RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

B&W processing like Hedi Slimane

Old 01-26-2010, 05:01 PM

B&W processing like Hedi Slimane

I love the B&W look that Hedi Slimane has on his website, but I cannot duplicate it. I don't know what makes them look so magical.

From what I can tell, he lights his subject on one side with a large octabox or beautydish and sometimes uses a reflector as fill on the other side.

His 900x674 crop suggests a 645 medium format digital back. Is this the source of magic, or is it the post-processing?

Last edited by tepic; 01-26-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2010, 04:37 AM

Re: B&W processing like Hedi Slimane

With a Nikon D700 set to B/W and setting a high contrast and brightness in the set-up, you have it. Let me show you some pìcs straight out from the my Nikon D700.

The only edit was sharpening the image. It's a bit subexpossed and just to show my dog, nothing artistic.

The setting in-camera was High Contrast and zero vignetting reduction with a high ISO.

(Btw, I odn't like the style of Heidy, looks quite imposed, starting by the website).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Captura de Pantalla 1.jpg (93.6 KB, 719 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2010, 04:47 AM

Another example with no contrast at all (my gf). And with D-Lighting (a friend of mine). These are straight out the camera as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC0486.jpg (44.6 KB, 622 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC0728.jpg (62.5 KB, 560 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2010, 06:02 AM

I LOVE Hedi Slimane. Just the video on the main menu of his website blows my mind and makes me wanna go to the studio right now to make something like that. His thing is obviously contrast (lyric dancer next to a drum player... love it).

Now, in BW, contrast should be thought of as color. Highly colorful photos make for perfectly contrasted BW. Unlike Quantum3, whom I highly respect, I suggest you don't set your camera to BW. That way you won't be able to assign a post value of each hue. Just play with ur settings on the conversion. Set a decent value for what the skin will become (reds and yellows), and then, adjust the rest of the colors in the scene so that contrast helps the eye.

Lightingwise... gotta love the simple lights. Try a PARA or an octa on one side as you say. I think in some of the photos he doesn't even use fill, instead the key is brought closer to camera axis and the room will do the rest.

About the camera. Yeah, they say it's contax 645. Looks so on his flickr fansite. But honestly, i don't think the camera will make any difference in this case other than at pixel level. If you wanna try, just shoot color and then do your thing on the conversion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2010, 06:09 AM

Flexmanta, I shot in RAW, so I can reset the pic, but sometimes, I like having an instant black and white feedback on the camera LCD, specially when I'm looking more into the luminance of the scene.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2010, 01:45 PM

Thanks Quantum, I'll see if I can rent/borrow a D700 and play with it.

Analyzing some other photos, it looks like he's using a large (27"?) beauty dish as single light source.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexmanta View Post
I LOVE Hedi Slimane. Just the video on the main menu of his website blows my mind and makes me wanna go to the studio right now to make something like that. His thing is obviously contrast (lyric dancer next to a drum player... love it).
Yeah, that video is great. Watching the soft shadows as the dancer dances is inspiring.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2010, 04:45 PM

There are also ways to turn images into B/W with PS, but it takes time to get the film look.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2010, 12:33 PM

Tepic,

In regards to your question about Hedi Slimane, he uses very simple lighting, usually a softbox or a simple umbrella setup and he does not retouch much at all, there is nothing difficult about what he is doing... The reason it looks so crisp is because he uses a Phase one P65+ digital back. In the earlier photos he did use a contax G2 and also various medium format cameras before going fully digital... Hope this helps. Also in regards to making your photos look like that, use raw files, always shoot in color and go online and read as much as you can about converting color photos to black and white using the channel mixer in Photoshop. It is the best way. Your photos will never be as crisp as a P65 but you can get great B&W images using any prosumer camera...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Allen01_054.jpg (69.6 KB, 391 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2010, 02:04 PM

]i love Hedi B&w photo so much and its really hard to get the perfect b&w style that he has. His photos look very clean and crisp.im still learnin how to do photos like that

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/...ced225dd4e.jpg
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching