RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Critique - 1st attempt

Old 01-31-2010, 09:14 AM

Re: Critique - 1st attempt

I do the healing on the apply image layer and set the option to "Current layer" not current and below. Should work
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2010, 09:38 AM

Ok, the low freq layer can be worked with in many ways. Since you are working mainly with color differences (where there shouldn't be any), try median. I don't like to use it too much and i prefer D&B, BUT, it doesn't look too bad when used responsibly, and it allows you to avoid correcting the color shifts that happen specifically when dodging and burning large areas of color (in RGB, most colors change hue and sat with d&b).

When working with median on the low freq, duplicate it. Then select the lasso tool, and DO NOT MEDIAN THE WHOLE FACE AT ONCE. Now, with the lasso tool and a small feather for the selection (8px or so), circle around a blemish area. Then apply a veeery slight median. Continue lasso'ing and median'ing, and since the last filter u used was median, you can just press control F skip the median dialog. Lasso, ctrl-f, lasso, ctrl-f, and so on. On this particular example i have taken it too far with the median only so that you can see. In fact, the best plastic skin look can be achieved by properly medianing the low freq and b&b the high freq for flawless texture.

THE IMPORTANT THING IS THAT, SKIN SHOULD BE RETOUCHED DIFFERENTLY FOR EACH FREQ. Color shifts on the low, texture on the high.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg selection-size.jpg (11.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg low-freq.jpg (21.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg fixed-low-freq.jpg (71.7 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexmanta View Post
Ok, the low freq layer can be worked with in many ways. Since you are working mainly with color differences (where there shouldn't be any), try median. I don't like to use it too much and i prefer D&B, BUT, it doesn't look too bad when used responsibly, and it allows you to avoid correcting the color shifts that happen specifically when dodging and burning large areas of color (in RGB, most colors change hue and sat with d&b).

When working with median on the low freq, duplicate it. Then select the lasso tool, and DO NOT MEDIAN THE WHOLE FACE AT ONCE. Now, with the lasso tool and a small feather for the selection (8px or so), circle around a blemish area. Then apply a veeery slight median. Continue lasso'ing and median'ing, and since the last filter u used was median, you can just press control F skip the median dialog. Lasso, ctrl-f, lasso, ctrl-f, and so on. Example:
Ok, cool - but can I also D & B the LF layer first, and then when done and it looks like yours (:-) I add another D&B layer for the HF and work at pore level and on spots etc ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2010, 09:48 AM

Oh yeah yeah, of course. In fact you can create a d&b layer and clip it to the low freq, and then another d&b layer and clip it to the high freq. But again, if you are having trouble finding the spots that need d&b, create a steep s-curve on top of everything and set it to luminosity so that you boost the flaws making them easier to find.

Remember to zoom in and out a lot, and to constantly check before and afters. Ctrl-z is a very used command when d&b large areas, just to check what you just changed.

Before you continue, i would recommend you to start from scratch with a better quality image. Im sending u an ok one. There are also available RAW files here and in Model Mayhem. Try to use face photos for learning this stuff.

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/7...141412289l.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Oh yeah yeah, of course. In fact you can create a d&b layer and clip it to the low freq, and then another d&b layer and clip it to the high freq. But again, if you are having trouble finding the spots that need d&b, create a steep s-curve on top of everything and set it to luminosity so that you boost the flaws making them easier to find.

Remember to zoom in and out a lot, and to constantly check before and afters. Ctrl-z is a very used command when d&b large areas, just to check what you just changed.

Before you continue, i would recommend you to start from scratch with a better quality image. Im sending u an ok one. There are also available RAW files here and in Model Mayhem. Try to use face photos for learning this stuff.

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/7...141412289l.jpg
Cool - got it..thanks..

Out of interest, why is my image not good enough - it was well lit and a D700 Raw file so surely enough res etc ?

Re my Apply layer - am I correct that it will only be grey looking until I apply the linear light mode, at which point it turns "regular" looking ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2010, 11:10 AM

Oh, my bad. I didnt know you had the raw file.

Yeah, when frequency separated, low freq + high freq set to linear light should look EXACTLY the same as the unseparated version. What might have confused you is that I soloed and s-cruved the high freq before so you could see that your problem wasn't in the texture, it was in the low freq.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Oh, my bad. I didnt know you had the raw file.

Yeah, when frequency separated, low freq + high freq set to linear light should look EXACTLY the same as the unseparated version. What might have confused you is that I soloed and s-cruved the high freq before so you could see that your problem wasn't in the texture, it was in the low freq.
Got it - now for some work on another new image..

You are patient man.. thanks..
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWright View Post

You are patient man.. thanks..
Teaching is the best way of learning.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Teaching is the best way of learning.
Sure - but it takes time and effort, which I really appreciate.

I am enjoying the journey - a bit like learning to light..
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2010, 05:48 AM

Ok - I am a sucker for punishment but here is another one from scratch..

Any improvement ..

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2692/...15b2c700_o.jpg
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching