RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Critique - 1st attempt

Old 02-01-2010, 01:51 PM

Re: Critique - 1st attempt

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexmanta View Post
Peter, there is a PSD file by Amy Dresser that shows a great example of carving. Download it. It's fully layered and you can find it here on the first post.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=332161
On it - thanks, will do..
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWright View Post
Wow - that really hit me..

Your work up is just so much darker and contrasted - I understand exactly what you mean so thanks for the example.

Can I ask - did you do most of this work on low frequency or pore level high freq, or both ?

I would like to try to understand how you got here..
Grabbed your pic and added 2 curves layer, one for dodge and one for burn set both to luminance in order to avoid too much saturation and color shifting when D&B'ing. I guess you know that technique, it's the same than using a grey layer in overlay/softlight but much more powerfull and flexible as far as I see. Just paint the way you want the light to be, some drawing skills are needed to do it, but the picture it self tells a bit about the light direction, so you can start there. Then I applied a Degrunge technique, in order to soft a bit the mess and added a gradient map set to color at 40% opacity and masked in the skin, which is the faster and accurated way to color correct it, in my opinion. I was attempting to add some magenta to her cheekbones in order to add a bit of natural tones, but I forgot it.

Sharpened with the Highpass technique (dup the layer, set to Linear Light and Highpass it to around 0,5px and play with the opacity).

Hope this help,

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2010, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
Grabbed your pic and added 2 curves layer, one for dodge and one for burn set both to luminance in order to avoid too much saturation and color shifting when D&B'ing. I guess you know that technique, it's the same than using a grey layer in overlay/softlight but much more powerfull and flexible as far as I see. Just paint the way you want the light to be, some drawing skills are needed to do it, but the picture it self tells a bit about the light direction, so you can start there. Then I applied a Degrunge technique, in order to soft a bit the mess and added a gradient map set to color at 40% opacity and masked in the skin, which is the faster and accurated way to color correct it, in my opinion. I was attempting to add some magenta to her cheekbones in order to add a bit of natural tones, but I forgot it.

Sharpened with the Highpass technique (dup the layer, set to Linear Light and Highpass it to around 0,5px and play with the opacity).

Hope this help,

Mart
Thanks Quantum - may I ask;

1. When you are brushing in the D&B, is this with larger brushes and at say 100% or is it in closer with smaller brushes ? This is the area I struggle with the most - finding where to paint and then creating a balanced and smooth effect, rather than stripes or bruises..

2. Why degrunge and split the frequencies after the D&B and not before ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2010, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Thanks Quantum - may I ask;

1. When you are brushing in the D&B, is this with larger brushes and at say 100% or is it in closer with smaller brushes ? This is the area I struggle with the most - finding where to paint and then creating a balanced and smooth effect, rather than stripes or bruises..

2. Why degrunge and split the frequencies after the D&B and not before ?
1) Small brushes for pixel level D&B such as wrinkles or pores you want to remove or soften. Big brushes when you want to paint the light to give volume to the image. For both cases, the brush opacity should remain at 100% but the flow to 1%, so you will be aplying the effect gradually. The hardness should remain 0% too. Then you need to zoom out in order to check that you don't have leaps/gaps among the tones and D&B those too.

2) The Degrunge is quite destructive and should be applyed selectively, not to the whole image. It is like a Fast D&B, but I mostly use it to smooth the tone transitions. To tidy the mess of D&B a bit. Like a refining/finishing technique.

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
1) Small brushes for pixel level D&B such as wrinkles or pores you want to remove or soften. Big brushes when you want to paint the light to give volume to the image. For both cases, the brush opacity should remain at 100% but the flow to 1%, so you will be aplying the effect gradually. The hardness should remain 0% too. Then you need to zoom out in order to check that you don't have leaps/gaps among the tones and D&B those too.

2) The Degrunge is quite destructive and should be applyed selectively, not to the whole image. It is like a Fast D&B, but I mostly use it to smooth the tone transitions. To tidy the mess of D&B a bit. Like a refining/finishing technique.

Mart
Thanks very much..
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2010, 02:21 AM

Hey all - after all the help and guidance I worked another one and would welcome any critique..

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2698/...1f3b0f79_o.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2010, 05:30 AM

MAN! You've improved overnight!! Congrats!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2010, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexmanta View Post
MAN! You've improved overnight!! Congrats!
:-) Now you made my day... (Must have been the fact that I worked on it most of the night.. apart from the webinar..)

Thanks for all your help...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2010, 05:57 AM

Ok, allow me to suggest where you could still go on working with this image. Good think is that the skin started in a good way. Dont make it softer, it's already looking realistic but flawless (that's the idea).

There are still some spots on the skin. Those you will start to see when you stop working for a while and then come back to the image again. Also the hair... one of the most significant moves you can do on a closeup beauty shot is getting the hair to look perfect in shape first, and in shade later. Try to get rid of all individual hairs that don't follow the main direction. Also, there is one thing you need to decide about how the light works on it. Sometimes you want completely uniform light to accentuate highlights (shampoo ad hair...), and some other times you want there to be noticeable differences in color and lightness to kind of get a feline hair kind of look (don't know how to call it).
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2010, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Hey all - after all the help and guidance I worked another one and would welcome any critique..

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2698/...1f3b0f79_o.jpg
Wow, I must say that your retouch is going pretty high in just few secs! Nice work there
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching