RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

URGENT: VGA vs DVI

Old 01-23-2010, 08:50 AM

Exclamation URGENT: VGA vs DVI

Hi people, I gifted a VGA LCD screen/monitor to my gf, but it shows too much noise. I'm willing to change it for a DVI screen/monitor. Will the DVI be noiseless?

She also do image retouching and video.

Thanks,

Mart

PS: I know this is not the place to post this, but the harware thread is dead and I need an urgent reply because I have to proceed with the changelling in 2 days.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2010, 09:21 AM

Re: URGENT: VGA vs DVI

VGA is analogue, and any interference will show. So yes, you will get noise. LCD monitors are digital so there is NO good reason to connect it using a VGA cable.
(you have a perfect digital signal, convert it to analogue just to send it through the cable introducing loss and noise, and then you convert it back to digital at the other end of the cable).

DVI will give you no loss or noise at all since it is digital. Same for HDMI (which is just DVI + audio).

--

Edit; if you bought an LCD monitor with ONLY VGA connection then you can bet it's a crappy one

You might be able to reduce noise by getting a thicker/better shielded cable, making sure the VGA cable is not coiled up, and make sure it's not next to power cables and transformers... But still it will be inferior to a digital signal...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2010, 09:23 AM

Are you referring to Interference like older analog tv's & antenna's? Right now I run a dual display with 2 samsung 23" displays. One runs off VGA the other DVI and i see no difference side by side. Possibly a loose connector or faulty cable causing it? first i've heard of such an issue. Let me know and i'll see where to go from there.

Also did this ever happen before on your system with the monitor? every happen to any other monitor your gf had?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Thompson View Post
Are you referring to Interference like older analog tv's & antenna's? Right now I run a dual display with 2 samsung 23" displays. One runs off VGA the other DVI and i see no difference side by side. Possibly a loose connector or faulty cable causing it? first i've heard of such an issue. Let me know and i'll see where to go from there.

Also did this ever happen before on your system with the monitor? every happen to any other monitor your gf had?
Hi Paul,

The only monitor she had for about 8 years was a cheap CRT and we bought a cheap LCD ($150usd). It's not so bad, having all that noise spilled around, but if we can get something a bit better, we will do it.

I had bought 2 cheap LCD long time ago, like 5 years ago, but never saw noise on them, however, I have seen this kind of noise in newer LCD Monitors.

Thanks for replaying,

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2010, 10:32 AM

hi,
just a few thoughts... my reply is similar to others ....
i noticed you have a short time line to make your decision...mm... anyway

1. you can have interference weather it a analog or dvi !
a. good analog video cables having good shielding and probably a doughnut shape filter wrap around the cable to minimize noise issue.. very noticable...
if cheap cables are used , either buy a good cable , or generally people go to there local radio shack pick up some emi/rfi filters for there cables (ie video or there mouse or for any others) the filters are cheap...
2. dvi generally give you better signals because of the higher bandwidth of the cable.... (and this includes if your vide card has dvi output...) also good dvi cable well shielded!! so a coupel of things to think about in getting a dvi cable...
a. that it well shielded.. generally triple shielding and also the connectors are shielded!!! some of your cheap dvi calble there not or poor shielded..
b. another thing look at the band pass of the dvi cable!! ... make sure the bandpass specs of the cable easily meets your monitor resolution , yo don't want a 2 gig band pass when your operting in 1600x 1800 or what ever..

well those are my 2 cents worth... good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
Hi people, I gifted a VGA LCD screen/monitor to my gf, but it shows too much noise. I'm willing to change it for a DVI screen/monitor. Will the DVI be noiseless?

She also do image retouching and video.

Thanks,

Mart

PS: I know this is not the place to post this, but the harware thread is dead and I need an urgent reply because I have to proceed with the changelling in 2 days.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2010, 12:38 PM

Mart

I'd still go for the DVI Monitor if you can.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket1961 View Post
Mart

I'd still go for the DVI Monitor if you can.

Chris
Hey man! Glad to see you around! I was doing a research and found many people talking about the same topic, so will go for the DVI one.

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2010, 01:53 PM

Mart, do yourself a favor and get the new Dell 2209WA. It's unbelieveably cheap for a monitor with a IPS panel. This means you can easily color manage with it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladesman View Post
Mart, do yourself a favor and get the new Dell 2209WA. It's unbelieveably cheap for a monitor with a IPS panel. This means you can easily color manage with it.
Unfortunately, it's not available in my state...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2010, 02:21 PM

Why not get it from Amazon? $329.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching