RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

in progress photo

Old 02-14-2010, 08:23 AM

Re: in progress photo

No, no, that's not a raw file. The file inside of the zip is a .raw file that i assume you have saved with photoshop. What you need to send us is the file that the camera took, right off the memory card. It should have the extension .nef

Just send a full size JPEG.

Darling, don't take this in the wrong way, if you are doing this for a school project i suggest that you try and do something more basic. You can't to do what Loretta Lux does if you still have to learn the most basic basics.

Last edited by flexmanta; 02-14-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2010, 09:15 AM

ugh, nono, i have the raw file, its just that my ftp server somehow didn't overwrite the file i was uploading and kept the old file. I was just having some technical issues with my ftp server. Heres the nef, haha I promise this time.

http://badspade.com/images/lorettalux2.zip
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2010, 09:19 AM

Also, I am curious if by school you are referring to college level study, high school, or some other type of training. I am curious as to the criteria of the assignment as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2010, 09:41 AM

Here's my 10 min or so. I still think getting a usable head shot is going to be a challenge with this file.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lorettalux as Smart Object-1.jpg (77.8 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2010, 10:29 AM

It is college level study. The program is rather horrible I must say as they pretty much leave you to your own devices and cant answer half the questions I have, so Im trying to learn on my own. The assignment is to pick a photographer and try to get in their head, like where they shoot, backgrounds, poses, where the horizon line meets etc etc. My major is graphic design, so in this case what I am most interested in the technique she uses in her photo editing, trying to decode it best I can. I've been editing the red channels in light room 2, then bringing them into photoshop, making 4 b/w layers, 1 original, 1 luminosity,1 soft light, 1 screen, softening the skin and then merging them, making a color layer with b/w underneath and hand coloring it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2010, 10:53 AM

Ok, got the file... u ready for some loretta lux goodness? It'll be fun. Gimme some hours.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2010, 12:22 PM

I think this is all i can do with this image. What's left to do is to adjust colors a lot. The whole idea is to make it look pastel. Loretta's main deformation is making heads almost as wide as the body. If i ever decide to do a full time project based on Loretta's work, i will let you know, but normally, for a good result, these images would take a couple days.

ps: It's ok to manual focus only if you do it using live view zoomed at 100% and have good light.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lorettalux-copy.jpg (75.1 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2010, 12:43 PM

Wow... I hope that is a 400 level course, otherwise, that is a lesson in futility. It is one thing to have a tear file of images and photographers that speak to you, but it is on a whole other order to say "Go reproduce that".

So, as far as the retouching goes, she is NOT hand coloring. If she is, the artistry of the hand coloring goes far beyond her skill as a photographer (not that shes a bad photographer). I also say this because her work has got considerably better as you go through her "works" volumes on her website. The original desat techniques left the subjects looking waaaaayyyyyy to pasty for my liking. Her new stuff is much, much better.

Basically, it is looking like a lot of play in hue/saturation and contrast. It also looks like she has done some dodge and burn (mostly burn).

Here is try #2 on my part. The comp was quick and dirty as was the background. Lots of hue/sat play and some burning for skin tone and shadows. I think this one is much more accurate than my first (which now I think is an abomination ).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lorettalux as Smart Object-2.jpg (76.6 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexmanta View Post
ps: It's ok to manual focus only if you do it using live view zoomed at 100% and have good light.

This is true and gives really good results as well. I rarely think to mention it as it is only available on newer cameras and even then only on select bodies (the D70 not being one).

ps: I thought I would say that this exercise has been great fun. The work is about as far from my personal style as I think one can get and stay in a "post produced" looking image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2010, 02:24 PM

haha thanks. yeah, its a 4000 level course. Hopefully it will get better. I had to actually skip beginning just due to the fact that the university wouldnt let me take it since its not " upper level" Its ridiculous really.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching