RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

First Attempt at Greenberg Effect?

Old 02-13-2010, 12:49 PM

Re: First Attempt at Greenberg Effect?

the question goes to our joung friend "dmeadows! ;-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2010, 12:59 PM

Seriously this discussion is getting ridiculous. Everybody here uses plugins /effects even Flexmanta as he's mentioned repeatedly the use of the high pass filter for this or that.

Third party plugins are extra tools, and incorporating them judiciously in the processing of an image certainly does not mean one's pics are going to have a less personal style for that much.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2010, 01:03 PM

high pass is not a 3rd party plugin, and it's a filter that i don't use anymore cause it can't handle pure white or black.

3rd party plugins do things that you should know how to do without using plugins just for the sake of understanding all the tools provided with photoshop. I prefer to create curves, masks and selective adjustments than just moving a slider or using a preset, cause i want to know what im doing to my pixels. And to speed up the process, we already have actions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2010, 01:22 PM

i agree with flexmanta.
any 3rd party plug in uses the algorythm of photoshop. look at onone software and the nik filters. the only plug in i know is the lucis filter...that plugin has its own algorythm.
in this case i prefer what i can do with the filters out of the box.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2010, 01:23 PM

Don't play on words with saying the high pass is not a plugin, I know it is not a separate 8bf file but it is an effect nevertheless. Now you say you don't use it anymore so how are you going to do to retexture a skin without it should you need to? Pixel by pixel with the brush?

And FWIW there are plenty of plugins that let you know exactly what you doing to your pixels just like the built-in tools in PS.

There are plugins that do things you CANNOT do with PS only or that are more capable and/or convenient than the built-in tools. Ask me which ones and I'll give you some examples.

And using plugins does not necessarily mean not knowing how PS works or how to use its tools. This is a ridiculous generalization.

What's wrong with having more tools in the toolbox than just those PS provides? I am just not getting it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2010, 01:25 PM

The only plugins I use are high pass and gaussian blur to separate frequencies, everything else is done with adjustment layers, including curves for pixel D+B. I know what I'm doing, I think you might have mistaken what I'm saying here. You can't do a professional job with 3rd party plugins, and I do not want to see it happen. My worry is that it will.

Imagine what Portraiture will do in ten-fifteen years. Imagine even what Photoshop itself will do, CS5's content-aware healing already looks impressive. My point is that something that is technically possible now (and would take months) will eventually take the click of a button. It's inevitable.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2010, 01:27 PM

@secretagents,
you know that you can create exactly the same effect without the highpass filter?!
to use the hp is a faster way ;-)

Last edited by TimeActor; 02-13-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeadows View Post
My point is that something that is technically possible now (and would take months) will eventually take the click of a button. It's inevitable.
ok, but who wants to look at pictures with a one click plugin in the future?
those pics are dead - the only personality is the shot.

when this where possible in the future the good artists will create another style!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2010, 01:36 PM

Time Actor in the example I have posted above, the skin has this satined aspect you'll find in the greenberg pics and that is sorely missing from yours . Obtaining that satinated aspect was actually the only part of the processing for which I did not use third party plugins

As for what you say about the high pass I am not quite understanding what you exactly refer to. Do you mean that the high pass effect can be achieved by other means (starting with gaussian which is also an effect btw) or do you mean someting else?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2010, 01:37 PM

Secret agent, why the question? I didn't say i don't use high passes, i just said that i do not use the filter named high pass to do it, because it's not accurate, the filter itself. Maybe they'll fix it in the future...

Dmeadows, saying that a plugin will put light where there is none (turning flat lit images into JG style images), is like saying that a plugin will be able to draw your face from scratch without it having ever seen you before.

When i say that i don't use plugins i meant that i do not need any filter that didn't come with my photoshop. When you are considering not working as a freelancer anymore, and want to get a full time retoucher job, you just have to know PS, and work as if no 3rd party plugins ever existed. The day your boss asks you to fix some skin and you say, "uuuuuh, i can't do it without portraiture", that's the day they fire you.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching