RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Advice on beauty image for retouch

Old 02-02-2010, 05:16 PM

Re: Advice on beauty image for retouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotogen View Post
Mart, What method did you use for the texture on the skin on your images? I believe you explained it once to me in another thread but do you mind explaining what you have done on your images please?

Thank You
Hadi
Split for removing blemishes and fixing all the texture issues. You also can copy and paste texture from a place to another in order to fix the softer areas of the skin. I also recommend having 2 raw conversions, one meant to be perfect lit and the other a bit subexpossed to get most detail possible. I usually work on the subexpossed image, not using the other, but you can mix both expossures if you think that will help you. So, splitting is the most important and make sure to fix all the skin problems on the HF layer. I usually don't use the LF layer. Do some D&B at pixel level if needed and then Ctrl/Cmd+Alt+Shift+E to merge all the stuff into a new layer and apply the Degrunge technique. I usually place the Degrunge layer below the HF layer. I don't know if that's useful, but I do it anyway. Then start fixing the grunge, but be careful not to be tempted to use it too much. Just use it as a helper, as Cuervo said. I mostly use it to smooth the tones transitions. I use to have a second window with teh same image at an smaller zoom in order to see how it looks what I'm doing at full size, so I can tell if I'm going too far with the degrunge. I probably set the degrunge layer below 50% opacity, depending on how it looks the result. It's more an experience thing, pratice. And you will get the right balance sooner or later.

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWright View Post
Flex - maybe I misunderstood, but I thought the low freq/high freq split was a good strater point for any beauty image, in order to allow the global shifts on the LF layer and retain the texture etc on the HF. Do I have this wrong ?
Not really, its good for a secondary technique when you're using Dodge & Burn as the principal one, but if you only use it it won't give you realistic looking skin.

However you can use it as a primary technique if you want that specific look for other types of images, where skin realism isn't necessary
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2010, 05:28 PM

Flexmanta, as far as I observe, I think you should show off some of your stuff in order to get some respect around here. It seems you know quite a lot about retouching but without showing how you apply that knowledge to some images, your words sounds a bit empty. Will tell you in spanish, probably will sound less rude, haha.

Flexmanta, me parece que la gente necesita ver lo que eres capaz de hacer para que te tengan más respeto. Por ahí da la sensación que es más teórico que práctico lo tuyo y tus palabras dejan un gusto vacío al no ver como aplicas toda esa teoría que tienes. Supongo que por eso el amigo dijo que tus comentarios son "sin sentido". Honestamente, creo que a veces tus comentarios suenan como que sólo querés demostrar tus conocimientos en primera instancia, y por añadidura, le das una ayuda a los demás, pero no es lo que te impulsa a comentar y suenas un poco pedante. A mi me caes bien, pedante o no
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2010, 05:35 PM

Peter, that is not a wrong statement. This is what happens. It all starts when noticing that the high pass filter sucks. The behavior of high pass is supposed to be exactly the opposite of Gaussian blur. Basically Gaussian blur gets rid of edges by equalizing adjacent pixels to the extent set by the radius, and the high pass does the opposite: It retains edges and gets rid of the rest (by turning it 50% grey which equals nothingness in the contrast blending modes).

The problem is that high pass sucks because adding a low pass and a high pass layer obtained with the high pass filter does NOT result in an image that looks exactly like the original at pixel level. Try it yourself. Duplicate twice. Leave one untouched. Blur the second one 10px. High pass the 3rd one 10px and set it to linear light 50% opacity. Compare the split with the original... sucks. Besides, it also sucks to have to use 50% opacity...

So, today we get our proper high freq by using the apply image thingy blah blah, you know how that goes.

Normally, when you need a high pass layer, you create the needed duplicates, you blur one and you do the apply image thing on the other one, and then normally you would get rid of the blurred layer, cause you don't need it, you just wanted your high pass. So, what's the point of keeping it? well that's a split, the sole fact of keeping both high and low pass layers. Its uses? Well, just the exact same uses of anything done with the sucky high pass filter. Just better.

Sharpening: Add a curve adj layer clipped to the high freq layer. Make sure you don't change the middle grey. By slightly making darks darker and lights lighter, you sharpen (remember it's set to linear light).
Local contrast: High pass layer high radius.
Grungy look: Same as before, just desaturating the high.
Decrease local contrast: INVERTED blurred high pass layer, selectively.
Texture extraction: High pass layer to get rid of everything but texture (using a precise radius).
Proper degrunge: Inverted high pass with radius set to cover skin imperfections (please use selectively).
Large imperfections healing: Heal the low freq (best plastic look ever? Median the crap out of a duplicate of the low by feathered selections at a time).

Those are some of the things you can do. Now think of it this way. Say you got a billiard ball that you want to texturize with the use of a photograph of a sheet of sanding paper, but you dont want it to shift color at all. What do you do? You do the apply image thing to the sanding paper, and put the high freq on top of your billiard ball. Now it's texturized. You "low" is the ball, and your high is the sanding paper. Now you got a sanding ball. The ball provides the lights, shadows, shape and IMPORTANTLY color. Now let's go back to skin. Your low provides color, shape, light and all that, and your high, provides skin texture. Just as if you obtained that texture from somewhere else. What can you do with it? Well, experiment. Split some face and do stuff to it.

So, it's not that splitting is a good start for ANY image. There are images that just don't need to be split. One decides to splits when, looking at an image and figuring out what's going to be done to it, you say, gee, I better split this image!

edit: Sorry quantum, didn't see your post.

Last edited by flexmanta; 02-02-2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: missed someone else's post.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2010, 05:36 PM

Where is Markzebra!?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
Flexmanta, as far as I observe, I think you should show off some of your stuff in order to get some respect around here. It seems you know quite a lot about retouching but without showing how you apply that knowledge to some images, your words sounds a bit empty. Will tell you in spanish, probably will sound less rude, haha.

Flexmanta, me parece que la gente necesita ver lo que eres capaz de hacer para que te tengan más respeto. Por ahí da la sensación que es más teórico que práctico lo tuyo y tus palabras dejan un gusto vacío al no ver como aplicas toda esa teoría que tienes. Supongo que por eso el amigo dijo que tus comentarios son "sin sentido". Honestamente, creo que a veces tus comentarios suenan como que sólo querés demostrar tus conocimientos en primera instancia, y por añadidura, le das una ayuda a los demás, pero no es lo que te impulsa a comentar y suenas un poco pedante. A mi me caes bien, pedante o no
There shouldn't be any need for "showing of knowledge" as long as you explain your opinion. I hate when you have to actually show your work, in order for people to believe on what you're saying, either you take the opinion into account or forget about it. LOL sorry if it sounds harsh it isn't intended to you Quantum...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuervo79 View Post
There shouldn't be any need for "showing of knowledge" as long as you explain your opinion. I hate when you have to actually show your work, in order for people to believe on what you're saying, either you take the opinion into account or forget about it. LOL sorry if it sounds harsh it isn't intended to you Quantum...
Well spoken! If you seek any critique and get it, try - if it works be thankful - or ask questions - as it was the case here! We all know that there are some pros here, who can't show their b/a because of copyrights etc.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuervo79 View Post
Now is when languaje becomes confusing. Are you talking about me? "I hate when you have to..."
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2010, 06:52 PM

Yeah, it's language what got you confused there. He said that it wasn't intended to you.

Same'ish in Span'ish: Tranqui, dijo que no se refiere a ti. Antes él y yo hablabamos de eso en messenger.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2010, 07:14 PM

Si Quantum, ocea es mas para decir que no deberia de ser necesario. Lo dije como un decir no fue dirigido a vos
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching