Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Rate our Beauty Retouching Tutorial

Old 01-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Re: Rate our Beauty Retouching Tutorial

I love how there's about 9840934 ways to do the same thing in Photoshop. Many roads, etc etc.

That being said, I work at a studio in NYC and granted, I've only been here doing serious beauty/fashion retouching for a few months; we do things much more simply. No high-pass filtering, no dust n scratches, and a bare minimum of exotic masking techniques. I routinely only use clone stamp, history brush, dodge and burn right on the layer, and liquify. Not in that order though hah. All the color work is done on adjustment layers on the top. Simplicity seems to yield the best results.

Advertising retouching is another story though, and I think that the Hill, Greenburg and generally heavy-stylized workflows are more common in that sector. It's where I spent the majority of my almost decade long retouching career.

And I'm not saying that beauty vs. advertising is better or worse, just that they're different.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2010, 12:45 AM
Re: Rate our Beauty Retouching Tutorial

"And I'm not saying that beauty vs. advertising is better or worse, just that they're different."

So true, and not to leave out advertising FOR beauty and hair....those are extreme retouching. But thats what the client wants, so you deliver. Then again, personally, we as photographers prefer medium rare at the most. Just because that overcooked retouching has become an industry standard doesn't mean it is good. They are only real as the products they advertise claim to be.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching