RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Is it Toning? HighKey?

Old 02-19-2010, 01:41 PM

Re: Is it Toning? HighKey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch at large View Post
At the risk of confirming my ignorance, I tend to agree with Jerryb. The girl in front definitely looks pasted in to me, and not particularly well. The second reflection bothers me too, in that there's a difference in the skin tones on her arm.
It's possible that different areas of the picture got different color treatements without it meaning that the shot was composited. However, my theory is that the room is lit with a mixture of daylight (cool) and incandescent (warm), and her back is being more directly lit by the warmer incandescent overhead light, while her front is getting more mixed light.

Quote:
More telling to me though is that there is a soft edge in the second reflection where it meets the edge of the first mirror. Surely, that should be a hard edge, with the first mirror blocking our view of the second....?
Not sure what you mean by your last sentence, but that diffusion on the mirror looks more like a de-silvering of the mirror itself (I forget the exact term). I have old mirrors like that that show the same deterioration at the edges.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 01:49 PM

Photoshop pilpul
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 01:56 PM

I do understand your point, Flashtones, about the de-silvering on the edges of old mirrors. In this case though, that de-silvering would be occurring very much in the middle of the second mirror. If that's not the case, the hard edge of the first mirror should make a hard edge against the second, not a soft one. The girl in front still looks like a bad paste job to me, as well, with inconsistencies in the edges along her sweater and around her hair.

Of course, I've been wrong before, according to my ex-wife.... :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 01:58 PM

Dear Jerryb...

Focal distance is based on the distance that light travels to get to the camera. So it's the distance from the camera to the mirror plus the distance from the mirror to the thing(s) being reflected. The camera isn't capturing the surface of the mirror, it's capturing the light that's reflecting off of the surface of an object that is then reflected off of the surface of the mirror that is reaching the camera.

So if you're standing three meters from a mirror shooting a picture of your own reflection then you need to be focusing at six meters (as the light has to make a round trip -- from your camera's point of view, your reflection is three meters behind the mirror). If you focus on the mirror's glass, then your reflection is going to be three meters away from the focal plane of the image (and your reflection is probably not going to be way out of focus, unless you've got some very powerful strobes and an incredibly narrow aperture).

If everything shot in a mirror would be equally sharp then lots of photographers would be shooting everything in a mirror to get that overall sharp look (the easy Dave Hill effect) -- just by focusing on a mirror (imagine the people at Canon and Nikon who spend their careers trying to make autofocus systems that work kicking themselves for not thinking to use a mirror to focus everything). If only things were so simple. If it were the case, you'd be able to see from here to eternity in a mirror with perfect clarity. Physics is somehow more complex than that. A mirror is quite different from a painting or a poster on a wall.

You need to get out and shoot some pictures to test out theories like this. It's one of the first assignments you get in a photography course -- reflections -- comes right after exposure and depth of field. It's the kind of misunderstanding that could seriously undermine the effectiveness of your work on a real project.

Don't sweat it though. You are not the only person who is thinking like that. We all have a lot to learn. Luckily, we don't have to understand all the physics. But in retouching it actually helps to have an effective understanding of how reflections and shadows work. You can't fake them convincingly without spending some time observing them closely out in the in the real world.

Hope you are doing well. Take care. Alan.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 02:01 PM

HAHAHA... if the photographer was reading this post he would be laughing so hard "compositing? I just pressed the button on my camera!".

Guys, back to basics. Get a camera and learn the basics of optics and depth of field.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch at large View Post
I do understand your point, Flashtones, about the de-silvering on the edges of old mirrors. In this case though, that de-silvering would be occurring very much in the middle of the second mirror.
No, it it tends to happen near the edges, I guess it's an oxidation and the air gets in at the seams, or something like that.

Quote:
If that's not the case, the hard edge of the first mirror should make a hard edge against the second, not a soft one.
I'm having trouble to discern which mirrors and edges you mean, but because the focus is racked to the distance of the lens to the mirror PLUS the distance from the mirror back to her face, the near surfaces are out of focus and the far one's are in focus. See how the near blue beads are too close to be in focus, but their reflection in the far mirror, is in?

Quote:
The girl in front still looks like a bad paste job to me, as well, with inconsistencies in the edges along her sweater and around her hair.
I just don't see the inconsistencies. Look at the reflection, you see the red shirt turning orange in the lowered shoulder. The girl's right arm is at the exact same angle, as is the angle of her shoulders, and the styling of her hair.

Maybe I'm the one missing the point. What exactly do you think is composited, the girl in the foreground, her reflection, or both?

In any case, sure seems like a lot of work to get a snapshot feel that would be just as easy to get with a snapshot.

But I'll stop arguing about it, I don't know either.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 06:47 PM

i think it's pure openwide aperture shot..
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2010, 05:12 PM

Lightroom is the answer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2010, 02:40 AM

Precisely vibrance, exposure, fill light, a little clarity and then combining it in PS.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching