RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Who's the best?

Old 02-04-2010, 09:18 AM

Who's the best?

Hi, I'm new to this forum (even though I've been reading for a while) and would like to learn how to do retouching. I tried to go through some books but they seem to be all like technical manuals ("push this button and this will happen") rather than "explaining the flow". Could someone recommend a good book or video tutorial? Also it would be interesting to know who are the retouching gurus at the moment so that I could have a look at their work. Thanks, Markus
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2010, 09:20 AM

Re: Who's the best?

What type of retouching are you hoping to achieve ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2010, 09:29 AM

I like portraits and like the work of Amy Dresser even though I really dislike most of the attempts of others who were after that look (including myself). In the end I'm not after a specific retouching type but how after understanding the underlying concepts. Something like: here we have a decent photograph, these are the "flaws" and those could be the methods to improve them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2010, 09:36 AM

This is a useful book the gry garness e-book Here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2010, 03:33 PM

http://www.deke.com/dekepod

My personal fav.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2010, 04:13 PM

This website host webinars with very good retouchers who show you their work flow and thought process...everyone's approach is different. They move fast so you need to be familar with the "buttons". Retouching takes knowledge, experience, time and practice. Remain patient...it will come...

Be careful of training DVD's...often overpriced for what they deliver. check out Lydia training on google and kelby training on google....much more value for the $
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2010, 09:11 PM

Neither Lynda or Deke Mclelland will help you retouching beauty or fashion. As a matter of fact, most of the instructors are blur people. Lynda.com is the best place to get to know the tools (PS, IL, ID, FL), but it will NOT teach you the technique.

Natalia Taffarel's tutorials are the best ones. She's a real full time retoucher with big name clients. The rest are either basic, incomplete, or just directed to gaussian people.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2010, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexmanta View Post
Neither Lynda or Deke Mclelland will help you retouching beauty or fashion. As a matter of fact, most of the instructors are blur people. Lynda.com is the best place to get to know the tools (PS, IL, ID, FL), but it will NOT teach you the technique.
Yes, thats what I found too. I used to subscribe to Kelby training and certainly learned a lot about the buttons, but I'm lacking the technique! Any more hints of how to pick up the techniques? I got Nicks videos and like it so far (only finished the first session yet as I received them yesterday) and will have a look at Natalia too! @Doctorontop: thanks for the ebook tip by the way, I'll check that out as well.

Last edited by linmar; 02-05-2010 at 01:55 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2010, 05:10 AM

..i didn't mean that one should not ever suscribe to Lynda.com. Knowing how your tools work is very important. In fact, Deke is a great instructor. I did most of the lynda training some years ago and i don't regret it. It's just that you reach a level where you watch one of their "super ultra advanced" videos and there's nothing that you didn't know, and something you disagree with.

Also, photoshop user tv, photoshop world, pixelperfect, kelby training, same thing. It's ok for beginners. I don't know how much deeper they go in their workshops, but at least, the stuff that they give for free on their websites isn't of much use to whomever has taken retouching seriously and has already completed his basic training. But if you are starting, take that training. You will not achieve the best results, but you will learn how the tools work... and then you will come up with your own ways of using them (which is the main secret of it all... 10 ways to do one thing, you need to know your stuff to decide which one to use).
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2010, 09:38 PM

Chris Orwig Is another good one.
Also, while I agree, Linmar that Kelby training online is more a point and click training, Scott Kelby has a book out called "the 7 point system for Photoshop CS3" that goes through his retouching work-flow point by point.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching