RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Would anyone like to practice...

Old 02-15-2010, 01:00 PM

Re: Would anyone like to practice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungemeinfein View Post
Hi Phaeton,
the skin looks very good, but I don't like the deformation of her head very much. It looks like a different person since you liquified characteristic parts of her head. Maybe that was a little "too much" (just my 2 cents). Funny, I chose a similar look when it comes to desaturation and cooler backgroud color.

edit:

So here we go, this is my result. This was my first serious beauty retouch and I put several hours of dodging and burning into it. Since I am still learning (well, I think we all are, even the pros), I would be glad to read some feedback on my work. I changed the hair because I actually think she looks more pretty like that, however you can see a version with the long hair (and a better quality of this one) here: http://bit.ly/9jhKvr

Thanks to Tony for the image, was a lot of fun working on it! And thanks to all you guys who posted their results so far - lots of inspiration. And @Flexmanta - just wow! Awesome and very professional work.

So what do you think?
Looks really nice, but skin tones are quite messy and the hair needs a bit more of depth. The cutting out looks good, but the back of her head too tidy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2010, 01:04 PM

Don't know if this is extreme, or "forced;" I tried to imagine her on a good day with clear skin. The only thing I couldn't really repair was the left eye. It'll need to be rebuilt.

http://edgework.tripod.com/tony_ball_retouch.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgework View Post
Don't know if this is extreme, or "forced;" I tried to imagine her on a good day with clear skin. The only thing I couldn't really repair was the left eye. It'll need to be rebuilt.

How the hell you fixed the hair? Looks really cool!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2010, 01:11 PM

shelly_and_roy: Thanks a lot for your feedback. Glad you like her new haircut since I showed this to some people and it was like 50:50 - some said it looked cool, others said it looked totally weird I'm excited to read some more opinions on that topic here.

When it comes to the color in her face you might be completely right, I'm just not very experienced with makeup etc and don't really know where to put some balancing color. Just put in the blue beacause it looked cool to me and fit to the background I suppose I should read a book or sth on that topic since it really helps enhancing images if used correctly.

Yours is quite cool, skin looks very clean but maybe slightly too soft for my taste. Maybe you should go more into detail regarding her eyes and eybrows, for example the shadows under her eyes have very different colors on the left an right side. And I would remove some of the loose hair on her eyebrows to give more shape to them. Furthermore (haha i never used that word since i left school, sorry if my English sounds weird) I think the white on her eyes is little too bright - exspecially on her left one. They "pop out" too much. But with a little more attention to the details that makes a very good retouching in my eyes. Well done!

Thanks again for your opinion, much appriciated!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2010, 02:49 PM

Smile Re: Would anyone like to practice...

Here is my attempt. Didn't do too much on the hair more than cloning few stray hairs (there are too much!). However, I saw a couple of people here did a great job with the hair, would love to read some tips about hair reotouching

Here is the high-res: http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...d/_MG_1269.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_1269.jpg (96.9 KB, 92 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
Nice work you did on the hair! Any tips!?
Thanks, I don't think is my best hair but I didn't really spend the right amount of time on it. I haven't got any new tips in this area other than the usual: clone like hell, lift "good" hair and transform (scaling and warping) to fit. Colour and light accordingly. Finally you can always sample underlying colours and paint in (thin brushes matching the underlying hair) your own hair on a separate layer above; this layer then needs to be made to match the original hair in sharpness, tone, light, etc.
Obviously this takes a long time, so patience might be the right tool here :-)
Cheers!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
Thanks, I don't think is my best hair but I didn't really spend the right amount of time on it. I haven't got any new tips in this area other than the usual: clone like hell, lift "good" hair and transform (scaling and warping) to fit. Colour and light accordingly. Finally you can always sample underlying colours and paint in (thin brushes matching the underlying hair) your own hair on a separate layer above; this layer then needs to be made to match the original hair in sharpness, tone, light, etc.
Obviously this takes a long time, so patience might be the right tool here :-)
Cheers!
Absolutely. I thought doing all the cloning (which is what I know for hair), but it would taken about 3-4 hours. How many hours it have taken to you?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2010, 03:23 PM

The cloning is the killer, it seems to take forever. I only did the hair for about 1 hour, I probably could have taken it to a better place had I done another hour or so. I've done some fairly complex hair work that's taken 6-7 hours though!
Cheers!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Looks really nice, but skin tones are quite messy and the hair needs a bit more of depth. The cutting out looks good, but the back of her head too tidy.
Thank you! Any suggestions how to address the messy skin tones? I have to admit that I retouched without looking to any actual color values, just did what looked "good" to me on my screen which is not the best one. So maybe you can see things I don't see. What exactly do you mean with "too tidy"? Should I add more hair on her neck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgework View Post
Well, that was definitely too much in my opinion, not only on the left eye. Doesn't look very human to me anymore, sorry. But your work on the hair is quite cool, I really had my difficulties to fill all these gaps and make it look less messy.

Quote:
Here is my attempt. Didn't do too much on the hair more than cloning few stray hairs (there are too much!). However, I saw a couple of people here did a great job with the hair, would love to read some tips about hair reotouching
Here is the high-res: http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...d/_MG_1269.jpg
Quite cool! I'm a little bit confused about the very dark eyebrows, of course its the right way to darken them if you darken the hair, but that looks strange to me, can't tell you why. Just too dark maybe, looks more male than female with those eyebrows, at least to me. But skin is great and you did a very good job on the lips. Nice!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2010, 07:35 PM

So that's my first post here at retouchpro - hy

Well, here is my WIP. Think i will finish it tomorrow

Note: I didn't change the pose of the model CAUSE i think this pose looks mutch more natural. But it's only my personal feeling so feel free.

Some Hairjob will be done by a large cup of coffee

Rene
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unbenannt-1.jpg (84.9 KB, 89 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching