RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Would anyone like to practice...

Old 02-12-2010, 06:02 AM

Re: Would anyone like to practice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marek View Post
hahahahha don't forget we're all started at this stage, browsing the web with "retouch, soft skin" keyword in google...
Hell yeah, I started by blurring the images in a dup layer set to softlight, then I found the surface blur technique, then I went to portraiture, then I went into degrunge, then frequencies and D&B ^^ the best technique I found
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2010, 08:23 AM

To be honest, I never blurred skin. Blurring is NOT a beginner's thing. It's something of bad taste. Have you ever been next to a flawless beautiful model in person and said: "oh my god, your skin is soo gaussian!". Don't use that as a pickup line.... It's just that, blurred skin doesn't look anything like perfect skin.

Look Quantum3, enough with the Buddhist wisdom. It's OK to be harsh on the comments. Saying that something you do is cheap, is not an insult, it's a wake up call, and it works, because the individual will remember that what he did, is associated in the industry with a cheap result, and then he won't do it again... cause it's like covering bad smell with air freshener.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2010, 08:37 AM

I kind of can see both angles here. I for one would love to be able to use the D&B way of retouching skin but

a) I can have 20+ images from a shoot that I need to provide to the model in a short time space and so I tend to use Portraiture for speed and ease. The models are generally very happy with the results.

b) Now and again I will shoot an image that I would love to retouch using D&B but I have never found a satisfactory tutorial on how to do it - i.e. Showing the basics and an easy way to learn how to do it in small steps. (if anyone can point me in the direction of one that would be great!)

I therefore think that if you are serious about becoming a professional retoucher (or at least a very good one) then I would suggest trying to get into the correct habits from the outset. If you are like me and just like to attempt quick and easy retouching then thats fine but don't expect the likes of flexmanta to go wild over what you do or praise your retouching. The likes of Natalia and Amy Dresser are not stupid, if they thought retouching skin using portraiture or blur methods was better than D&B then I am sure they would save themselves hours of work and do it that way instead.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2010, 09:20 AM

Fortunaltely, most of the times when we retouch photos for test or work, the models were picked meticulously, have good make up, and model skin. There is one photo that i have retouched that the D&B alone took me more than 2 days non stop, because i had to do it pore by pore and it was a ridiculously high-res digital back raw.

Most of the times, you don't need to d&b pore by pore, because a model is a model... so, healing and cloning, a couple inverted high passes and d&b on large areas, are often more than enough for having a clean image to start all the creative work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2010, 11:02 AM

@Flexmanta and Quantum and all
retouchers are going crazy with texture. Too much texture looks as fake as too little.
Think of it this way:
How far away is the model IF they were standing in front of you.
Look at the image in PS at a zoom approximating a real person in your field of view AND at 100%. How much texture would you see on the model's face at these distances? Thats how much texture the retouched picture should have. (give or take a little for style)

consider a full body shot ... you are X meters away. Can you see every pore and line?
The camera though may be able to pick it up when viewed at 100%. How much texture is there at 100%. Now with a little sharpen. Thats how much texture should be there...

Thats my opinion anyways.
--Shift Studio.

Last edited by shift studio; 02-12-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2010, 11:15 AM

reason I say above is because mushmush's retouch seems about right at the scale in the attachment veiwed at 100% (maybe a little soft, but not blurry).
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift studio View Post
reason I say above is because mushmush's retouch seems about right at the scale in the attachment veiwed at 100% (maybe a little soft, but not blurry).
He/she also did a pretty good job with head positioning and the neck and shoulder lines.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2010, 11:22 AM

Too much texture? How is actually captured texture ever too much? The texture should stay exactly as the camera captured it (taking into account the native antialiasing built in in cameras).

As retouchers we should not change that texture in intensity, but in quality, to make the model look like she was having a good skin day. Again, there is never a need for blurring anything. People who are not used to retouching will notice and for people who are used to it, like us, it just hurts. And if it doesn't hurt you, it's only a matter of time till it does. Blurring is to high-end retouching what ketchup is to high-end cuisine... not the best example, i like my ketchup, but you get the point, and the key word here is high-end.

Yeah, not everyone here is after a career in pro retouching, but that doesn't mean they should not work to achieve the same level of quality.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2010, 11:25 AM

You can compare textures here.

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/6053/tonyball1.jpg
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/att...6&d=1265915244

Dont mind the liquifying. I have an advantage in that area because i have seen the model in other, non posed images. It's hard to liquify somebody without knowing how they really look. There are times that liquify is used to correct for the glass choice of some photographers, and also for when they don't have enough room in the studio to step back and use a tele lens. When they use wide glass, you have to compensate for the distortion that this creates, and that's very hard to do when you haven't seen the face of the model in other photos.

Last edited by flexmanta; 02-12-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexmanta View Post
The texture should stay exactly as the camera captured it (taking into account the native antialiasing built in in cameras).
Quote:
The camera though may be able to pick it up when viewed at 100%. How much texture is there at 100%. Now with a little sharpen. Thats how much texture should be there...
We have the the same opinion. I'm talking about way over-sharpening, over contrast on high frequency, strong added textures etc. I'm not saying you, Flexmanta, have done that, but believe me I've seen it, and it screams 'retouch' just like 'surface blur' or whatever.

--shift studio.

Last edited by shift studio; 02-12-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching