RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Would anyone like to practice...

Old 02-05-2010, 07:12 AM

Re: Would anyone like to practice...

Guys, i think you 2 need to think something before doing your retouch and it is visualizing what the photograph actually needs and what doesn't. Think of it this way: The photographer spent time measuring light, positioning it and choosing the right modifiers. Then he decided on ratios, background, ambient vs flash, or no ambient at all.... he made those choices. As retouchers you need to respect that.

Most of you started retouching the photo in a way that "erased" the photographers job and didn't correct any of the problems that he didn't have 100% control over (make up, modeling, skin, hair).

Before even thinking about special effects you first need to correct things, and THEN, and only if needed you could start thinking "sfx".

I've been working on this file for 5 hours and I still haven't changed color, contrast or anything like that. This image needed heavy cleaning/restructuring. Without those things fixed, anything else you do is a waste of time and a ticket to not be taken seriously by the photographer.

I have uploaded a work in progress.
-Couple conversions merged
-Restructuring
-Local contrast and some D&B
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_1269-copy.jpg (90.2 KB, 984 views)

Last edited by flexmanta; 02-05-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2010, 07:42 AM

Hi guys,
Tony is a mate of mine and the image was set up and light correctly, Flex, your version is looking very very good mate and what you said is so true about staying true to the photographers vision. If you ever need amy more headshots to work on let either of us know, we have a selection.
Nice work fella.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2010, 07:43 AM

Flexmanta : That is looking really good....

Derekj / Gary - I think Flexmanta makes very valid points and gives good advice. I am in no way a retouching pro nor will I ever be but I have to agree with what has been said in that, as a photographer, I do not want the photo changed drastically with different backgrounds or making the model look plastic/false, but at the same time I appreciate there are things "wrong" with the photo that a retoucher should be able to fix/enhance. But I thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed playing with the photo and also hope that you may have learned some new things...

Tony
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2010, 10:32 AM

Hi Tony!

First of all, thanks for the nice pic to work with! Here's what I did in PP:

-Skin fix (Removing lines, hairs ets.)
-Hair fix (Color, extra hair that bothered me )
-Shaping (Eyes, lips, jaw, nose)
-Skin smoothing
-Little sharpening

_MG_1269_by_Oskari.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trb75 View Post
Hi,

Have been snooping around retouchpro for a while now trying to pick up tips and help on retouching and must say I have learned a lot in a short time. I am a fairly new photographer and do my own retouching - though sometimes this leaves alot to be desired and perhaps I should leave it to the experts as I am quickly learning there are no secrets and that it takes a lot of hard work, time and dedication.

In saying all that I took a photo the other night that I think has the potential to be very good if retouched correctly and I wondered if anyone would like to see what they can do with it. I have attached a low res version but the original RAW file can be downloaded from http://www.sendspace.com/file/nuy6lm

Let me know if you would like to give it a go. I would be very interested to see what you guys/gals can come up with.

Thanks
Tony
Sendspace is useless: "Sorry, the free service is at full capacity."

Better use FREE http://www.wetransfer.com, which doesn't run/time out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexmanta View Post
Guys, i think you 2 need to think something before doing your retouch and it is visualizing what the photograph actually needs and what doesn't. Think of it this way: The photographer spent time measuring light, positioning it and choosing the right modifiers. Then he decided on ratios, background, ambient vs flash, or no ambient at all.... he made those choices. As retouchers you need to respect that.
Most of you started retouching the photo in a way that "erased" the photographers job and didn't correct any of the problems that he didn't have 100% control over (make up, modeling, skin, hair).
Before even thinking about special effects you first need to correct things, and THEN, and only if needed you could start thinking "sfx".
I've been working on this file for 5 hours and I still haven't changed color, contrast or anything like that. This image needed heavy cleaning/restructuring. Without those things fixed, anything else you do is a waste of time and a ticket to not be taken seriously by the photographer.
I have uploaded a work in progress.
-Couple conversions merged
-Restructuring
-Local contrast and some D&B
I think that you comments are well based Tony and I thank you.

In my case, I approached this project in a very general way and made the changes to suit my tastes at the time. The original poster had not made comment regarding his/her dislikes of this pose nor was there any mention of anything in particular that he/she would like to see changed. I prefer that there would be more of this. And, when it's not stated, is there a right or wrong? There sure is a 'good and not-so-good.' Accordingly, I understood this to be a case where 'lets see what you do and how does it look now?'

I like the professional results of your time that you put in and I have learned accordingly. Next time, I will rethink my approach, especially when there are no defined directions, try something different and learn even more. Constructive critiques do that for me.

It's all subjective IMHO.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2010, 12:28 PM

Hehe, still working on the image. And, btw, according to my "creative director" Natalia Taffarel (aka Godmother) heheh, in retouching, there noticeable IS right and wrong.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2010, 03:26 PM

Thanks Tony for the image to try out. I retouched a little and played with light and shadow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_1269-MA.jpg (163.7 KB, 429 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2010, 04:03 PM

Here goes. I have overwritten the original sized retouched file with this one by mistake so there won't be anything more from me I am afraid (unless I start over again that is).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_1269b.jpg (88.6 KB, 445 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2010, 04:57 PM

SecretAgents - Thanks very much for that - I like what you have done as it has stayed true to the original photograph - shame you overwrote it!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching