Retouching with non-destructive layers.

Hello all again,

I had a question about using non-destructive layers when doing beauty retouching. I recently viewed the .psd file by Godmother [amazing for you to share]. One thing i noticed is the amount of layers being used. Every time I retouch a picture, I find my self flattening the image to work on the next process. can you give me insight into how to correctly use non-destructive layers. Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2010, 03:13 PM

Re: Retouching with non-destructive layers.

That seems a little broad but, basically you should keep each set of major (sometimes minor) changes on separate layers. I think it may work best to use my own workflow as an example...

1.open the image
2. dupe bg layer
3. basic tonal corrections w/adjustment layer
4. blemish removal on the duplicated layer
5. duplicate healed layer
6. structural changes (if necessary)
7. Curves adjustment layer for shadows
8. Mask in areas that need deeper shadows
9. Curves adjustment layer for highlights
10. Mask in areas that need stronger highlights

I can keep going, but I think that's enough. Just remember that your goal is to work in steps that can be modified individually at any point in the process. You only limit your ability to explore your work when you constantly flatten the layers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2010, 03:35 PM

What you have to think about is to have the option of controlling each individual adjustment you make. Working none destructively means that the original is never touched just modified by the layers above it, it also helps if you make a retouch and then you need to change a certain aspect of it later, if you flattened you're stuck with correcting what you already have or starting from scratch again. I also think that working none destructively is to use layers that are dependent on the original to work instead of making a copy of the original and working on that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2010, 03:59 PM

You can clone with sample Current & Below on blank layer. It allows You to create retouching layer, that contains only chenged pixels. The same method works also with Healing Brush.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberek View Post
You can clone with sample Current & Below on blank layer. It allows You to create retouching layer, that contains only chenged pixels. The same method works also with Healing Brush.
Thats kind of what I am looking for they ability to use the heal and clone tool non-destructively, I have seen other workflows with what looks like a blank layer but it is covering the blemishes. How do you use the clone tool in such ways.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2010, 08:23 PM

Another question is how do you do adjustment [ie Curves, Levels] on it own layer. I saw it on another post see here ( http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...e-quality.html) thanks again.

EDIT: OK every time i post a question I seem to find the answer on my own... not that it is a bad thing... but I still want to learn how to clone from different layers

EDIT: Just found the sample drop down menu on using current and below... just had to ask to find my answers

Last edited by 636Productions; 01-19-2010 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Found Info
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2010, 07:46 AM

For others, who search:
sample : current&below option is showed on attached image.

Non destructive levels, curves etc are done on layers palete with black/white circle (at bottom of it) pressed and needed adjustement layer selected. New adjustement layer is then added to layer stack on top of it and can be adjusted anytime needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen.jpg (92.5 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 09:06 PM

I can remember a mentor telling me "If you dont learn to use layers effectively...you will never learn to break through to being as professional a you can." I was asking if I needed to be a "layers geek" to be good...and the answer is YES! Almost every major step I do is on a separate layer...this gives me amazing power and precise control.

The other aspect of amazing retouching is to always use non-destructive retouching techniques...when you do that... your image is clean, transparent, original detail is maintained, and every effect is absolutely and totally adjustable at all times...even after you have saved and re-opened the image. The visual power of non-destructive editing is totally worth the time you will put into learning it.

Keep going...keep exploring...this would be a wonderful thread to maybe all learn another trick or two about Non-Destructive Retouching.

Ray12
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2010, 02:02 PM

I'd like to hear more about non-destructive retouching.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching