RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Professional Retouching Secrets DVD by Karl Taylor

Old 06-14-2010, 09:55 PM

Re: Professional Retouching Secrets DVD by Karl Ta

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post
Quantum...always like feedback, but could you be more specific...thanks
Oh... well... The DVD shows Karl taking pictures of different types of scenes and giving just very few tips, which I don't personally find those useful at all. He mostly describes what is already obvious. For example, if I tell you "there are 3 trees there" you already are looking those trees, so it ¡s not need to mention that. The Landscape DVD is all in that way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2010, 11:23 PM

I have not seen any photography DVD, teaching all the technical stuff like Aperture, shutter speed, metering method focusing and flash settings for a particular scene, they just show taking pictures and never discuss any technical part i recently bought "Motivational Light DVD" but i was dispointed, but i do appreciate Zack Aries One Light DVD.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2010, 11:27 PM

Hey Quantum3 have you seen DVD's from Maser Photo Workshops seems good stuff for landscape photography.

http://masterphotodvd.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2010, 07:33 AM

That was an awesome review Caesium. Thanks heaps for taking the time to write that!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2010, 07:20 PM

ok Karl is a great photographer!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2010, 01:44 PM

I really like his lighting courses. They are practical and full of professional explanations and ideas. Good stuff to know if you want to get pro looking results.

Its amazing how many make comments on retouching DVDs...and have never seen it or tried it! Amazing banter!

I must say that I have not tried the Retouching DVD myself yet...but I have tried the lighting ones...and they are good quality with good content.

I do appreciate the ones who have tried it and commented...as well as the author coming in.

Many questions on the DVD...about who should buy it, what proficiency level it is produced for, and what subjects are covered in it, are clearly listed at his web site.

So im just another one who is commenting on the thread without having owned the thing. Bad Boy!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium View Post
Same as Game, I have recently dropped some cash in the department getting Calvin's, Natalia's, and Joel Grimes' vids. I will play with what I have for a while. =)
OHH you have training for a while to consume. I highly suggest your next purchase will be the Gry Garness DVD training.

just go it last month and I can't tell you how my retouching has improve after this one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2011, 01:06 PM

Question Re: Professional Retouching Secrets DVD by Karl Ta

I got the Karl Taylor retouching DVD and so far have watched the first half. Overall, I would give it a very positive review.

PROS-it's VERY straightforward, very clear and easy to understand, and even when he makes mistakes (he does a few times) you can sit there watching and the presentation is so straightforward that he catches the mistakes right along with you and corrects them. He also seems to simplify things very well and achieve excellent results in the end.

Here's what concerned me though: based on Caesium's earlier post I would probably place myself somewhere in the intermediate range of PS users. Karl Taylor's method is very simple for the additional reason that he constantly merges all the layers he's worked on down to one new layer which sits directly above the original background layer. When I was working as a professional product photography retoucher, this kind of thing was discouraged, because the client (my boss at the time) would want to go through and see all the changes I had made, turn different effects and layers on and off, and maybe decide to nix something that had been changed much earlier on while keeping everything else that had been done since.

It's clear to me from the DVD (as well as from reading up on Mr. Taylor himself) that he's first and foremost a photographer. I'm wondering if some of the pro retouchers can weigh in on this layers issue? I imagine that in the industry, the standard is to retain all the different layers with their changes, perhaps in groups...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2011, 01:24 PM

Anyone tried http://www.grygarness.com/dvds/beaut...uching-dvd.htm. How does it compare to Natalia's work? Gry also seems to produce e-books.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2012, 10:22 AM

Good stuff for those who want to learn.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching