RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Advice on beauty image for retouch

Old 02-02-2010, 08:16 PM

Re: Advice on beauty image for retouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuervo79 View Post
Si Quantum, ocea es mas para decir que no deberia de ser necesario. Lo dije como un decir no fue dirigido a vos
Claro, me parecía. Pues hemos tenido siempre buenas charlas nosotros Y viste como es el español en esto, estamos acostumbrados a poner al otro cuando nos referimos a un sujeto X (o a experiencias personales) y en inglés eso suena todavía más confuso.

Ahora en Inglés, sino seguro alguien se cabrea, jaja.

Cuervo, it's needed that people shows the proof of what they state. For example, a scientific develops the hipothesis by using a large vocabulary that centers into the given topic, then it probes what it said by using certain elements. Otherwise, we can talk thousand of words about a given topic, but in the practice we are not able to show the result. Pedagogically talking, we end with half of the explaniation given and showing half of the experience. Imagine yourself talking with a client about your knowledge about certain topic but not showing how do you apply your knowledge. The client will not believe in your words because they're just words. For example, there are lot of teachers that know the theory, but they sucks in the practice. Imagine yourself looking for a Photoshop Teacher who doesn't show you any result, but just the theory, I think you will not take classes with it. Now imagine a Photoshop Teacher that shows its works, that will also show you the knowledge behind and the proof that that teacher knows what it's talking about. The true fact is that the proof shows that you are competent with what you claim you're. At the end of the day, the client only care the results, not how much you know about it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2010, 08:29 PM

This is a great thread indeed. Ha! Very entertaining. Flexmanta, you are spot on with your critique of the few "trys" from some of the posters. They are terrible. I don't even understand why those revised/retouched shots were even posted, and then saying that it only took "15 minutes" or it was done quickly....what's the point of that, if you want to show your work, and want some accolades, then spend some time on them and don't just use some technique that you just learned from the internet or here! Honestly that won't cut it, and once again Flexmanta I applaud you for your courage to give your honest thoughts!

Oh, and Que pasa Quantum3 your work is very nice and I like your attitude towards this biz and your vigor. No habla español....ha! Sorry!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2010, 08:52 PM

I personally think that nothing substancial will change in my life by critizing what others did with the image. I also don't like what people did with it but a comment of such type would be absolutelly out of context and will not give any help. Also, the image is so, so compressed and damaged that I think nobody would be able to give descent results without passing 30 mins at least with the image, nor I don't know how many people in this thread is able to do true beauty retouching but one thing is true, people here is trying to give a hand, and that's more important than if they're skilled or not. There are many skilled people who are just deleting these messages from their inboxes, or they just aren't so active into this community in order to give an opinion. I know that beauty is a large topic, and it cannot be fulfilled here but at least, giving some encourage and some tips means that we still have a heart, wven when we know that beauty is a very large process and that this thread will die sooner or later. But at least, we can put some good will.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2010, 09:58 PM

My advice/ contibrution to this thread is:

Train your eye, work on and view thousands of images and analyze them, day in and day out for many years. Be prepared for harsh critique. Sorry Quantum3, but that is the reality, because in this biz, it will happen. Nobody cares about your "feeling" when it comes down to a deadline. Art directors and photo editors could care less about your feelings. I understand that this is a site for learning and I just wanted to put a bit of real world reality into the mix.

I also think that all these step by step techniques are harmful to a newbie. They "use" them without understanding fundamental photography and beauty, and think that they are going to just run through some steps and get great results.

It is all in your eyes.

BTW, when I started out I "had" to learn very quickly to make a great retouch, because our lab, which was a very large Hollywood Motion Publicity Firm, was transitioning from conventional printing to the digital realm, and I was told many times that my retouches were terrible, so that got me even more motivated to improve quickly, or lose my job!

So why not be upfront about a retouch, and btw, no image is too small to make look great.

Just my thoughts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2010, 10:09 PM

The problem Quantum is that beauty retouching right now isn't what the examples here are showing, if the original poster would of asked abut just skin softening then it would be OK. But he specifically said beauty Image which entails a certain look. Which the examples do not show.
Its great to try to help but if someone doesn't really know exactly what a beauty image is then its better to say so, than to just retouch the example and say nothing about it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuervo79 View Post
The problem Quantum is that beauty retouching right now isn't what the examples here are showing, if the original poster would of asked abut just skin softening then it would be OK. But he specifically said beauty Image which entails a certain look. Which the examples do not show.
Its great to try to help but if someone doesn't really know exactly what a beauty image is then its better to say so, than to just retouch the example and say nothing about it.
And it's even better to show a sample of the same image done right, sharing the "how to" instead of just saying it sucks

Not that I'm not guilty of having done so myself... still

x
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
And it's even better to show a sample of the same image done right, sharing the "how to" instead of just saying it sucks

Not that I'm not guilty of having done so myself... still

x
lol, waste of time comes to my mind if you ask for me to retouch the example image....
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2010, 01:00 AM

Thanks all for the valuable contributions - particularly Flex, who has been honest but has taken a huge amount of his time to help me on both active threads at present. I have learned more in the last week than the last year - and the forum is awesome and also welcoming and tolerant of learners like myself.

I was after an analysis of the image - I shot a series with this model and was disappointed at the quality of the MUA work in general but wanted to know if I was wasting my time trying to single out an image and spend a few days on it trying to achieve a "Gavin o'Neill" type skin look with a very detailed, highly textured shimmer to the skin. The various work ups along the way did nothing to convince me that it was possible, as all were heavily smoothed (However I did not expect people to work images up and spend their time - so thanks regardless)

I am still unsure about the images but with what I have seen in the other thread I do think they are workable.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2010, 05:50 AM

Went to his site... You must set the lights in other way and get a super sharp lense to get that looking, then you need a beauty retoucher. Never, but never think the pictures are the way they're shown, those ones have a lot of PS work. Take a look to this picture: http://www.quantum3studio.daportfoli...llery/111332#2 The light here is dead, making the face looking too flat. That's one of the typical problems of photography meant as publicity, they're too much lit, giving no ratios, in consequence, no volume, in consequence, giving a boring picture. In these kind of photography, the ratios should be subtle, but emphatizing the volume of the face.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2010, 06:01 AM

I like that image, quantum.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching