RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

how to get images for retouching?

Old 02-16-2010, 01:44 PM

Red face how to get images for retouching?

Hi all,
i'm don't work 100% as a photografer, but i love retouching, and i 've retouch'ed for like 4-5 years now...lately it's beauty/fasion that i consentrate on the most..
My problem is gtting photos for my retouching..since i don't produce the images it's really hard to come by...
i'm using mostly stock-photos, but for beauty/fasion..my workflow start with the raw-file..and not final pic calculated out of the raw..

Sometimes i just write emails to diff photografers asking if i can use images they don't use...(yes i got the balls to do that) ...sometimes i get some pictures..but hey...there is a reason wht they don't use em..so sometimes the images are..well, kinda hard to work with...

Anyone got any ideas how to get good raw-files for editing/retouching?...are there any for sale?....and so on...?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2010, 02:24 PM

Re: how to get images for retouching?

Some nice images (also RAWs) can be found here: http://www.modelmayhem.com/t.php?forum_id=76
Others are posted to the forums earlier, just search for "free RAW images".
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2010, 05:12 PM

Hi Steve,

My name is Ljupco Smokovski and I am a stock photographer. I can offer you any of my images to retouch and post them to your website or just retouch them so as long as provide me with the final retouched images.I can aslo offer you RAW files. Please have a look here: http://www.istockphoto.com/ljupco and check out my website to see what kind of images I can offer.

Regards, Ljupco

www.ljsphotographyonline.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2010, 06:01 PM

Join Model Mayhem (www.modelmayhem.com) as a "Photoshop Wizard" and just start asking photographers (not models) if they have any projects you could help with. You can build some really nice working relationships there and get a lot of skill practice. Often the photogs want to do their own post, but especially if you're decent they would really rather not spend the time for all the work especially for larger series.

I warn against asking models to help with images because a) they're flaky (I'm sorry, I know it's a stereotype but I've found it pretty true) ad b) they don't usually hold the copyright to their images.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2010, 12:43 PM

you can also get them through a stock house but there might be a fee for each image , or Creative Camera they are based in the UK and they sell focus magazine in which imagaes come along with tutorials .
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2010, 12:44 PM

Sorry I did not read all of your questions and replies.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2011, 10:15 PM

this is an awesome post, i needed to find pictures so badly and no other forum seems to be talking about it.

cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2011, 04:49 AM

Most photographers (myself included) get pretty protective of their images. Anyone who has worked in this industry for any length of time will have a load of horror stories about images being stolen, used without the photographers consent, even people claiming that they took the images themselves.

Having said that, I agree with the comments about Model Mayhem. If you offer your services on a trade for trade basis many photographers will be happy to work with you. You offer to retouch an image free of charge and you can both use the retouched image on your websites. Both parties benefit.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching