RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Valentines Gift idea

Old 02-06-2010, 09:41 PM

Valentines Gift idea

I'm not sure where to post this question so here goes. I was thinking of taking one of our wedding pictures, and enlarging it a size and putting it in a nice frame for a valentines gift for my wife.

I have some pictures say 4x6 color that are pretty sharp but a little faded, so I was thinking I could scan one in a high resolution, my scanner can go up to 1200dpi, do some color restoration , and then have it printed at a Drug store or where ever on high quaily paper, say 5x7 size.

So my question is, would that work if I scan the picture hi rez, to print it out say one size larger? I know it would most liklely look bad if I tried to enlarge it too much say a 4x6 up to a 8x12 or so. Has anyone else done this? I know you want to see the picture first, I'll scan one later when I get the chance and post it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2010, 10:29 PM

Re: Valentines Gift idea

Well first I would try to contact the photographer who took the photos, because depending on where you are some drugstores don't print stuff if they don't have a written consent from the photographer.

Photo restoration techniques would work well here, and scaning a 4x6 photo can be enlagred quite a bit before it degrades. Just be sure you've got the permition of the photographer before doing so.

Cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Patron

Runfox, as a general rule 300 dpi is considered very good print quality resolution. Scanning a 4x6 at 1200 dpi is 4 times the min resolution meaning in that you should be able to get a really good quality print at 16 x 24 " from your scan.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2010, 11:53 PM

OK thanks all, that is what I was looking for. As for the consent to reproduce, I dont see any way that can happen, we were married in 1976, and I dont even think the photographer is in that buisiness anymore, and I doubt I could even find him if I tried to get his consent. Besides which it would just be one print for ourselves , no publish or sell involved.

So that's what I was wondering , I should be able to scan and enlarge a bit with out loosing quality. I was thinking Ill look fro a nice frame with maybe one or a couple of pictures I could make a nice wedding arrangement in.

See when we got married , we only got 4x6 pictures , and like one 8x10, they were mainly all proofs, because we were so poor we never were able to come up with the money to buy prints. So we really dont have but one little wedding book, and a few other pictures all small, so one of my progects will be to make a decent wedding book with some creative color resoration and enlarging when I have the time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2010, 11:43 AM

You could also take a picture of the picture, outside on a
overcast day. Then fix it in PS.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2010, 04:19 PM

I paid for that picture and it's mine. I'm not selling it. So I would just go ahead and do what I wanted with it.

I have 55 year old wedding pictures. You mean to tell me that I have to get the dead photographers permission. Never heard of anything more ridiculous.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2010, 02:33 PM

Yeah Albatross, I think the issue is publishing rights and royalties, but it would apply to a recent or still active photographer. Like most current wedding photographers, they have rights to the images they sell you.You are not to recopy, publish or sell with out their permission. But of course in my case and yours, where the photographer is not alive or available, the pictures are ours. I am just going to do some repairs and enlarging as a Valentine gift for my wife.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2010, 04:41 PM

Runfox, I paid, as most parents do, hundreds of dollars to the photographer for those wedding pictures. I'll be damn if I am prevented by a copyright law to make a copy for others if they want a copy. Maybe we should charge them for allowing them to take the photos. How much are they going to lose if a private individual decides to make a few copies.

In this instance screw the copyright law.

I am usually not to upset by laws pushed by special interests but this is a bit too far.

I hope that your wife enjoys her Valentine gift.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching