RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Challenge with printing

Old 02-17-2010, 05:32 PM

Challenge with printing

Hello, I have an Epson R1800, use Ilford Gallerie Smooth Pearl paper and have the correct profile from Ilford for the paper, prints are just not like the pretty picture on my monitor. I tried some other profiles but no luck. Does anyone have a magic trick. Getting very frustrated.
Thanks,
Libby
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Patron

Re: Challenge with printing

What type of color management are you using? In yoyr printer options, is the output set to "Printer Manages Color" or "Photoshop Manages color". Is your monitor calibrated?
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2010, 10:55 PM

Hello Murray,
Thank you for your reply. I am set to Photoshop manages color and using the profile from Ilford. Calibrated with the Pantone Huey.

Libby
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2010, 01:14 AM

have you tried to use the proof colors option in photoshop? so you can see what it will look like printed? sometimes there is a big difference from what you see on your monitor to what the printer can do.

To do the proof colors first you have to select View>proof setup>custom and then select the profile from ilford, and then select View>proof colors...

There you can see an aproximation of what your print will look like so you can adjust accordingly... I tried it with my printer profile and it looked pretty close to what was printed
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Patron

Libby, Printing on Epsons can be very tricky because their print drivers have so many setup options that it is extremely easy to forget to check or uncheck one. I have a number of Epson printers but not the 1800. However, if the setup is similar, then here are my suggestions.
- If you are using a custom profile (as you are) remember to use the Edit>Convert to Profile and convert the image from your working color space to the custom output profile before you print - otherwise your print will be way off.
- If you have selected "Photoshop Manages Color", be sure to go into the Custom Advanced / Custom settings of the Epson Page Setup window and check off "No Color Adjustment". If you leave on one of the previous settings like Color Control, Monitor, Photo Enhance, or sRGB these settings will usually override the Photoshop Manages Color setting (unless Epson chnage the driver you have on the 1800).
- Finally, as a sanity check to make sure your monitor is correct, run your eyedopper over a few areas and examine the color values to see if the RGB values match what your eye sees (neutral / grays, whites have approx equal values, etc). Examine the prints and try to determine if there is a color bias in those areas and what color that cast is. You can often reproduce the cast with a curve on the image.
You may need to run a print with one of the standard Color Pattern images.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2010, 07:04 PM

Thank you for caring, it is a challenge and on the other hand very rewarding. I tried your techniques and unfortunately I am not having good results. I can have prints done at my lab but I print my DVD covers for my wedding films. Maybe I should just go back to a cheapy and let it do the trick.

You have both been very kind. I am a little disappointed that there were not more responses. After checking other posts and seeing so many replys. I guess us little beginners are not as interesting.

You are both very special in my eyes and I would like to thank you.

Libby
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2010, 09:26 PM
Patron

Libby, there are probably not a lot of members of RetouchPro who feel comfortable offering advise on Printer problems. You will find no lack of comments on PS, retouching, image editing, etc. So I don't think your low response rate has anything to do with you being a beginner. Furthermore there are a great many reasons why your prints do not look like they should but you have not provided any information for people to analyze.
You might have more success on a hardware / printer forum like fixyourownprinter.com. However, they will also expect you to provide some information.
- Do you have a distinct color cast / bias in your printouts?
-Is it the same for all paper types
- are the results acceptable when you print on Epson paper
- Do you have the latest Epson driver installed for that printer
- What happens when you do not use a custom profile but just process the image in sRGB or AdobeRGB and print with output set to "Printer Manages Color
- Have you tried to compare the same print of the same image done on your printer and an outside Lab. How do the prints differ in Saturation / Vibrance, color accuracy / cast.
- Are you using genuine Epson Ink Cartridges or ink from some other supplier / refiller.
- Have you tried to print a B&W step-wedge pattern (21 shades of gray from black to white) and do you see a color cast.
- Have you tried to print a standard color test grid
Hopefully with enough info, someone will be able to offer good suggestions.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2010, 03:19 PM

Hi Libby,
I have an Epson 2880 and had a 2400 before that. I've never used a pre-made profile that I liked. Part of the problem is that no two printers are exactly alike. Try getting a custom profile made. I don't have a lot of experience with different profile companies, but I have used InkJetArt -
http://www.inkjetart.com/custom_profiles/

They do a really great job for $25.00, pretty cheap considering how much time, paper, and ink you save on test prints. Their guidelines for printing the test patches are quite strict, but that translates into a more accurate profile. Now, if I don't like the print it's because of something I missed or need to adjust with the file.

Just one more thing, don't judge a print right out of the printer. Wait at least an hour for the inks to 'settle'. Some papers, especially matte papers, can take almost 24 hours to see what they're finally going to look like. With a good custom profile you learn to just trust how the final image will look.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2010, 01:56 PM

i would suggest looking into the Russel brown tutorials on how to print, trying to figure out your problem through a forum is not an easy task
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2010, 02:44 AM

I used to buy and upgrade to the newest epson printers all the time. It was definitely a love hate relationship. One of the things I did was change my screen to match what came out of the printer and it seemed to do the trick. Print one with all the settings you think are right then hold up to screen and create a new profile with everything adjusted to "match." That is the cheap way out. I for one gave up printing my own stuff and now get everything printed at mpix.com the quality is out of this world, they are fast and cheap for large sizes.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching