RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Opinion ?

Old 02-09-2010, 10:29 PM

Opinion ?

What do you think of this retouching work? Anything I can do to improve it please? How is the skin texture, color tone?

http://www.pbase.com/image/121837500/original

Thanks to those who have take time to answer my questions. Most of this image has been done using new techniques I have learned in the past month on this forum (I have been retouching for over a year now though).

Thank You all in advance
Hadi
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2010, 02:26 AM

Re: Opinion ?

The new texture makes her skin look very dry and doesnt appeal to me.

She could use some extra eye lashes here and there, especially on the lower lid of her right eye.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2010, 05:48 AM

fotogen, what i like about this photo is not the way it looks, but the fact that it makes you one of the few people on this forum who actually analyzes a photo and comes up with the decision that i needs new skin texture, and that is a huge step.

Now, although it sounds very impressive to say that you created texture by bluring a gaussian noise layer, you will soon realize that it sounds better than it looks.

Do you know about frequency separation? This is a good tip. Next time you retouch a beauty shot that didn't need anything else than some healing, save it for stuff like these. The idea is to split that perfect skin and save the high frequency layer. Later, when you do a retouch of a face that has no texture at all, you can always cut pieces of your perfect texture and warp them into the face so that they match. I have never completely texturized a face with skin from another photo, but i have texturized parts of a face with texture from the same face and it looks great as long as you make them match properly and the radius of the high pass is correct.

edit: Looked at the before photo again.... she doesn't need texture replacement. Clean the low frec, make the pores even throughout her face, and maybe sharpen those pores ever so slightly. She has perfect skin. (of course, do it only if you have the full res RAW)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2010, 08:55 AM

Thank you all for the comments and critiques. The skin texture and skin tones are the hardest part of any retouching in my opinion. I have not gotten either one perfect yet.
I have used skin texture from one part of the skin and transfered it to another part of the skin on other images. I normally use healing brush fro under the eyes which to some extent gets rid of the texture of the skin. I then use healing bush again from a textured part of the skin and bring it back onto the area that is now textureless. This models has great pores on her skin so I did not do that here.
I do agree that the added texture gives a bit of dryness to her skin. Any ideas as how I can create a more moist texture?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2010, 08:59 AM

What do you guys do for under the eyes please?
I use healing brush, then bring in a little color using the regular brush set to skin color for dark circles. Am I on the right track here?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2010, 03:48 PM

Personally Fotogen I'm not a fan of the retouch you did, the model has near flawless skin, and there was no need to add the texture you did. Is there a way you can show the photo with just the healing and clone tools applied to it? I personally see only need for a bit of general scale D&B to be done on her face to clean some transitions of shadows, you can later via a gradient map layer set to color and 40% opacity get a more consistent tone for the skin and with a selective color (or whatever method you like) take a bit of red and yellow off the skin tone (I would recommend you to play with it a bit to see if it looks better or not).
Sometimes you have to judge when to do an overhaul to the skin and when it doesn't need it...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuervo79 View Post
Personally Fotogen I'm not a fan of the retouch you did, the model has near flawless skin, and there was no need to add the texture you did. Is there a way you can show the photo with just the healing and clone tools applied to it? I personally see only need for a bit of general scale D&B to be done on her face to clean some transitions of shadows, you can later via a gradient map layer set to color and 40% opacity get a more consistent tone for the skin and with a selective color (or whatever method you like) take a bit of red and yellow off the skin tone (I would recommend you to play with it a bit to see if it looks better or not).
Sometimes you have to judge when to do an overhaul to the skin and when it doesn't need it...
Totally agree that the model does have a very good skin with good pores. But the version without the added texture looks a bit too smooth. I will post that version tonight. The texture layer is on a separate layer so it is easy to turn it off and save the file. I will also try to even out the skin tones a bit using the Gradient Map method that you mentioned. Do I sample color from the skin for foreground before doing gradient map?

Thank you for your input
Hadi
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2010, 04:44 PM

the key here (I just learned this) is to leave the black and white colors, and then add the darkest colors of the skin and the lightest colors to each side. then play with the placing of the skin colors to see what leaves the best looking one. Its not perfect though sometimes you have to add a second layer of solid color set to the same characteristics to add or adjust a color that the gradient map isn't modifying enough
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching