RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to achieve this look?

Old 02-01-2010, 05:05 PM

Re: How to achieve this look?

Yep, beautiful stuff Marco. Hey, just wanted to let you know (and I don't know if its just my version or what) but I can't get the page to come up in Fire Fox. I can get your other galleries just fine, just not advertising. Works like a champ in IE.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2010, 05:44 AM

Marco, welcome.

I am interested in your approach to lighting. I'm currently an assistant at a big studio and i have access to a lot of equipment. I need to make new additions for my personal portfolio and i would like to add to it some photos like the ones you show on aorta. Is there anywhere that you can point me to for me to see what you did there with the lights? Is it like i said in the begining, honeycombs for everything? Or was the original lighting a lot flatter and brought back to life with compositing/d&b...

thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2010, 05:50 AM

the light is reaaally precise.
honeycombs, grids, etc.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2010, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tareq View Post
Soon when i will get one light more then i will start to do all my best with my gear and skill to achieve something, all the time i hear it is the lighting and composition and so before doing any processing, so then i will work hard with the lighting and stuff and see what i will get at the end.
If you feel you're missing something, it's not the light, the camera or the lens. It's not about the gear. Imagine, each day a new gear comes to the stores... When you think you have it all to start working hard, another new thing appears in the market and you will pass the rest of your life buying different stuff in order to achieve something that it cannot be achievable with money.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2010, 06:08 AM

Oh, quantum, there are times that it IS about the gear. It doesn't matter if new gear comes on the market every other day. You need at least some of it, the new one or the old one. This is not the strobist.com kind of lighting that you can pull off with a couple speedlites. I think the correct statement is actually, it's not about how expensive your gear is, it's about having and knowing how to use it. This kind of shoot can be accomplished with cheap alienbees and also with pocket draining acute8's. You will need modifiers too, strips, grids, umbrellas... The thing is that at least, you need the alienbees, and no matter how talented you are, if you don't have the glass, the props, the lights, the location, the stylists and the muas, there is no way to pull off this kind of productions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexmanta View Post
Oh, quantum, there are times that it IS about the gear. It doesn't matter if new gear comes on the market every other day. You need at least some of it, the new one or the old one. This is not the strobist.com kind of lighting that you can pull off with a couple speedlites. I think the correct statement is actually, it's not about how expensive your gear is, it's about having and knowing how to use it. This kind of shoot can be accomplished with cheap alienbees and also with pocket draining acute8's. You will need modifiers too, strips, grids, umbrellas... The thing is that at least, you need the alienbees, and no matter how talented you are, if you don't have the glass, the props, the lights, the location, the stylists and the muas, there is no way to pull off this kind of productions.
Of course, at that level the photographer must have everything, but that photographer is a pro, not a benginner. Straightly, it is that most benginners believes that buying whatever thing they will become a pro, just because buying expensive stuff. I know quite a lot of people along those lines. And the funny part is that they really believe they're pros (just because the equipment!)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2010, 02:53 PM

Thanks Flashtones and Caesium for the kind words! Flexmanta - we do use a lot of lights most of the time and quite powerful ones...and it does become quite expensive at times...the larger the scene is the more lights...and the smaller the scene is the less lights are needed...and as you observed we think it´s important to separate the subject from the background by lighting...this is classic...besides that - it´s very important to light up all the shadows...that gives files that are a bit flat but then we crank up the contrast in the end...and finally - we are two guys cooperating so when one is shooting the other one is constantly moving lights around and refining the lighting until it´s as good as we can make it...hope that helps...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching