RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Dry Skin, Help Please

Old 02-16-2010, 09:38 AM

Dry Skin, Help Please

I edited these images that I photographed. I really like the feel of them, but the skin looks dry. It is mostly due to my retouching. I added a embossed blurred noise layer as texture for the skin and I am not sure if that is what is causing it. Can you please help? I want the skin in these images to look more hydrated.

http://www.pbase.com/image/122011387/original
http://www.pbase.com/image/122011380/original

Look at the images on Gavin O'Neil's images, what kind of texturing is used here? Notice the skin looks really hydrated:

http://www.top-fashion-photographers...in-oneill.html

Any help, would be appreciated
Thank You
Hadi
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2010, 09:48 AM

Re: Dry Skin, Help Please

Water acts like a diffuse reflector for the incoming light. Therefore your skin lacks some shine (just compare your images to his).
You could try to add that using "Select"-"Color range", select the whites and fill them with white (use "Filter"-"Blur"-"Gaussian blur" to get rid of sharp transitions), eventually you'll have to change the blend mode to "Soft Light". You could also try doing the same with the blacks if the effect is still not enough.
Or use a selective color adjustment layer, decrease the blacks in the whites and paint it in selectively.

The best, but most labor-intensive way would be adding it via dodge & burn.

Good luck :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_W View Post
Water acts like a diffuse reflector for the incoming light. Therefore your skin lacks some shine (just compare your images to his).
You could try to add that using "Select"-"Color range", select the whites and fill them with white (use "Filter"-"Blur"-"Gaussian blur" to get rid of sharp transitions), eventually you'll have to change the blend mode to "Soft Light". You could also try doing the same with the blacks if the effect is still not enough.
Or use a selective color adjustment layer, decrease the blacks in the whites and paint it in selectively.

The best, but most labor-intensive way would be adding it via dodge & burn.

Good luck :-)
Der_W,

Thank you for your reply.
You do have a very good point. The more I sharpen the image, the dryer the skin gets. On your statement above, Are you saying that I should select the whites in the skin using color range tool, copy them into a new layer, then do a Gaussian blur on that layer?
If so, I know how to use color range, but how do I copy what has been selected by the tool into a new layer... Thank you so much again for your help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2010, 11:13 AM

Hadi, you select the color range on your final layer, while holding the selection add a new blank layer, fill the selection with white. As suggested a blur on the whites could be useful to avoid hard transitions. Hope this helps
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2010, 11:17 AM

That's what Amy Dresser said to be her only secret... the white on the color range selection. I love it, but this is one of those techniques were you need a second pair of eyes to tell you if you've gone to far.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2010, 11:31 AM

The skin on her images look moist?
I am so confused. To understand this please, when I go to "color range" tool, where on the skin do I click on, the whites? Then I copy the selection to a new layer and then do a blur on this new layer which only has the white parts of the skin, correct? Do I put this new blurred layer above the textured layer or below it? Do I even need the textured layer?
I am assuming this is different than doing the blur on the entire image and then doing a high pass in that it will look less "plasticy".

Thank You all for the help
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2010, 11:34 AM

I used to do the color selection thing, but even when you feather the edges, the transition is obvious.

Now, I duplicate the layer and blur the new layer with a surface blur set at 10 and 100. Then, I change it into a layer mask and fill with black (this makes it disappear). Then, I use a white, soft brush set at 30,30 to slowly bring it back only in the areas you want (highlights?). This will get the exact look you are going for.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2010, 11:36 AM

I guess where I am confused is that if I select the whites in the skin, why do I need to fill them in with white again and blur the filled layer? How is that different than just selecting the whites in the skin, copying them into a new layer and then blurring that layer.
Knowing that I am not a beginner in retouching, does anyone recommend a really good DVD that I can purchase where the end results are really good and realistic. A DVD that is truly worth the $250.00?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2010, 11:43 AM

BTW, I forgot to add, your images are fantastic.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slash-5 View Post
BTW, I forgot to add, your images are fantastic.
Thank you for your reply and compliments. I have to still get the skin right. The better you get at something, the more of a perfectionist you become and want to do more
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching