RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

facial retouch question

Old 02-21-2010, 06:38 PM

Re: facial retouch question

forget it, you are not following me and nor do i really care. continue doing what you do, it must be working for you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2010, 10:33 PM

Don't both these approaches really argue for liquifying at the end?

Otherwise, any redo of the liquify layer, whether merged or not with the healing layer, will be out of alignment with all the D&B and layer masks above.

But if done last, on a topmost merged layer, everything that would otherwise be "above" is contained within. You could do an infinite variety of liquifications and none would require redoing any below layers (previously "above" layers) to fit.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2010, 04:20 AM

Flashtones, yeah, you are right, if any adjustment that you made depends on anything selective through pixel masks, any re-liquifying of one layer will dis-align the masks.

What you say is not a bad idea at all, do all the retouching first, and only at the end do the liquifying.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2010, 07:23 AM

point 2 is the best option in case you need to remove some of the healling. Sometimes you may remove something that the client don't want to be removed, so doing the cleaning in a separate layer allows you to "redo" your adjustments. Option 2 is nice when you start working with a new client.

The quality is the same in both points.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2010, 02:50 PM

I think Flex nailed it when he spoke of gaining the confidence to know what you can get away with. There are a lot of "rules" out there, but ultimately it's an intuitive process. You always bring a variety of techniques to the table, but you don't always know in advance which ones you'll end up using, or in what order. Seattle-light's suggestion to liquify, save the mesh, then undo and continue with the rest of the process seems as reasonable as any, allowing you to insert the liquifying at any point along the way, even the very end.

My own workflow sometimes requires using the healing brush at multiple points in the process. If I have a pile of layers underneath, it's often simpler to merge to a new layer and set the tool to Current Layer Only just to keep things snappy.

As Dan Margulis would often say, "It all depends."
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2010, 04:03 PM

LOL, this ends up more in what you like than "what's right" I had this conversation with Flex a while ago and we ended the same way, he likes method one I like method two. The funny thing is, it works for both of us, each take the limitations of the two workflows and have adapted to them. For example I don't use method 1 because I don't use the patch tool, but when I do I make a duplicate of the layer use the patch where I want it and then to save space, cut out everything that didn't have the patch tool applied to it.

In the end its what works for you, there are no "this is the right way" specially in photoshop, where you can literally reach one result with 5 different methods...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2010, 04:08 PM

Haha, Cuervo, there is one difference though. See, i used to like your way, and now i like this other way. Call it evolution! ))))
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2010, 04:18 PM

lol, I will call it evolution when you can have proof that it actually works better. if not its just because you like it better.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching