Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

post processing

Old 02-19-2010, 09:48 AM
post processing

Hi Folks
'We feel the image would have more value to designers with minimal or no post processing effects so that the designers could add their own post-processing effects.'

This is the judgement I got from my Agent about an image I sent him.
I can really understand what he's saying, on the other hands I can't avoid to enhance the image.
Could you tell me which are the tools you believe more useful, therefore less recognizable or undetectable?

layers: yes, no?
overlay: yes, no?
surface blur: yes, no?

I know that this is a difficult question and naive, mostly depends on personal appreciation, but because this is the only Forum I trust to, the only Forum where I can discuss with Masters (once I had an answer from the 'wizard' Chris Tarantino, which is honestly a great chance). So I'm sure that I'll get good suggestions anyway.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 10:40 AM
Re: post processing

Originally Posted by jarulex View Post
[...] on the other hands I can't avoid to enhance the image. [...]
Why not?
If they want un-PP'd images why not give 'm what they want? Copyright stays the same.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 03:11 PM

Hi, jarulex.

I believe that if they want un-processed image, just provide them with one. It depends on what you are retouching. But mostly it is general levels, healing, liquifying, d&b, some minor color corrections. This is all that takes most time. Don't use blur, or at lease use it wisely.

Best regards,
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 04:31 PM

I'll give a dissenting opinion and say that you should never give a client an unprocessed image unless you have a relationship with the retoucher they use. If they do a crappy half ass job, or apply some cheesy effect, then that reflects badly on YOU. If PP is a major part of your creative work, then you should do it yourself, or work with someone you know, trust, and have similar tastes.

You're being hired for your creative vision, so you should always have control over your product.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 06:45 PM

Jarulex, they say that when they don't like what you did.

It's important as a retoucher to know where the retouching ends and the design begins. Just fix the photo, don't give it any effects. Just do pure retouch: skin, hair, eyes... and for the love of god, don't use blur. If you are sending out photos with blurred skin and they happen to work with trained designers/retouchers, they will not say good things about you.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching