RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Rate our Beauty Retouching Tutorial

Old 01-22-2010, 07:06 AM

Rate our Beauty Retouching Tutorial

Hello,

we would like some of the pro retouchers (Chris/Ant if you guys are listening) to rate/comment on our indepth retouching tutorial here

http://lidophotography.blogspot.com/...etouching.html

with their views as we are coming up with one more soon and would like to improve.

All enthusiasts are always welcome as we like to share what we've learnt and hearing comments always opens eyes to newer perspectives. There are NO secrets anymore....just hardcore skill and patience.

The newbies are in for a treat

sid
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2010, 03:50 AM

Re: Rate our Beauty Retouching Tutorial

I´m reading it right now, good point for newbies!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2010, 05:17 AM

Making a tutorial of smething soooooooooooo detailed like beauty and in a blog is impossible. A DVD duration of this subject isn't enough (some of them are about 10 hours) so imagine doing THE tutorial and written... who will read it? I think you're pointing into an impractical direction. You can touch beauty retouching just like many others did, by showing ugly and fast techniques such as applying surface blur to skin, or using HP, or things like that. A newbie will never get a professional looking image (whatever been the field) because the road to professionalism or amazing good looking images is very, very long. It's not just watching DVDs, so imagine reading tutorials in a blog... And second, to drive along that road you need lot of gas/oil, which is the passion. And passion drives us to learn from many sources, and to practice, tests our selves, been days without sleep and eat, working and practicing surpassing not only our human capabilities, also our own professional capabilities in order to achieve our goal of perfection with the highest skills possible. Tell a newbie to stay 38 hours in front of the computer, learning, working and experimenting at the same time. He will sprint out the hell!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2010, 05:52 AM

... and i don't like when they pass such detailed stuff for free. It boycotts people who have released payware instructional videos and, to some extent, it makes a hobby out of what for some, is a way to make a living. But that is just my opinion, and I'm aware that it might be too extreme.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2010, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexmanta View Post
... and i don't like when they pass such detailed stuff for free. It boycotts people who have released payware instructional videos and, to some extent, it makes a hobby out of what for some, is a way to make a living. But that is just my opinion, and I'm aware that it might be too extreme.
You're right, mate. However, these tutorials are a dead end. A person may know how to fashion desaturate but the way to use the tools are impossible to tutorialize, not to mention the creative talent. Some people believe they are able to become creative professionals in 5 steps, but it's all about practice and experience. We can learn the notes of the scale, but only the passionated will sing like a god. It's a matter of sensivity, then practice; passion drives both. Who walks along the simple path, will never achieve the self-realization so don't worry about this
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2010, 06:06 AM

I could agree in some ways with you but, if I were a newbie I would like to start at some point. Why can´t this point be this one? Could you please recommend THE BETTER one? I will be very glad to hear from you (and I´m not afraid to stay 38 hours in front of my computer).
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2010, 07:59 AM

I think this site is for all and kinds of people interested in the subject!

Those left brain dominated folks will learn techniques and apply them to the best of their ability and be happy with what they get. I doubt that they have any interested in penetrating the Profession. Those that have an artistic desire WILL learn the methods no matter what time or money it requires.

The result is that more and more people will begin to practice the science and the art of quality work. Another thread here deals with the fear of competition from India (soon China) as well as many independent industrious people from all over the World.

We choose to live in a "Market Driven" economy and in some ways (not all), that has benefitted most of us and continues to do so. Look at the Wedding Photographer and how well the creative among us are competing, in spite of the many in attendance at these events with equipment better than what we had just a few years ago!

I think that this thread is great for a "newbie"! And I suggest anybody unhappy with it read a very small ( pages) book written several years ago that is a good guide to living with the thinking about the "problem" . It is called "Who Moved My Cheese".
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2010, 08:07 AM

Thumbs up Re: Rate our Beauty Retouching Tutorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddhaBIO View Post
I could agree in some ways with you but, if I were a newbie I would like to start at some point. Why can´t this point be this one? Could you please recommend THE BETTER one? I will be very glad to hear from you (and I´m not afraid to stay 38 hours in front of my computer).
That's the attitude, mate. There is not an starting point, the point is having the willing to start and do it. It's through the tutorials shown in that blog, the tutorials shown in retouchPRO, reading forums, watching DVDs, watching in Youtube, looking what others do, discerning how they could achieve certain results, etc... When you really want to start it doesn't matter which starting point you choose because your willing is so, so high, that doesn't care nothing but learn and practice at any cost. But the newbie must understand that there are not magic tricks, steps or shortcuts. It's a very long path with lots of obstacles.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2010, 10:36 AM

Thank you very much for your knowledge Quantum3. Nice to hear some warm words. By the way I love your portfolio, full of very interesting retouches.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddhaBIO View Post
Thank you very much for your knowledge Quantum3. Nice to hear some warm words. By the way I love your portfolio, full of very interesting retouches.
Thanks, mate. I had started doing crap, but that didn't stopped me of practicing and getting better and better. I never felt bad because the crap I used to do, all the opposite. That's another thing a newbie must understand, always feel good with what it's able to do. The newbie must feel proud of its own advances, of its own self-superation in order to succes.

Here is the first thing I did in PS (August 22 - 2001):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pola Nocturna.jpg (29.5 KB, 69 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching