RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Critique - 1st attempt

Old 01-30-2010, 09:50 AM

Critique - 1st attempt

Hi all

This is my first serious attempt at a beauty retouch using several of the tutorials on this site (Thanks..)

Primarily

Clean up
D&B - pore and sculpt (Twin curve layers)

I would really welcome any comments on what I have missed and how it might be improved - particularly with a focus on the skin.

Thanks in advance..

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2700/...2f782345_o.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2010, 10:44 AM

Re: Critique - 1st attempt

What technique did you use for D&B? The transition from light to dark on the cheeks looks a little orange and /or gray in parts. If you used the D&B tools, they are destructive and leave this effect. It's better to use a 50% Gray layer with a paint brush.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slash-5 View Post
What technique did you use for D&B? The transition from light to dark on the cheeks looks a little orange and /or gray in parts. If you used the D&B tools, they are destructive and leave this effect. It's better to use a 50% Gray layer with a paint brush.
Thanks - I used twin curves layers with masks, so non destructive.. not sure what hascaused the colouration..
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2010, 11:01 AM

I have worked 10 minutes on your image and here is the result. I don't think it's too good but perhaps it'll help you see what is not quite there in yours (depending on what you are aiming at of course).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4316344774_392f782345_ob.jpg (96.7 KB, 120 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2010, 11:05 AM

Well, looks like you thinks D&B takes less time what what it really does.

Detailed D&B on skin is the first part of any retouching. Most people's workflow consist on getting a d&b'd, liquified, cleaned copy to be named something like "working version". From then on, you do your all the makeup and what not. Now, the d&b for that layer on such a closeup photo will take you no less than a couple days when working for yourself (working for a client is a whole different thing).

So. Not the best example for what i'm going to say: You might know everything about the technique already, so no need to study more. Just take more time, a lot more. Different zoom levels are necessary too. Some db will be done on a pixel level, some other is done on large areas. It's not a bad idea to separate frequencies first. DB works great for high freq detail, but for the low freq flaws (bigger spots and color imperfections), other techniques can be used.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (36.8 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (34.2 KB, 94 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretagents View Post
I have worked 10 minutes on your image and here is the result. I don't think it's too good but perhaps it'll help you see what is not quite there in yours (depending on what you are aiming at of course).
Thanks very much - it looks smoother than mine..

Would you mind telling me what you did ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexmanta View Post
Well, looks like you thinks D&B takes less time what what it really does.

Detailed D&B on skin is the first part of any retouching. Most people's workflow consist on getting a d&b'd, liquified, cleaned copy to be named something like "working version". From then on, you do your all the makeup and what not. Now, the d&b for that layer on such a closeup photo will take you no less than a couple days when working for yourself (working for a client is a whole different thing).

So. Not the best example for what i'm going to say: You might know everything about the technique already, so no need to study more. Just take more time, a lot more. Different zoom levels are necessary too. Some db will be done on a pixel level, some other is done on large areas. It's not a bad idea to separate frequencies first. DB works great for high freq detail, but for the low freq flaws (bigger spots and color imperfections), other techniques can be used.
You are killing me - I spent about 1.5 days on the skin D&B.. my wife went nuts...

I think that I just need more practice because I got to the point where I just could not see where to work and started to make the image worse..

In your opinion does the image need to be smoother ? I was very conscious of not losing texture with this one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Patron

Peter. inputs below on marked up image.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Peter Wright MM markup.jpg (166.5 KB, 116 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2010, 11:25 AM

Smile Re: Critique - 1st attempt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Peter. inputs below on marked up image.
Regards, Murray
Wow - thanks very much indeed..

Food for thought..
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2010, 12:54 PM

Ok, ill try to make examples of where you need to d&b. As you say it does get hard to know where a stroke is needed. If you spent that much time on that face, you must be doing something wrong and have probably dodged and burnt parts that didnt even need it. Your eye will get used to see what needs work. Untrained people can only see "before afters", but can't point out what was done where.

For that reason, it's not a bad idea to help your untrained eye by temporarily boosting the flaws so you can spot them more easily. Some people create a desaturation adjustment layer as well as a very steep s-curve set to luminosity to boost the contrast of the flaws to be evened out.

Apart from that, know that you will need to work on 2 main levels. Pore level (pixels), and blemish level (large chunks). Here are 2 examples that illustrate what you see initialy, what your retouchers eye needs to be trained to see (s-curved), and how it needs to end up looking. These examples were done in 5 minutes or so, so the actual d&b is not of the best quality. I hope it helps you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg detail-d&b.jpg (41.7 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg large-area-d&b.jpg (85.0 KB, 107 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching