RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

URGENT: VGA vs DVI

Old 01-24-2010, 06:13 AM

Re: URGENT: VGA vs DVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
Yeah, fall off, I think we're talking about the same thing (vignetting). In the monitor we bought, when paning the image up or down, the image goes darker or brigther, DVI will be the same thing?

Mart
This has nothing to do with DVI/VGA. DVI/VGA is the cable/connection type (VGA = analogue and signal loss, DVI = digital nice clean signal).

The viewing angle thing depends on the panel type and the quality of the LCD screen. As someone mentioned you want to avoid the TN panel type (cheap but horrible for viewing images and impossible to color manage).
Test image for viewing angle: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
This has nothing to do with DVI/VGA. DVI/VGA is the cable/connection type (VGA = analogue and signal loss, DVI = digital nice clean signal).

The viewing angle thing depends on the panel type and the quality of the LCD screen. As someone mentioned you want to avoid the TN panel type (cheap but horrible for viewing images and impossible to color manage).
Test image for viewing angle: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php
Uh, thanks for this link. I lost it long time ago...

I don't know what's a TN panel. The monitor she has is this: lg flatron w2243s http://www.kauf.ro/administrare/W2243S-PF.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2010, 09:13 AM

I don't know the panel type of that LG monitor, but the LG W2242T-PF has a 22 inch 5 ms TN panel, so it's very possible that one has the same panel type...

Copy/pasted from a website:
* IPS (S-IPS/H-IPS) panels are generally considered the best all around panel type, but they are more expensive and very few are made. High end, expensive.
* VA (S-PVA/MVA) panels offer better color reproduction and viewing angles than TN panels, have slightly worse response times than TN or S-IPS, offer the best contrast ratios, may suffer from color shifting or input lag and have higher availability than S-IPS panels. Mid range, fair price.
* TN panels are very cheap and have the fastest response times, but suffer from inferior color reproduction, contrast ratios and viewing angles. Low end, inexpensive.

--

Edit:
TN panel type is fine if you want to save money and do not intend to use it for adjusting images etc. It's all up to your usage. Seeing that your GF does image retouching TN is not the panel type for her - also make sure to turn off any built-in dynamic image adjustments (like what is common in new TVs and from the wording on LGs page it might be in this dispaly as well, as that will mess things up for you if you are trying for something color managed).

Last edited by Chain; 01-24-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladesman View Post
Until the Dell I mentioned came out, all 22 inch monitors came with TN panels. They are impossible to calibrate as well.
Also bear in mind that whatever monitor you buy, you cannot effectively color manage without color calibration apparatus. There are a few types available such as the X-Rite EyeOne Display 2, which I use and it is excellent. In other words, with calibration done with this unit, the images I see on my monitor are nearly identical to the ones that come out of my printer.
Even though your GF might not print her work, she could rest assured that her monitor colors are true when done with proper calibration.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching