RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to achieve this effect?

Old 02-07-2010, 08:29 AM

How to achieve this effect?

hello guys,

I am new here, but I joined to learn some interesting stuff with u guys

I got a technique I find to be more and more popular and I dont really know how it is done.

The most interesting thing for me is 1. skin tone 2. details - when zoomed into photos like this one, there is just 1 - 2 skin tones and no skin pores etc.

The effect is a little bit cartoonish but it is not quite a cartoon stuff here

Appreciate any help from you guys!

Sample pictures:

http://img705.imageshack.us/i/52987.jpg/
http://img17.imageshack.us/i/9275u.jpg/
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2010, 09:14 AM

Re: How to achieve this effect?

Lighting, make up, models, styling, and then, when the photo is made and cleaned up in post, you boost the light by dodging and burning.

You will not achieve this effect without a properly lit photograph.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2010, 10:26 AM

Flexmanta, I know that, lighting comes from a single beauty dish and is a litlle bit overexposed. Also, a bit more make up than usuall etc. I got all that covered.

The thing is, that the photo is not processed with D&B only. U can get similar effect by smoothing and then enhancing details, but this way u loose all the color from the photo, also quality is getting really low.

I am interested in how it is done but in post processing terms
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2010, 10:37 AM

Light does not come from a single beauty... on the first one there's at least 3 lights just on her.

I really don't know what kind of answer you expect, a filter name? That's not the way it works. It's impossible to know, with a well retouched photo, what has been done to it without seeing the before'n'after.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2010, 10:59 AM

Thanks Flexmanta,

Dont get me wrong, I dont need a plugin name or anything like that. About the light, 1st photo is beauty dish + snoot from the back. The model is pasted onto a backdrop I guess. Anyways - the lights I understand more or less.

I dont want any plugins or I dont need to copy the setup I am wondering how to achieve the skin like the one on the image. If u look at the face of the model, there are maybe 2 - 3 colors. It is a little bit unnatural, maybe even cartoon-like.

If u can help me, I am gonna appreciate any tips.

"That's not the way it works. It's impossible to know, with a well retouched photo, what has been done to it without seeing the before'n'after."

I know that, I am not asking workflow, plugins and I dont ask how the photo was taken etc. All I am asking about is skin. Also, this is not a classical retouch, it is more of an artistic way to retouch a model. No perfect skin here, exactly oposite. All totaly overdone and changed. I think it is even easier to tell what was changed when looking at a photo like this.

Flexmanta - I saw loads of your retouches, I respect your workshop, I know you are more into classical retouch, where nobody can tell if the photo was changed. I hope, u might come with an idea, how can u actually overdo some of the techniques used in retouch, to achieve such an effect

uugh - what a long post
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2010, 11:34 AM

Ok, in that case, if you want to know about what was done to the skin, im afraid the answer will be almost the same. Unless you get to see the before and after to see what she had on that skin and what she doesn't have now, there's no way to tell.

2, tones? Im afraid not. Try gradient mapping a skin in the most realistic way you can just with 2 tones. The duotone on skin for color correcting should only be applied to small areas and with colors picked specifically for the area to be corrected. When you d&b a lot, you often have to deal with decoloration and gradient mapping on different blending modes is always an option. Regarding what was done for getting a flawless skin, well, it's impossible to tell at that size. My opinion is that she didn't even need that much retouch on her skin. There are some photographs of models with perfect skin that really save you time, as you don't have to d&b pores and can easily get away just with healing. Other tecniques can also be called dodging and burning, such as using inverted high passes to tame drastic color and light transitions and smoothing the facial features. In any case, and for almost every needed skin finish, blurring is NEVER the way to go.

Is there a similarly lit photo that you would like us to work on so you can learn some things?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2010, 01:32 PM

ok, here is the photo, it is straight out of raw, no changes done. The only one I have, that is overexposed, took it while setting up the lights I think it is gonna be fine for what we are trying to do.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/vcng35
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Patron

Fluffy, Welcome to RetouchPRO Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends. Poke around, ask questions, offer help, have fun!

The sample lady in the corner I don't think much has been done in post except for cloning out the person or apparatus that held the corner of her cover-up (and they forgot to put the shadow back in!)

The second sample looks to me like a simple masked Hue/Sat layer with the reds reduced

I did a basic levels on your original.. then a masked multiply layer to darken the light areas
used a masked Hue/Sat layer to reduce the reds and yellows some
darkened lips, eyebrows by painting them black on a new, reduced opacity, overlay layer

I think it compares pretty well to the second sample

~~~ Target ~~~~~ Original ~~~~~ Result ~~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg second-sample.jpg (198.4 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg sample1-orig.jpg (197.2 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg sample1-color.jpg (195.3 KB, 102 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2010, 04:07 PM

Wow, thank you Baldy, I think it is a good direction. Also thanks for welcoming me here, I am watching this forum for quite a while now.

I attached 2 more photos within the same style (I think it is all 1 photographer or studio) so u can see exactly the style I am talking about. U are pretty close with the photo u posted, but I think there is just a little thing missing. I am gonna try to do something with the sample u processed, but if u can, check the links I pasted. I cannot find a bigger image anywhere, hope the photos I attached will help u understand me

Sorry for my English, didnt use it for a while and its getting rusty

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/7222/76678.jpg
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/7530/79228.jpg
http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/682/26859.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
I think there is just a little thing missing.
LOL give me a break .. only spent 5 minutes on your picture..
and I totally agree with flexmanta,... to achieve the technique you want "you boost the light by dodging and burning. You will not achieve this effect without a properly lit photograph."

The effects you want can readily be achieved with judicial Dodging and Burning (D&B)
This is an example of what can be done with D&B http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/att...7&d=1260752170 (Give it a few seconds to change)

A PSD showing the layers and steps can be downloaded here
a PDF tutorial can be downloaded here

I know this sample is NOT exactly what you want or even close but it is a sample of what is possible on the extreme side
The amount of change or cartoonish effect is determined by you, your needs and your skills ..

I realize that D&B may not be the answer you want but it is the right one
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching