RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Is it Toning? HighKey?

Old 02-19-2010, 03:14 AM

Is it Toning? HighKey?

Hello everybody.
I would appreciate any ideas on how the effect in this image is reached.
Is it toning, highkey? And such clear colors.

http://www.tinyurl.pl?gLSJby4O
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 04:50 AM

Re: Is it Toning? HighKey?

? It's plain photography, no effects there. He just made some decisions when processing the RAW (maybe camera profile, some contrast here and there...).
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 09:56 AM

hi,
it always difficult to determine what else did... smiling...

I probably out in left field,, just novice, but I believe there was a fair amount of editing that took place...
1. looking at the mirror. the girl is sharp but the case , chair, window, curtain should normally be sharp but it all blurred.soften so to me either the bluring tool or some other tool to achieve the same effect oh they probably masked her and then apply the bluring/softening effect .
2. looking at the girl that looking at the mirror... i think what they did here was change the tonal quality of her , her shirt is almost a orange where in the mirror it a nice red looking at the channels it to me is really obvious... , also the hair there a fair amount of color there. compared to the the girl in the mirror....

3. in fact on the firl in the mirror ia m wondering if they just copy and pasted here from another shot... into the mirror..

like i said just novice and might be in left filed.. smiling
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryb View Post
looking at the mirror. the girl is sharp but the case , chair, window, curtain should normally be sharp
Huh? Why would you expect this? Everything in this photo that should be in focus is, and everything that shouldn't be isn't. It didn't take any manipulation to achieve this.

Why do people think everything is Photoshop? Sometimes a photograph is just a photograph.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 11:40 AM

hi,
first of all I don't believe everything is photoshopped, although an awfull lot of stuff out there is... smiling... and there many i can't tell the difference... more than once on here i thought something was real but others was able to see that it was photoshoppped...

why do i expect ? because with a mirror everything in that flat mirror should be the same degree of sharpness.. that the reall world, that the physics!!! for one object in the mirror to be sharp and the rest of the background in the mirror to be blur/soften leads me to believe that it been edited... it been edited in order enhanse the sharpness and clairty of the gal in order to draw your eyes to the gal!! that a common technique , keep the central object sharp and back ground fuzzy/blurry/soft...

now grant you they could have taken real pictures.. ie: taken a out focus picture and then bring in the gal and take another picture but with things in focus and then just photoshop and composit the 2 pictures!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkcoats View Post
Huh? Why would you expect this? Everything in this photo that should be in focus is, and everything that shouldn't be isn't. It didn't take any manipulation to achieve this.

Why do people think everything is Photoshop? Sometimes a photograph is just a photograph.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
why do i expect ? because with a mirror everything in that flat mirror should be the same degree of sharpness.. that the reall world, that the physics!!!
No, it doesn't work that way, you actually have to focus "through" the mirror. They're using an open aperture for shallow depth of focus. To get that curtain (seen in the mirror) in focus you'd have to rack the focus out and actually focus farther out, you can't just focus on the plane of the mirror and exepect everything in it's view to be sharp.

In this case, they are using an aperture that gives them roughly 12-18" of focus. By focusing on the reflection of the mirror that is about 12-18" from the mirror, the depth of focus just coincidentally includes some of the mirror frame. But if their aperture only allowed 5" of focus, even the mirror frame would be out of focus, and she in the foreground, and the curtain in the background, would be even less in focus.

I'm not doing a good job of explaining this, but the distances covered through the mirror are real. If you stand 18" in front ofa mirror with a camera and want a sharp self portrait in the mirror, you don't focus the lens18"in front of you(to the mirror surface) you set it 36" to cover the distance to the mirror and then 18" back to your reflection.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
because with a mirror everything in that flat mirror should be the same degree of sharpness.. that the reall world, that the physics!!!

That is very very wrong.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 01:23 PM

hi,
your forgetting one thing... in the mirror the girl, the background curtains and desks etc... are all the same distance from the camera hense the same degree of sharpenss!!! yes there is a little angle but not that much to make a effect.... plus if you look at the left side of the the girl in the mirror if what you say was tru that part should at least be sharpas her, not the same degree of fuzziness as on the other side of the mirror...

other things about the image vertical lines... both mirrors are at different angles,,, the mirrors in relation to the doors are odd.... i am not saying there false but suspcious... could be just a poor camera angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
No, it doesn't work that way, you actually have to focus "through" the mirror. They're using an open aperture for shallow depth of focus. To get that curtain (seen in the mirror) in focus you'd have to rack the focus out and actually focus farther out, you can't just focus on the plane of the mirror and exepect everything in it's view to be sharp.

In this case, they are using an aperture that gives them roughly 12-18" of focus. By focusing on the reflection of the mirror that is about 12-18" from the mirror, the depth of focus just coincidentally includes some of the mirror frame. But if their aperture only allowed 5" of focus, even the mirror frame would be out of focus, and she in the foreground, and the curtain in the background, would be even less in focus.

I'm not doing a good job of explaining this, but the distances covered through the mirror are real. If you stand 18" in front ofa mirror with a camera and want a sharp self portrait in the mirror, you don't focus the lens18"in front of you(to the mirror surface) you set it 36" to cover the distance to the mirror and then 18" back to your reflection.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 01:24 PM

At the risk of confirming my ignorance, I tend to agree with Jerryb. The girl in front definitely looks pasted in to me, and not particularly well. The second reflection bothers me too, in that there's a difference in the skin tones on her arm. More telling to me though is that there is a soft edge in the second reflection where it meets the edge of the first mirror. Surely, that should be a hard edge, with the first mirror blocking our view of the second....?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
hi,
your forgetting one thing... in the mirror the girl, the background curtains and desks etc... are all the same distance from the camera
Huh??? You think she and the curtains are the same distance from the mirror?

It's really not worth going further until we can agree on the basics.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching