RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Creating this look.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:21 PM

Creating this look.

I'm trying to recreate the look of some of Paolo Roversi's work. The extremely rich tones and deep blacks. I'm hoping someone here as some insight into how that could be done in Photoshop, as well as how one should shoot for the effect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9bmg4.jpg (62.4 KB, 207 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2010, 05:00 PM

Re: Creating this look.

There is nothing to Roversi's photography other than it's well done. Sometimes good composition, subject and general aesthetics can trick you into thinking that there's a secret effect that the guy is on the verge of patenting. This guy shoots people, try not to focus too much on his effect. He is an antitechnical guy... so he prolly doesn't even know how he achieves that effect. He doesn't even use a lightmeter...

There is though one style that Roversi tends to like. He shoots 8x10 Deardorff and cross processes. If you don't have access to these or even polaroids, then with photoshop it should be easy to get close, just leave your raw files soft. Open shadows in tone and flatten highlights with a color (reverse "s curve"). You could also do some straight duotoning like milky pink shadows and golden highlights.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2010, 05:22 PM

Its very interesting, because im a huge Fan of Roversi too. And i changed my style of lighting from Flash to Continous to come a little closer....

for Black and white from my Point of view today nothing can beat analog Film...
but the Question is what is done to his Work afterwards , it would be very interesting to see his original Prints, an not what ist printed in the Magazins...
lg.
Gene
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene_spark View Post
but the Question is what is done to his Work afterwards , it would be very interesting to see his original Prints, an not what ist printed in the Magazins...
lg.
Gene
I think you would have to be his right hand, the guy who asks the other guys to make a cup of tea for him, to see the original shots but... yes it would be very interesting... :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2010, 06:42 PM

Jeah thats rigt, and some Jears ago when i was an Assistant we did a lot work for Magazins. Weired colour things and B/W for a german " Zeitgeist" Magazin called Wiener.
In the Studio we also don´t use any lightmeter and adjusted only by Polaroid..and then we used this settings for the exposure with Film in our case Tri x and so we overexposed the film a lot. This resulted in very dense Negatives and overexposure reduced the sharpnes special in the Lighter Tones.. A very fine Technik that works very good with moody Pictures of Woman....the original Prints looked a little like the ones Roversi is famous for....but later in the Magazin they looked like crap compared to the original Print....but it dosn´t interest us very much because the Ad liked it, payed and hired us again :-))))

I have tried to simulate this effekt in Photoshop but i didn´t come close...digital is to clean and doesn´t have this headroom analog Film has...
I would say if you want an analog feel simply use analog...but i know this sounds a little snobby or ignorant :-)))
lg.
gene
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching