RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Calvinize...

Old 02-09-2010, 06:44 PM

Calvinize...

Just 15 minutes of watching this video and already, i learned something extremely useful for my workflow.

Opening from lightroom as Smart Objects.

Thanks Calvin, paid in full already. And i'm just on the BASIC Raw conversion! haha

And btw, your English is great! I think it's a positive that you are not a native English speaker, because it forces you to speak a little slower and allows people to comprehend what you are saying.

Great job! Ok, just had to say that. Back to video...
Old 02-10-2010, 12:31 AM

Re: Calvinize...

Let me say this:

I had my share with online training videos...and hour after hour with Cris Orwig, Scott Kelby, Dr.Deke...and so on..but i have NEVER learned so much as i did with Calvin and his "Calvanized!...and i got too say the tequnices he teaches are just stunning. And his english is very good for a guy that ain't english...i understood every single word!!

What he teaches is perfect for those who know most of the basic. My own experiance is that when u know the basic..it kinda stops abit...I keep playing around with blending-modes, filters, and all off the assets...but i always wounder "ok, what can i do with this basic, layers, and so on...Calvin opened my eyes to a whole new world of possibilities, and i felt more creative, more inspirated then ever before.

The way he teaches, is for me, just damn brilliant!!...he show "why", he show "why not", he's telling the advanage, and the disadvanages..absolutley perfect.

His fantastic humor, the way he "approches" the images, telling his way of thinking, and the way u get sucked into his tutorials are just brilliant.

Everything was perfect from the minute i registerd, untill the download was finished. It was so easy, and i loved the fact that u don't need PayPal or other "online" methodes for purshasing..witch makes it all sooo easy, simple and straight foreward.

Now, i'm not a proffesional in any way, and i'm not qualified to review his videotraining in with the "proffesional eyes".. when it comes to the tequnices,....but for me, i find it just stunning, and jaw-dropping. And i have to say that this really made my world around images, and photoshop, soo much more exiting..cuz i've learn to "think" abit different, and now....i really know how to do stunning things now..

I've always though.."that's very cool...but how the **** do they do it"...now i got the "edge" to maybe understand...and that's the amazing thing...u don't need to understand every single slider, settings, or even every filter!

I can not thank Calvin enough for his effords..and in english even!!
I know this seems like u learn like everything..no u don't, but you teach many brilliant tequnices, that are soo helpful, and it opened my eyes for a whole new photoshop experiance!!

Of course, everybody is on a different level..and some of you may know the tequnices...but this is my own thoughs around this...and i can just talk for myself.

So again..Calvin just lifted my Photoshop skill-level, my experiance, my way the approch images, my way of general thinking in Photoshop....what more can you wish for??!!!

If i ever see Calvin, i will give him a hug, and i don't care if he don't want to!!...i'm gonna give him a hug anyway, and say thank you, thank you, thank you....cuz this is just damn spectaculare!!!!!!!

And for those who think "oh look at him..showing of, hoping Calvin read this"..well come on!..i will defend every single word i've said...written in fact..cuz there is a saying in Norway..and it goes like this "Your should honor those how makes a different"....and in this case...

Calvin is my HERO!!!!
Old 02-10-2010, 01:12 AM

Where can i find this video?
Old 02-10-2010, 04:38 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by manzneri View Post
Where can i find this video?
calvinhollywood
Old 02-10-2010, 04:41 AM

http://www.calvinhollywood-blog.com/...Trainings.html

The cool thing about this system, is thatyou got accses too your trainingvideos when ever u got internet

...like me as we speak..sitting at work and watching Calvin in action...brilliant isnt it??

Last edited by _Steve_; 02-10-2010 at 05:03 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:43 AM

http://calvinhollywood.de/onlinetraining.asp

I finished up until the channels section last night. I kept throwing up my arms, i knew how to do some of the things he was teaching, but he had such simpler methods. Real time savers. I started to get pissed off actually, because it's like... i felt like i didn't know photoshop at all.

The DVD isn't really meant to be taken in all at once. It's long (In a good way), and i'll be going back to reference it often. I couldn't believe some of these techniques were as simple as he was saying, so i had to open one of my photos to try it out, and sure enough, it was.

He includes all the images on the DVD as well, so you can follow along.

I have to say, i'm not a beginner in photoshop by any means, but i now realize there are easier ways to do things. This is some of the best money i've ever spent.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:42 AM

im definitely interested in this video. Would like to know if I will be able to backup up these videos on to a hard drive or DVD? Computers crash and burn and would hate to loose out on my investment.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:24 AM

I bought it last weekend and I'm very very happy with it!
The tutorials are very good and you get awesome effects very easy.

My english isn't very good... I'm spanish and I understand the videos perfectly!

You can watch the videos directly from the web & You can download it 800Mb.

Really good!
Old 02-10-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Steve_ View Post
http://www.calvinhollywood-blog.com/...Trainings.html

The cool thing about this system, is thatyou got accses too your trainingvideos when ever u got internet
I've got internet! But none of the (Flash) videos will run in Safari. They will run in Chrome and Firefox, though!
Old 02-10-2010, 12:26 PM

Sweet. thanks jferrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jferrer View Post
I bought it last weekend and I'm very very happy with it!
The tutorials are very good and you get awesome effects very easy.

My english isn't very good... I'm spanish and I understand the videos perfectly!

You can watch the videos directly from the web & You can download it 800Mb.

Really good!
Old 02-10-2010, 01:47 PM

So...is it worth buying? I'm trying to make a decision here...
Old 02-10-2010, 03:51 PM

You can download the videos as well as watch online (I believe, I haven't tried but it says "Download Video Training" so I assume this is the download of everything).
Old 02-10-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
So...is it worth buying? I'm trying to make a decision here...
Yes!. We finished it tonight. It's really useful and helpful. I certainly walked away with techniques i'll be able to apply immedately. I was very impressed and the kicker is, they are fast as hell. You figure with someone like Calvin Hollywood, all his techniques are going to take like 20-30 minutes.

He did it right, he showed you the fast way, and the long way (if time permits) i was very impressed with the layout.

Two thumbs up.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:58 PM

Has anyone else experienced choppy video/audio playback? I tend to keep a lot of firefox windows open, some with other flash components running. It seemed like if I tried to follow along in Photoshop with the DVD playing (from the download, not over the web), it would get choppy and break up.

Quad-core Mac Pro 2.66 w/ 6GB RAM.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:04 AM

Manzneri:
it's worth every single penny!!!!!!!!

I don't know your Photoshop-level, but i'm about 100% sure you will learn alot...even if your level is over avarage

well, 100% was abit harsh..u could be an expert for all i know...
But i'm very sure u will find it both stunning and very useful )
Old 02-11-2010, 12:38 PM

Is there anywhere to see samples from the video?
Old 02-11-2010, 01:00 PM

http://www.calvinhollywood-blog.com/
Old 02-12-2010, 12:58 PM

Good links in here!
Old 02-12-2010, 02:39 PM

Ok go easy on me, i'm still learning...

Before:
http://www.symbolphoto.com/Clients/2...KLogoOrig1.jpg

After:
http://www.symbolphoto.com/Clients/2...phySKLogo1.jpg

I don't need to use any hdr looking tools anymore. Learning what Calvin did is really going to change some things in my workflow. Overlay with large soft white sources to act as spotlights is huge...
Old 02-12-2010, 02:46 PM

I like what you've done with it. There's a bit too much noise in the darkest areas for my taste, like in the suit pants etc... I think if you had a better base exposure you could avoid that next time.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:49 PM

Agreed. I figured it was too small for anyone to notice. I guess not!
Old 02-12-2010, 05:39 PM

Unlike most other tuts I've watched I don't get sleepy while viewing calvinize. A good thing.

I was really impressed in how quick he can knock out composites on green, grey, and white backgrounds. This will help me lots since I like to shoot on white and black seamless backgrounds.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:32 AM

I gave it a try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original.jpg (65.3 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg New.jpg (90.3 KB, 229 views)
Old 02-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Patron

Calvin is so easy to like. I love his way of instruction! Funny in a good way and the easy routes he follows to get where HE wants to. And he takes you along so smoothly. If you like it. . . DO IT!!

Damn sure worth it. I agree with Brendan . . .2 thumbs up!
Old 02-19-2010, 08:15 PM

Another example. Sorry i don't have any beauty retouch examples. It's cold here and we have our first clients this weekend.

Before:
http://www.symbolphoto.com/Clients/2...montBefore.jpg

and,

After:
http://www.symbolphoto.com/Clients/2...rmontAfter.jpg

Not perfect, but the client LOVES it. They wanted the water more blue than i had it originally.

Calvin, thank you! Man, these techniques are extremely useful.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:24 PM

Oh i just saw the thread.

I have to ay thank you to you all.

Wow, makes me happy

lg calvin
Old 02-22-2010, 02:34 PM

No problem Calvin, i love it. Put out another DVD which has detailed explanations on blending modes. Very detailed. And i'll buy it!
Old 02-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Patron

I agree with Symbol. I love your way of instructing. I am in for more. Just keep prices level!
Old 02-22-2010, 03:24 PM

Calvin, you are the most entertaining and enjoyable host I have listened to so far - and I have heard a great many. Your English is great. You have a good deal of valuable content, but the video series is worth the price for its entertainment value alone! Keep producing them!
Regards, Murray
Old 02-22-2010, 05:29 PM
Patron

He said it better!
Old 02-24-2010, 01:27 AM

Has anyone watched the 'photoshop topsecret' tutorials? Can they be compared any way to 'calvinize'? Wich one is better?

Going to buy this calvinize-thing today maybe...
Old 02-24-2010, 02:31 AM

I've seen the photoshop top secrets series dvd 1 to 5...
And no, in my mind it can not be compared...

In my mind Calvin teaches tequnices that make you think abit different, atleast i did..and he shows some fantastic teq. reguarding looks that i've wounder "how do they do that"...and he shows some yaw-dropping teq. reguarding retouching skin, and fasion overall...

Photoshop Top Secrets shows stuff that are more....hmmm....lets say artistic..fantasy if u want...like a frog made of melting chockolad and so on..

PTSEC is a huge series og f 5 dvd's and u will see a wide range of tequnices. It really depends of your photoshop-level...but i find Calvins tequnies more..in a way uniqe..atleast for my level...and thats cuz he changed my mind about how to retouch, and how to think photoshop in general...

this is my opinion..i can only speak for myself...guess it could be a personal view appending about photoshop-level and so on...
Old 02-24-2010, 02:38 AM

Hope i won't be disappointed after the purchase then...
Old 02-24-2010, 05:20 AM

Manzneri: Calvins or PSTSEC?
Well in my opinion it's all about your current photoshop-level....what i can say is that my own level is..well kinda over avarage (i hope) ...but it also depends on what kind of images you working on--..in fasion/beauty i'm kinda avarage plus...but let's say landscape, i'm rubbish ...
So it all depends...but after i bought Calvins course..i've expanded even more in photoshop...and thats cuz he thought me..not only the tips and tricks...but also they i think...my approch to the images...and so on...

so, even if you are high-skilled photoshoper...i think u will learn a thing or two
Old 02-24-2010, 05:56 AM

Blah. Registered to Training/Tutorials section and after selecting the calvinize to the cart and proceeding to the check out at the point where i insert my card number, expiration etc. and push the 'pay' button...nothing happens? Has anyone else experienced any problems.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:54 AM
Patron

Quote:
Blah. Registered to Training/Tutorials section and after selecting the calvinize to the cart and proceeding to the check out at the point where i insert my card number, expiration etc. and push the 'pay' button...nothing happens? Has anyone else experienced any problems.
Yeah! I felt like a Dunce. It is not all that seamless in the purchasing process. But I finally got it and the download was on its way!

So worth it for me. He is a nice guy to listen to. . . and to learn from. Well worth the money!

Top Secret appealed to me, but it was just too secret. A lot of cash for not having a reasonable preview!
Old 02-24-2010, 07:04 AM
Patron

Thinking again about "Photoshop Top Secret" and why I never got it. I think that it was over "Marketed" in the sense of SECRETS of which there are few. The thought that this huge volume of DVD's will "suddenly" open everything to you, still is a turn off for me, That is not life! Anything good comes from study and time!

By the way, I just checked Ebay and a set of 4 secrets DVD's showed up with a current bid of a little more that $50. I would not be surprised to see more on Ebay and a few on Craig's list as well!
Old 02-24-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreesOfMyTime View Post
Yeah! I felt like a Dunce. It is not all that seamless in the purchasing process. But I finally got it and the download was on its way!

So worth it for me. He is a nice guy to listen to. . . and to learn from. Well worth the money!

Top Secret appealed to me, but it was just too secret. A lot of cash for not having a reasonable preview!
So, what problems did you have and how did you manage? I'm thinking that maybe i should send email straight to calvin...
Old 02-24-2010, 08:42 AM
Patron

Read as much of the other thread below as you can. Others had issues and Calvin responded with help. You can also email him and he will answer! My recollection is that you cannot get to some key place until you have paid (Doh) , but I could not get there because I could not see the MY CART button because of screen color. (or stupidity on my part)

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...hniques-7.html
Old 02-24-2010, 11:53 AM

i had no problem what so ever with the purshasing....straight away i got the dl's..
I'm in europe, same as calvin..might made it easier...
anyway..explain the problem exactly and i'll help uot as much as i can..u can PM or e-mail if you want to..

...don't let a minor problem stop a major opportunity :O)
Old 02-24-2010, 12:16 PM

The process could have been explained a bit better but it really is not all that complicated or problematic. You register on the with your email and create a password. Once registered you can access the training archive but all you can view are two sample videos and the training outline until you purchase the training. Once you have ordered the training, you get 3 emails - welcome, order confirmation, payment confirmation and access notification. Your 3rd email informs you that your access to the training is now fully enabled. So the next time you go in you can see all of the videos and view them online or download two folders - one containing the videos and the other with the images files. You should not encounter any difficulties. Regards, Murray
Old 02-25-2010, 01:40 AM

Well, couldn't get my card to work, dunno why. But my friend created me an account and used his credit card, so now I'm able to watch the videos
Old 02-26-2010, 05:16 AM

Manz: good too hear it worked out for you!!....and btw..card's with no money dosen't work .....*hehehe*....sorry, just my bad friday-humor!!!...just kidding!!
Enjoy the "calvin-show"
Old 03-30-2010, 08:51 AM

hi..
I don´t understand where I can look att the calvenized material...
I´ve paid 71 eur and registered and everything, but I can´t find it...
I´ve got a mail that said "You can immediately retrieve the online-trainings." but where can i retreive it???

please help me...
thank you very much!!!!
Old 03-30-2010, 09:06 AM

I had the same problem. Shoot him an email and it'll be taken care of.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:40 AM

After you have paid, just go and log back into the site using your userid and password. Now when you click on the same links you did before to see the demo videos you will see the entire course index and will be able to click on any / all of the videos to watch them. There is another link where you can also download the videos to you PC if you prefer.
Regards, Murray
Old 03-30-2010, 01:03 PM

you mean to go back here:
http://www.calvinhollywood.de/onlinetraining.asp

and log in with my mailadress and password...

When i Do that I get a error message,
but hopefully it´s like "SymbolPhoto" says, that there is a problem right now, hopefully it will work soon... I realy want to see it now!!!!
thanks...
Old 03-30-2010, 01:12 PM

If I recall correctly, it took a few hours until the credit card purchase gets validated. If it does not work within a day, just send an email.
Rgds, Murray
Old 04-04-2010, 11:28 PM

It wasn't intuitive but I figured out how to dl the vids and assets and all is good. His tips are priceless and results are insanely amazing over some other training vids/books. It's well worth the investment to spark your creative ideas quickly.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:57 AM

Thanks to you guys, I took the plunge! Putting em on my Ipad as I type.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:02 PM

Yep, I too have bacome a fan. Am not a beginner retoucher and have retouched for some major clients in London for many years now, and although acheving the final results that Calvin does were within my capability, the method he got to them were a lot more concise with far less hassle than the techniques I have adopted and used for years, so a mighty 2 thumbs up to him and money very well spent. Have looked at tuts on all the American pros (the Kelbys and Dekes, the latter who I do really rate) but none cut to the chase and use blending modes with such intuition and visual impact. They are not conventional (inverting vivid light high passes and then gaussian blurring to clean and re-sharpen skintones - genius) but, by gum, they work. Well done Calvin. You are a breath of fresh air to the industry and your techniques are eye-opening even to the heavyweight retouchers out there. Any beginner-intermediate would save years of experimentation by investing in these tuts!
Old 12-25-2010, 08:37 PM

I think you hit the point, he does bring fresh air to the subject. I mean, who would think that Gaussian blur could be used to Sharpen or that there is such a thing as Global D&B. Ingenious to say the least. He gets to the point way too fast, makes me want to scream "how I did not think of that". I can't wait for his next DVD.
Honestly, his dvd made me feel like an idiot, so simple stuff and yet, so far to grasp. He is like a magician, get a rabbit out of an empty hat.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:11 AM

Just signed up for the vids as well, it won't let me access anything yet. Hope that I wake up in the morning to some great lessons
Old 12-27-2010, 03:11 PM

Well I'm awake and 10 hours later can't access the training ...bah!humbug!

I've only got one email, thanking me for registering at the site
Old 12-27-2010, 04:20 PM
Patron

Stay with it! Send an email to Calvin and tell him the steps you are taking! I had problems, however it si worth the wait. I love his technique! Good luck!
Old 12-27-2010, 04:34 PM

Thanks Trees

I've already shot him off an email. I'm in Australia ........... what's the time in Germany I wonder LOL
Old 12-27-2010, 05:04 PM
Patron

Allison:

I think that he is 10 hours behind you!

Don
Old 12-27-2010, 05:43 PM

Hi Alison
You have your email now. It took me 80 min sorry (its 1.39 am here)

If somebody have problems to order.... i can also do that via paypal.
You you can get the link 10 min after paying.
Just write me an email. Sorry for the trouble in the system.

Btw
In January i produce 5 courses with kelbytraining.
3 courses from the beginning to the end (photography and retouching)

Hope you all will like it

You can watch also free "behind the scenes" here
www.pixiq.com
I have a blog there

Thank you all
I appreciate

lg Calvin
Old 12-27-2010, 05:52 PM

Hi Calvin,

I received your reply When work starts hopefully they're get straight on to it for me.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:34 PM

I want to be watching it now!!!! LMAO

Wake up Calvin, wake up
Old 12-27-2010, 11:27 PM

Are they at work yet Calvin ? I'm not really any good at waiting
Old 12-28-2010, 12:42 AM

What time does Germany open ?
Old 12-28-2010, 04:18 AM

All fixed Calvin Big thanks to Gerhard
Old 12-28-2010, 08:41 AM

If you like to write me then use my email
calvin@calvinhollywood.de

I think its the wrong way to post here things where other people cant follow

lg Calvin
Old 12-29-2010, 04:49 PM

Sorry Calvin
Old 12-30-2010, 08:17 AM

Hi,

Really like the work Calvin and I am going to be getting your Calvinize tut soon.

Is there a link to the other ones you are doing at all that you mentioned earlier / or any more info on them yet?
Old 12-31-2010, 06:51 PM

Damn this thread....I just purchased this and so far so good! I received instant access as well! Thanks Calvin!

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching