RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

masks vs paths

Old 02-22-2010, 05:02 PM

Re: masks vs paths

Hello, my first post too! In indesign you could pull in an image that had been masked and had background deleted, but being given a clipping path would leave more options as to having parts of the subject busting out of a frame.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuervo79 View Post
you can always convert a path to a selection and make a mask out of it.
So YOU'RE the guy who does this. Ah ha!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
Hello, my first post too! In indesign you could pull in an image that had been masked and had background deleted, but being given a clipping path would leave more options as to having parts of the subject busting out of a frame.
Could be a layer labeled "soft head silo", or "elbow pop out".
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2010, 05:11 PM

oh yeah, true.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2010, 05:41 PM

lol, right....
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2010, 05:46 PM

Just make a layered PSD, in inDesign you can import the same image as different layers/layer comps and do all sorts of fun stuff. Clipping masks are very Quark.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2010, 11:00 PM

For precise shapes with clean curves, paths beat masks for precision. But for anything with Depth of Field, like most photographs, where edges move in and out of focus, paths are useless.

As for understanding In Design, I'm still beating my head against the wall trying to teach the mechanical folks at my agency that they can import layers separately, set the shadows to multiply in In Design, and, no, I don't need to make ten different comps in Photoshop. Old habits die hard. The ghost of Quark lives on.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2010, 11:15 PM

I want to point out, that the Photoshop way of paths isn't ecactly the most efficient way. Did you ever look at Fireworks (formerly owned by Macromedia, now Adobe too)?

Well that program unfortunately is merely situable for web design graphiic work, but it has a huge advantage regarding PHATS versus bitmaps.

In Fireworks you have a kind of hybride vector / pixelmap solution which is absolutely great and enormously powerful! Paths are rendered in REALTIME to internal pixelmaps and you even can apply usual Photoshop plugins and typical Photoshop layer blendings to it!

Phats are there completely none-destructive and (unlike Photoshop) do not require large file data.

In Photoshop nearly all is rendered to pixelmaps, which actually blows up the file sizes enormously and also often results in definately destructive workflow. It's in other words: inefficiently as hell. I'll call that a misconception!

I whished Adobe would look somehow closer at the Fireworks way and overhaul their entire use (and sense) of paths in Photoshop. I personally regularily drive crazy when using paths in Photoshop.

Even in retouching using paths could be a very efficient way.
For instance I would actually use it to create makeup overlay and "light & shadow" and lighting techniques for skulpting/modeling and many others based on realtime rendered smooth editable vector shapes including all kind of effects, like in Fireworks.

Hell, I rescently even used Fireworks after Photoshop to apply certain changeble and nonedestuctive changes to an image because I was not able to achieve something closely similar in Photoshop !!! ...

Jason

Last edited by _jason_; 02-26-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2010, 11:58 PM

PS: For webdesign I never even would touch Photoshop at all.
I use Fireworks since the very first version for all web design work. Because it is miles more efficient and powerful than Photoshop for that.

Adobe even designed a clone of that very popular concept developed by Macromedia at that time, but they actually discontinued the way shortly after trying that (Adobe ImageReady was the name if I remenber right). Seemed the same thing as with "Adobe GoLive" as the intented competitor to Macromedia Dreamweaver... A complete disaaaster!

The Macromedia programs were always extraorbitant better and more intuitively to use. Noone could actually beat that!

I was *shocked* when I heared that Macromedia was bought by Adobe, because I feared (and I still fear) they will destroy the intuitivity and smart concepts behind those programs and adopt their incredible baroque Photoshop/Acrobat/InDesign and whatever other interfaces and inefficient concepts to them ... God beware us.

Fortunately, up to now, the contradiction has occured. The Macromedia User interface concepts were adapted to all the Adobe programs. That was a huge step forward, Adobe!

BUT remember: Macromedia Freehand (the state of the art competitor to Adobe Illustrator) was discontinued by Adobe and thus some very smart technologies and concepts killed !!! I fear Macromedia/Adobe Director will be the next...

Thanks Macromedia! You guys are so great!

(That's in fact the only reason why I use Adobe programs today, I was formerly a customer of the *complete* Macromedia product lines ...)

Jason

Last edited by _jason_; 02-27-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2010, 07:13 AM

One minute we were talking about InDesign and the next, my head hurts.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching