RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Advice on beauty image for retouch

Old 02-03-2010, 06:25 AM

Re: Advice on beauty image for retouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexmanta View Post
I like that image, quantum.
The original or the retouched one?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2010, 06:30 AM

Yeah, retouched. I agree on how you fixed what should have done with lighting during the shoot. Was it a soft box above and a reflector from below?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
Went to his site... You must set the lights in other way and get a super sharp lense to get that looking, then you need a beauty retoucher. Never, but never think the pictures are the way they're shown, those ones have a lot of PS work. Take a look to this picture: http://www.quantum3studio.daportfoli...llery/111332#2 The light here is dead, making the face looking too flat. That's one of the typical problems of photography meant as publicity, they're too much lit, giving no ratios, in consequence, no volume, in consequence, giving a boring picture. In these kind of photography, the ratios should be subtle, but emphatizing the volume of the face.
Nice image - point noted.

I tend to shoot with a 105mm micro nikkor which is very sharp and unforgiving.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2010, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexmanta View Post
Yeah, retouched. I agree on how you fixed what should have done with lighting during the shoot. Was it a soft box above and a reflector from below?
It seems that was the set-up. Sometimes I think that nothing can beat a candlelight, lol!

Now I say this... Renaissance painters never had all the nowadays equipments, and nowadays artists are light years away from those talented guys.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWright View Post
Nice image - point noted.

I tend to shoot with a 105mm micro nikkor which is very sharp and unforgiving.
Oh yeah... The 105mm. I think that's the most sharp lens in the whole list of lenses of all the cameras.

I don't know how much time you have taking pics, I don't know is that also matters, but why not trying to shot with sunlight coming from some window? I personally find that my best pictures were done with that kind of light. I must say I'm a fan of that kind of light. Here is my girlfriend http://www.quantum3studio.daportfoli...llery/155114#2 shoot with a Nikon D700 (which really makes the deal with shadows!) and my first lens, the nikkor 50mm f/1.4. Of course, edited the picture in lightroom in the post and fixed some blemishes in PS. No D&B or Degrunge on this one because I didn't know about those techniques ^^
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
Oh yeah... The 105mm. I think that's the most sharp lens in the whole list of lenses of all the cameras.

I don't know how much time you have taking pics, I don't know is that also matters, but why not trying to shot with sunlight coming from some window? I personally find that my best pictures were done with that kind of light. I must say I'm a fan of that kind of light. Here is my girlfriend http://www.quantum3studio.daportfoli...llery/155114#2 shoot with a Nikon D700 (which really makes the deal with shadows!) and my first lens, the nikkor 50mm f/1.4. Of course, edited the picture in lightroom in the post and fixed some blemishes in PS. No D&B or Degrunge on this one because I didn't know about those techniques ^^
That's a lovely shot (Along with a lot of your work) - I love lighting in all forms but tend not to use natural light as much, maybe I am a control freak ;-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2010, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuervo79 View Post
lol, waste of time comes to my mind if you ask for me to retouch the example image....
I have to agree
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2010, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorontop View Post
I have to agree
To be fair - nobody did ask for a retouch (I certainly didn't) ;-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2010, 02:30 AM

Quote:
LOL no but Godmother did... Like saying "put your money where your mouth is" lol....
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2010, 02:52 AM

Quote:

No you didn't ask anyone for a retouch. But you did ask for advice on Beauty retouching and posted an example. The hours that it will take you to do a full beauty work up will probably not make the subject look any better than she does already with this image. I am sure her mother loves her but the subject here has a protruding and rounded chin and a large forehead and nose. The angle of the shot does not flatter and only emphasises those facial features with this subject. To re-touch beauty it has to be their in the first place which in the context of image selection is not to be confused with inner beauty. I think your work would be cut out for you trying to turn a family portrait into a beauty work-up. I think that some images are worth spending the time on and others not which of course is a very subjective view point. Maybe a different shot taken from a different angle would be more likely to flatter her rounded facial features and would justify some more time and effort

Last edited by doctorontop; 02-04-2010 at 04:44 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching