RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Creative skin adjustment

Old 01-20-2010, 04:49 AM

Creative skin adjustment

The retouched skin is on the right side and the image has been cropped to show specific detail. What I am going for is that bronze/chocolatey desaturated look that I've seen in a lot of fashion magazine photography. I don't know how better to describe it.

The process feels sloppy, but so far I've:

-desatured the skin a bit.

-Pumped up the values for the mid-tone color balance in the R,G,B channels (added a bit of density to the skin tone after desaturation).

-In selective color's red channel I added a lot of cyan and black. In selective color's yellow channel I added some black.

-Selected the skin highlights and brought them up in tone a bit and blurred them.

-desaturated the overall image a little

--------

I'm not sure if it's there completely yet. I don't want her to look black, I'm looking for an easily identifiable creative color adjustment. If you know the look I'm going for, any feedback will be appreciated.

I'm also worried about her arms. My light is falling off quickly and her arms are darker than her face and upper body. Will it look funny if I keep them how they are? Since her face and exposed upper body are brighter with a sheen?

Thanks for reading,
Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tearra_skin_color_adjust.jpg (98.5 KB, 301 views)

Last edited by kkamin; 01-20-2010 at 04:56 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 10:03 AM

Re: Creative skin adjustment

looking good. I actually think overall its a little dark which goes with the stylistic feel of it but I would like to see a little more detail in the hair especially. And yes, I would personally brighten up the arm but just a TAD. You might also want to soften/fix the shadows on her neck and throat...it looks like she is straining to breathe!! But I definitely like the color adjustments you did. nice work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 01:51 PM

add a curve layer and warm it up at tad, she looks dead. basic simple advice: play around gently pulling the middle points mask out the areas you don't want effected. you really need to read up on curves if you're going to do color. no way around it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 02:45 PM

The overall process is commonly done and it looks great. I agree with rsvrdogg86 on his pointers. Nevertheless, thank you for sharing to an outstanding process.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 03:48 PM

I think it looks great. Thats actualy what I love about retouching black skin. This technique goes very well with some over the top contouring.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klottese View Post
add a curve layer and warm it up at tad, she looks dead. basic simple advice: play around gently pulling the middle points mask out the areas you don't want effected. you really need to read up on curves if you're going to do color. no way around it.
Thanks for the reply. I know how to use curves and how to color correct. I'm going for a color adjustment rather than a color correction.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsvrdogg86 View Post
looking good. I actually think overall its a little dark which goes with the stylistic feel of it but I would like to see a little more detail in the hair especially. And yes, I would personally brighten up the arm but just a TAD. You might also want to soften/fix the shadows on her neck and throat...it looks like she is straining to breathe!! But I definitely like the color adjustments you did. nice work.
Thanks for the tips! I agree completely. Thanks for getting me back on track.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2010, 12:23 AM

I worked on this some more. I lightened the shadows under the chin and around the eyes. I lightened the arms. I tweaked the skin tone a little more.

I didn't know how to add more detail to the hair. I did make a curves adjustment and brought up the luminance and masked that into parts of her hair. It bumped the highlights up but didn't do much else because her hair is so black in this image.
I'm open to ideas on how to bring out detail in the hair.

And let me know what else you see that could be improved.

Thanks, everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tearra_retouch_02.jpg (75.0 KB, 81 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2010, 05:26 AM

Great image and toning. It looks great, with the throat with that darkness and all the image a bit dark looks perfect. Except for the hair, it needs a bit more of brightness, just to see some detail there, but the whole thing looks great. You also been the photographer?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2010, 05:46 AM

kkamin, unless you are working 16bits and a decent color space, that hair will need that you "create" something. There are amazing hair brushes for sale as in "chunks of hair" from which you can extract patterns and structures.

Now, the best thing you can do is, if you are lucky to have the raw file, make a brighter conversion just for the hair. Layer it, mask out the non hair areas, and blend in accordingly.

Let me suggest again that you contour that skin, it's begging for it. Good job.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching