RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Would anyone like to practice...

Old 02-15-2010, 08:45 PM

Re: Would anyone like to practice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
How the hell you fixed the hair? Looks really cool!
Drew it all with a pen. 6px brush, 100% but opacity and size set to pressure sensitive. Used four or five tones sampled from the existing hair. Start with a median tone to fill in all the gaps, add highlights and darker strands to provide variety. Hardest part is keeping the strokes from curling at the ends as you pull the pen away, so I masked the hair area and let the strokes run past the edge. The blur tool deals with depth at the edges, large brush with a soft edge to fade the strokes as they blur. Takes time but it's the only way. Cloning never gives a uniform result, particularly when you start with such a meager set of samples as this image has.

As for the rest, maybe it's too much. Maybe not. Depends on who you're working for and what they want. No point leaving her with cracked lips and a smile turned down at the edges.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2010, 02:01 AM

Hi guys!

I'm new to this forum and to Protoshop too, but I decided to give it a try. It took me 8 hours of hard work and I feel like I'm still now tone yet. Though it seems to me like I'm the best in the whole thread. So, I think I'll teach you how to retouch another day.

Here's the link:
http://imgur.com/aHuG0.jpg

Please, don't beat me too hard.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2010, 02:04 AM

I'm kidding of course.
Here's my take:
http://comparescreenshots.slicx.com/comparison/36805

Just put your mouse over to see final result.

I know about her hair, her skin and some other stuff which needs to be finished properly, but it's not that bad for an hour of lazy working.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2010, 02:12 AM

Oh, and sure, sorry for liquefying. I just wanted to make her pretty so I fixed her a little bit. Damn! Ok! I'll post a finished one tomorrow.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 05:41 PM

Do you mind if I use this in my portfolio/s online?

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9231/80162392.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 07:36 PM

With all due respect, i wouldn't use it if i were you. One has to respect the learning period and know that in some years you will look back and spot every mistake you did on each photo, spotting them as any potential client will do when they see it as it is now.

I am so afraid of that same fact myself, that even photos that I have retouched for photogs, and that other established retouchers have critiqued positively, I'm afraid to post on my portfolio.

-lips too red.
-fixed the skin without fixing what needed fixing (shadows, hair, eyes, skin tone, HAIR)
-you had the raw, that means you are almost obligued to get rid of all the pure blacks in her where there was texture (hair, right eye)
-tone again. The whole image, looks like a duotone of sepias, but then you see those lips and their color and it breaks composition.
-Skin: Im sure at that size i can't see everything you see in your screen at full size, but it looks like you did one of those "recipe techniques" like blur first, high pass then, and what not... try dodging and burning, she didnt need anything else than that. And if you separate frequencies, you can heal the high and it'll look just great. This was an easy one regarding skin. Just hope you get over the blurring quickly.
-Lastly, general DB: There are some unflattering shadows in her face. Cheeks; around the nose; there are various unpleasant shadow-light-shadow bumps that need fixing (try inverted high passes).

Point is, i think this retouch would harm your portfolio more than enhance it. Don't take it personal. I'm an ass when it comes to critique, i know... I hope I'm also right.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 07:47 PM

I tried to emphasize the model's expressive eyes, brows and mouth.
I cleared up a few skin imperfections but left the basic foundation as found.
I'm not a fan of the overly smooth look, skin pores are after all a needed and natural phenomena.

I think I've achieved a bit of a lara croft type of look. Interesting (?) but not scary interesting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_1269v1 copy.jpg (79.3 KB, 74 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecuke View Post
Do you mind if I use this in my portfolio/s online?

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9231/80162392.jpg
Flexmanta did a great point advising you to not to put it in your port. Happened to me the same thing than happened to him about posting the first thing in the port (and surely happened to many more!). When clients take a look to the port will run away instead hiring you with what you did with the picture. Well, with what you didn't, to be more precise. The skin looks good, but the small white stuff in her hair catchs up the attention in an snap and that's what will make the client running away. Improve your techniques before posting in your port. Think that your port must show your best skills always.

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2010, 12:07 PM

Hi everyone. I´m new in Retouchpro and must say that it seems really educational and time consuming. This is my first upload and first post. Hope to hear your comments and critique.http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/mem...retouchpro.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2010, 12:17 PM

Nothing in that link. You have to upload the file as an attachment. You can do by clicking on "go advanced".
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching