RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Fix the background

Old 01-22-2010, 07:55 AM

Fix the background

I need to remove this background and replace it with another but i'm not sure how to do it any suggestions. I know that I have to select her but then what? This is kind of the look I'm going for http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/att...1&d=1209123548
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouchpro.jpg (71.9 KB, 161 views)

Last edited by tigerphoto; 01-22-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2010, 08:24 AM

Re: Fix the background

After you selected her, create a layer mask to hide the background and put a new background below her. Watch out for these nasty things like perspective, lighting etc. or they'll come and bite you later ;-)

Or are you more interested in how to select her? For this case I'd use the "Image"-"Calculations", put Blue as the first channel, Red as the second one and choose "Add" from the pulldown menu (Offset -30, Scale 1). The rest is further contrast enhancement with the dodge & burn tools ([O]).
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2010, 08:47 AM

hey der w I edited the post check it out and let me know what you think. My question is more how do I create that background. Here is my first attempt to retouch it. I know I have to fix the hair but the background doesnt look real.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouchpro ash.jpg (28.8 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by tigerphoto; 01-22-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2010, 10:24 AM

The main problem I can see is that your edit is missing a shadow. Just look at the original image and how the shadow falls there.
Next there's a very bright spot just behind her although the doesn't seem to far away from her. The only reason I can think of is that her back is glowing and I don't quite think that's really the case ;-).
And the tiles on the bottom look a little off, try to get the same perspective for it as for her.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2010, 10:43 AM

What tiles and what are your recommendations any tutorials out there I can follow
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2010, 11:32 AM

Uhm, not exactly tiles, it's more like lines on the bottom. All of them have the same distance which makes them look unrealistic because going farer away the distance should get smaller.
Google for tutorials about perspective, that's all I can tell you. Or try to look at the things in real life. If you don't know how your image would look like if you had shot it that way, try to reproduce it.

Btw.: There's some weird color at her feed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2010, 08:00 PM

I think it will just take a pen selection for the mask..then select black and a lighter gray and add a gradient. You may want to lighten her...especially her face and perhaps crop.

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CF009628_orig_resized.jpg (83.5 KB, 67 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2010, 05:55 AM

Nah, she didn't need lightening. And that crop killed the photo (never ever ever amputate people by the joint... especially if you can see skin).

Now, ill have a go. I can see you did work out a nice lighting on this one. I assume you shot tungsten and had a bare flash for separation, right? Nice blueish separation ( i like to use two of those). Now, for your background you can also create gradients simulating feathered lights. Also, to get rid if the unrealistic look of perfect photoshop gradients, there are some things you can do. Basically you can use 2 filters: Clouds and beveled-and-embossed noise. The best thing to use those 2, is to first create the texture to be overlayed on the bg layer, and then, apply it with the help of vanishing point.

Other thing you can do, and what more and more people are doing now, is using some 3d layers. Doesn't have to be a fantasy world that you create behind her. The advantage is that you can use bump mapping that will react to lights accordingly. It's very very subtle, but it'll make it not look like just a distorted texture.

Last edited by flexmanta; 01-23-2010 at 06:02 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2010, 10:59 PM

Hi Flexman

Thanks for the honest commits. I did think about the cut off and would not have done it but the example picture was small...I was only displaying the background not a final picture...but I did think the face needed lighting...of course it is just taste.

I thought your description of what you would do for the background was interesting and I hope you post your example as promised.

Thanks again Butch
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2010, 02:26 AM

No worries Daviskw. It's just, as retouchers you have to think like a photographer too. See, before i started starting photography, i had only touched photoshop at home and for many years without any professional input at all... and i didn't even know how to use a light meter. Now, at the studio, you do learn to think as a photographer and learn that, high key is meant to stay high key, and low key is just the same. Sometimes photogs give you photos with clearly clipped shadows and you, as a retoucher say "hey, those blacks are still full of info in the raw file... ill do this photog a favor and light the whole thinh up", You open up the shadows and it's almost like you're insulting the photographer as he says: HEY, ARE YOU TELLING ME I DON'T KNOW HOW TO LIGHT!?

Although, between you and me... i don think this one is indeed underexposed. Colored separation light, fill, smiling model. Looks to me like this is not the kind of lighting you use in low key. So, opening F a couple stops wouldn't have hurt and that too is only my opinion.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching