RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

URGENT: VGA vs DVI

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 01-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Quantum3 Quantum3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 911
Re: URGENT: VGA vs DVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladesman View Post
Why not get it from Amazon? $329.
Unfortunately, Argentina is not authorized to receive stuff from any Amazon website like, but books, CD's and DVD's... Also Wacom, for example, is not allowed to send tablets to Argentina, but to the resellers from here, but the price is incremented in a 50% or more. Don't know why, but it's related with the regulations of the government and stuff like that and they were making more regulations and laws to increase the value of the imported stuff (and weirdely, they had raised the value of the national goods as well, we buy national goods at the same price they're in Europe or even more expensive and the salaries here are 4-7 times lower than in Europe. For example, a milkbox 1 liter cost $1usd; 1 Kg tomatoes $1,60usd; potatoes 1 Kg $1,30 usd; toothpaste $1,60usd, etc).
Reply With Quote top
  #12  
Old 01-23-2010, 03:22 PM
gladesman gladesman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 62
Re: URGENT: VGA vs DVI

When you said not available in your state, I assumed you lived in this country. Wow, that's too bad about the cost of living in Argentina. Guess the good thing is the scenery makes up for it.

Anyway, (you probably already know this, but in case...) if you get a monitor with DVI, one of the things you might do is right click the desktop, go to Appearances, Effects, and in the pop up window, click Clear Type.
Gives a cleaner look to dvi, especially fonts, so it can't hurt.
Reply With Quote top
  #13  
Old 01-23-2010, 03:30 PM
Quantum3 Quantum3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 911
Re: URGENT: VGA vs DVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladesman View Post
When you said not available in your state, I assumed you lived in this country. Wow, that's too bad about the cost of living in Argentina. Guess the good thing is the scenery makes up for it.

Anyway, (you probably already know this, but in case...) if you get a monitor with DVI, one of the things you might do is right click the desktop, go to Appearances, Effects, and in the pop up window, click Clear Type.
Gives a cleaner look to dvi, especially fonts, so it can't hurt.
Thanks for the advice mate.

And the Intuos 4 medium I bought cost it $700usd

By the way, how much cost milk, potatoes and such in your country?
Reply With Quote top
  #14  
Old 01-23-2010, 03:52 PM
gladesman gladesman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 62
Re: URGENT: VGA vs DVI

Milk $1.20 per litre
Tomatoes maybe $2.50/lb, which is .5kg
Sirloin steak $6/lb=.5kg

Your food prices may be lower than ours by the look of it, but then I don't know how far a US Dollar goes in Argentina. What is the exchange rate?
Reply With Quote top
  #15  
Old 01-23-2010, 04:20 PM
Quantum3 Quantum3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 911
Re: URGENT: VGA vs DVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladesman View Post
Milk $1.20 per litre
Tomatoes maybe $2.50/lb, which is .5kg
Sirloin steak $6/lb=.5kg

Your food prices may be lower than ours by the look of it, but then I don't know how far a US Dollar goes in Argentina. What is the exchange rate?
As far as I see, the food prices in your state are a bit cheaper than in Argentina, the Sirloin Steak is much, much cheaper in your state!!!! We pay $4usd per 1 Kg of meat here... And the meat isn't imported! Also the tomatoes you have it much cheaper! And the ones I buy here are not imported as well!

The exchange... With 5 dollars you can buy here food for 1 day and 1 person (including 1,5 litter coke $1,20usd), so you will need around $130-$150usd per month, more or less in food for 1 person. Houses are cheap, you can get 1 big house in one of the richest neighborhoods from my state by $390usd/month, just the rent (this neighborhood is like one of middle-low class from yours), then you have the home taxes (landlord) and the services taxes (gas, water, electricity, phone, internet, cellphone, etc), something around $265usd more or less per month. Now we're getting around $810-$830/month for a nice living without buying clothes, electro/technology stuff, furniture or health care and using public schools/universities. That's the cost of life in Argentina.

Now the salaries, so you can get the idea.

An average salary goes from $315usd to $473usd/month. You see? time to lower our expenses! Not making phone calls, not using the cell phone (these are the expensive ones), using the available sunlight, forget the freezer and the washing machine, etc. Just use the computer and the available sunlight. And also remember we're not using a health care system or buying stuff. We can consider going living in some crappy neighborhood, where the probabilities to been robbed in-house are about 35% and 95% in the streets on night, 35% on day. If you carry something valuable, 100% of possibilities in night or day, doesn't matter.

Mart
Reply With Quote top
  #16  
Old 01-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Quantum3 Quantum3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 911
Re: URGENT: VGA vs DVI

By the way, what about the vignetting these cheap monitors produce? a DVI one will display no vignetting?
Reply With Quote top
  #17  
Old 01-23-2010, 06:00 PM
gladesman gladesman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 62
Re: URGENT: VGA vs DVI

I've never seen vignetting on a half decent dvi monitor.

You may be noticing fall off from the poor angle of view that a TN monitor panel displays. If you don't sit directly in front of the screen you don't see the best detail, whether in color or text.

Until the Dell I mentioned came out, all 22 inch monitors came with TN panels. They are impossible to calibrate as well.
Reply With Quote top
  #18  
Old 01-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Chain's Avatar
Chain Chain is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 551
Re: URGENT: VGA vs DVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryb View Post
hi,
just a few thoughts... my reply is similar to others ....
i noticed you have a short time line to make your decision...mm... anyway

1. you can have interference weather it a analog or dvi !
a. good analog video cables having good shielding and probably a doughnut shape filter wrap around the cable to minimize noise issue.. very noticable...
if cheap cables are used , either buy a good cable , or generally people go to there local radio shack pick up some emi/rfi filters for there cables (ie video or there mouse or for any others) the filters are cheap...
2. dvi generally give you better signals because of the higher bandwidth of the cable.... (and this includes if your vide card has dvi output...) also good dvi cable well shielded!! so a coupel of things to think about in getting a dvi cable...
a. that it well shielded.. generally triple shielding and also the connectors are shielded!!! some of your cheap dvi calble there not or poor shielded..
b. another thing look at the band pass of the dvi cable!! ... make sure the bandpass specs of the cable easily meets your monitor resolution , yo don't want a 2 gig band pass when your operting in 1600x 1800 or what ever..

well those are my 2 cents worth... good luck
To make sure the above doesn't confuse anyone;
VGA == ALL noise/interference will be displayed (it's an analogue signal)*.
If it is very little noise it might not be visible depending on the image being displayed.
DVI == ABSOLUTELY NO NOISE IN THE PICTURE*.
*Yes, the cable signal will recieve interference like any other cable, but it is a DIGITAL signal meaning it is VERY noise resistant. When the monitor receives the signal there will be NO visible noise OR a corrupted/very scrambled picture (I have never seen this actually happen - maybe you can do it if you wrap 10 m unshielded cable around a power transformer or something :P).

There will be NO difference between a cheap unshielded DVI cable and a 10000$ gold plated magic DVI cable for you. The key word is digital signal.

Test view something like http://slorg.freeshell.org/pictures/checkerboard%27.png at 100% (full size) zoom. A VGA connector will probably give you weird colors and moving patterns. A digital connection (e.g. DVI or HDMI) will give you a superfine black/white grid (any discomfort viewing it is caused by your brain...).**
**Assumes you view it at native resolution of your monitor.

---

When did this conversation turn into discussion of food prices? O_o

---

I'm slightly drunk now so excuse any grammatical errors
Reply With Quote top
  #19  
Old 01-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Quantum3 Quantum3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 911
Re: URGENT: VGA vs DVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladesman View Post
I've never seen vignetting on a half decent dvi monitor.

You may be noticing fall off from the poor angle of view that a TN monitor panel displays. If you don't sit directly in front of the screen you don't see the best detail, whether in color or text.

Until the Dell I mentioned came out, all 22 inch monitors came with TN panels. They are impossible to calibrate as well.
Yeah, fall off, I think we're talking about the same thing (vignetting). In the monitor we bought, when paning the image up or down, the image goes darker or brigther, DVI will be the same thing?

Mart
Reply With Quote top
  #20  
Old 01-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Quantum3 Quantum3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 911
Thumbs up Re: URGENT: VGA vs DVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
To make sure the above doesn't confuse anyone;
VGA == ALL noise/interference will be displayed (it's an analogue signal)*.
If it is very little noise it might not be visible depending on the image being displayed.
DVI == ABSOLUTELY NO NOISE IN THE PICTURE*.
*Yes, the cable signal will recieve interference like any other cable, but it is a DIGITAL signal meaning it is VERY noise resistant. When the monitor receives the signal there will be NO visible noise OR a corrupted/very scrambled picture (I have never seen this actually happen - maybe you can do it if you wrap 10 m unshielded cable around a power transformer or something :P).

There will be NO difference between a cheap unshielded DVI cable and a 10000$ gold plated magic DVI cable for you. The key word is digital signal.

Test view something like http://slorg.freeshell.org/pictures/checkerboard%27.png at 100% (full size) zoom. A VGA connector will probably give you weird colors and moving patterns. A digital connection (e.g. DVI or HDMI) will give you a superfine black/white grid (any discomfort viewing it is caused by your brain...).**
**Assumes you view it at native resolution of your monitor.

---

When did this conversation turn into discussion of food prices? O_o

---

I'm slightly drunk now so excuse any grammatical errors
Thanks for the good reply! The patterns looks consistent in the cheap monitor
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DVI vs VGA Quantum3 Hardware 7 04-17-2010 12:35 AM
Photoshop CS4 "Save for web" Problem -Urgent Fadewoodarts Photoshop Help 0 06-28-2009 05:35 PM
Urgent help needed! Background color matching larsfass Image Help 8 04-01-2009 10:16 AM
URGENT : PHOTOSHOP CS2 2 GIGs ram still not enough camarosource Photoshop Help 12 03-04-2008 02:03 AM
Circle Under Eyes? Urgent skiba2km Photo Restoration 4 02-13-2006 10:40 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved