RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Would anyone like to practice...

Old 02-12-2010, 11:36 AM

Re: Would anyone like to practice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexmanta View Post
Look Quantum3, enough with the Buddhist wisdom. It's OK to be harsh on the comments. Saying that something you do is cheap, is not an insult, it's a wake up call, and it works, because the individual will remember that what he did, is associated in the industry with a cheap result, and then he won't do it again... cause it's like covering bad smell with air freshener.
There is a difference between saying that's cheap and saying that's not the best way to achieve a certain look. The first one disqualifies while the second one is an advice.

As for the blurring, each of us had different experiences. I cannot imagine a person deducting the splitting frequencies or the degrunge technique by itself. It's not rocket science, but quite abstract and even reading a tutorial keeps the absract look.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2010, 11:47 AM

I use subtle blurring to finalize my artificial skin texture technique and do some subtle sharpening to regain some form. Blurring for me is necessary but not a key component in handling facial skin retouches.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2010, 02:05 PM

bobmata:
Comments, for what they're worth: I like the reshaping of the neck and shoulders. Turning up the mouth corner was nice, but you need to do the other corner, too. I think the eyelid color should be balanced by adding color to the cheeks and lips.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2010, 02:05 PM

Cheap is not a disqualification, it's just a qualification. Cheap... as in, expensive retouch services will never involve blur (unless used for special effects), and cheap ones do.

And btw, splitting frequencies by itself is not a skin fixing technique. It's a preparation to achieve the best results of using the healing and cloning tools like you would normally do. You can do advanced things with it like extracting texture independently from color from certain parts to use on other parts and what not. But, splitting as such is not a skin fixing technique... so don't go inverting your high just like that, because straight high plus inverted high equals gaussian blur.

Last edited by flexmanta; 02-12-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2010, 02:39 PM

Smile Re: Would anyone like to practice...

Thank You all for your comments- I shall keep them in mind in future attempts

p.s I should have clarified- the blur tech. used was an inverted high pass
and the 100kb file seems to be killing my texture

Back to the drawing board!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2010, 03:06 PM

Just think about how beautiful perfect texture is... clone and heal as much as needed only on the flaws, and then d&b the areas. If you can't see the lightness flaws with your naked eye, try creating a temporary curve just for you to see. Then do a before and after and you will see that, blurring was never necessary.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2010, 05:17 PM

hey guys i tried too but the picture i couldnt download that RAW one .. so i guess it's look bit dodgy .. anyway just let me know what i could do better ,i know skin is not perfect .. but wanted to keep it as real as possible .. and res of the pic was quite bad .... guys .. thanx .
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/mem...hats-wrong.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly_and_roy View Post
bobmata:
Comments, for what they're worth: I like the reshaping of the neck and shoulders. Turning up the mouth corner was nice, but you need to do the other corner, too. I think the eyelid color should be balanced by adding color to the cheeks and lips.
Thanx Shelly, I really need that kind of comment. Sometimes I go blind on other details especially when I'm engrossed to a certain part of editing. I am learning from you. Thanx.

Last edited by bobmata; 02-12-2010 at 05:34 PM. Reason: grammar correcting
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2010, 08:08 PM

mushmuch: kudos on reconstructing the top of the head. I'd go ahead and clone out that little jag of hair in the back, too. The shoulders look good. I remark on the shoulders because I only really noticed today that they needed fixed.

Things I have noticed about the original: Skin blemishes and stray hair, obviously. Shadows around the nose. Cheeks could stand a little lifting. Eyes need blood vessels toned down. Head should be straightened. The far side of her face (her left, our right) is under-lit. There's a blotch of makeup on her cheek that desperately needs blended in.
For bonus points, at high resolution, there are a lot of hairs on the chin. The eyes want a bit of sharpening.

More bonus points: just below the part of her hair is a section that's thin. It bugs me.

Study Flexmanta's work. He's addressed all of these and more, and it's a really good reference for what you might want yours to look like. You might find that you want to do something differently, and that's ok. Just know why you want to.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2010, 06:24 AM

First post first attempt, retouching without any skin blur technique.
This D%B the skin is huge amount of work, but the result may be good.
I think i need more practice.

Here is what i have so far:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_1269_export.jpg (98.8 KB, 130 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching