RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Advice on beauty image for retouch

Old 01-30-2010, 12:45 AM

Advice on beauty image for retouch

Hi all - my first post here.

I have been working on my D&B techniques on a few images and have been trying to work up one in particular (Posted below) but have realised after much time and effort that I am just not seeing the texture in the skin to work on and try to even out. My concern is that the make up on this particular shot is not good enough to make it a suitable candidate for this tyoe of higher end retouch and that the only way I can make something of it might be some sort of smoothing.

I have spent hours working this one and before I go any further I would really appreciate an experts opinion as to whether it is my lack of experience or whteher it is an unsuitable image for a high end retouch..

Any advice really appreciated - the link is to an unretouched crop

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2721/...ff9963f6_o.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2010, 01:09 AM

Re: Advice on beauty image for retouch

This image defo has some potential to get a lot of practice with D&B and some subtle skin smoothing techniques. The lighting is not perfect, but it is a great image to practice on. It is nice and sharp. Try to embellish the makeup, a bit of rouge on the cheeks, a little sculpting on the sides of her face, chin and cheeks, and some eye refinement.....eg. lashes and eye whites.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2010, 01:23 AM

Thanks dcm - I just felt that there was not enough pore detail visible to actually work with.
When I drill into it at 300-500% there are just not many visible pores in certain areas where the MUA had just slapped on some touch up..
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2010, 01:43 AM

D&B doesn't have to be done at pore level, most of the time what you do is take care of patchy skin, soften lines, freckles, do a general contour of the face. Also you have to choose a photo and then judge what you want to take out and what to leave in order to make the photo "better".
It would also help if you post what you have been doing in order to get a better idea of what you retouched.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2010, 01:50 AM

You do not have to go that deep into a pic to do glamour retouch. 100% full is fine for D&B. Like I said, the photo has enough detail and skin pores to practice on. Just sharpen it a bit, I have worked on hundreds of these type of shots and I rarely go past 100% while working. It is just a waste of time, and it really is all about the end result. You can really get it all smooth, blemish free, pore free at a huge resolution, but sometimes, when your image is printed at a smaller size it will look way to over smoothed, and also on the web, so just don't go overboard with it, something to keep in mind. I have been doing this for many years at a major Motion Picture/Print House in Hollywood, so I kinda know the ropes.

Hope that helps.

Jeff
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2010, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuervo79 View Post
D&B doesn't have to be done at pore level, most of the time what you do is take care of patchy skin, soften lines, freckles, do a general contour of the face. Also you have to choose a photo and then judge what you want to take out and what to leave in order to make the photo "better".
It would also help if you post what you have been doing in order to get a better idea of what you retouched.
Thanks Cuervo - my aim here was to work on my pore level D&B and I was just surprised when I started on this image (as opposed to others I have from different shoots) how little pore level detail there actually was.

My question was - am I correct in my assumption that pore level work would be a waste of time with this image (and as such I would be better off with more general retouch as you describe) or is it possible to use pore level D&B and get some decent results ?

To answer your question - I posted this image unretouched.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2010, 11:32 PM

I think retouching at pore level isn't needed here, some zoom in is needed to retouch the blotchiness, yes. And you can add some make up, remove some stray hairs and do some liquify and airbrushing to improve the lighting then sharping the image. You can take a look to my portfolio in order to see how can be handled the lighting by airbrushing it. You will not find much texture in my examples due the images size, but will be useful for you, I think.

Here you can see some "High-Res":

http://quantum3studio.pho.to/images/...8-70B0CA0D3994

http://quantum3studio.pho.to/images/...-DCA5263B9A66/

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2010, 12:32 AM

hey i done a quick retouch of ur picture took me about 10 mins? let me know if its ok it was rushed but just an example?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouch-beaty-touch.jpg (75.8 KB, 205 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2010, 12:07 PM

let me know if u liked the retouch?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v111 View Post
let me know if u liked the retouch?
Thanks V111 - I like the skin, but the whites of the eyes are a little overdone which gives her an odd look I think.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching