RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

masks vs paths

Old 03-04-2010, 06:09 PM

Re: masks vs paths

I btw pretty much always use paths to cut stuff out. Then turn the selection into a quickmask and blur/paint where needed. Don't know why, but I for some reason love the path tool. Anywho, anyone who says that you can't use paths for soft selections is wrong. Feather/refine selection/quickmask gives you a lot of flexability in blurring/softening your mask, yet you still get the nice lines/curves you get with a path.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSoulglo View Post
I btw pretty much always use paths to cut stuff out. Then turn the selection into a quickmask and blur/paint where needed. Don't know why, but I for some reason love the path tool. Anywho, anyone who says that you can't use paths for soft selections is wrong. Feather/refine selection/quickmask gives you a lot of flexability in blurring/softening your mask, yet you still get the nice lines/curves you get with a path.
I couldn't agree more.

--shift studio.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2010, 03:54 PM

To solve the dilemma of the agency people being resistant to importing PSDs into InDesign, I did it for them and sent an InDesign Doc and the PSDs for them to copy into their documents. I did this a few times until they were shamed into figuring it out for themselves. This is a method I've used many times over years to drag those kicking and screaming into advances in technology. Action is always more effective than talk!

And I repeat what's been said several times in the thread...Masks and Paths are both useful tools. Their functions overlap a bit, yet they serve a multitude of different functions!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2010, 04:19 PM

I have been working in PrePress for over 20 years, I use masks. Even back in the Quark days (quark files are pretty rare for the past couple of years) we used to just build the files in photoshop, save as a tif and then import it already assembled into it's background, with the products in the foreground etc. But with InDesign (thankfully Adobe finally got it right, unlike it's failed pagemaker attempt back in the day) I don't even flatten my PSD's anymore, I just bring in the image with Transparent background and assemble everything in InDesign. So much easier that way.

I work with people that use clipping paths as opposed to masks, but when I ask them why they prefer them it seems it's mostly an old school habit used to preserve server space back in the time when gigabytes of storage were thousands of dollars and backups were done on Syquest drives. If the image was too big for the backup disk it had to be compressed and then split into multiple parts. LOL!

Don't get me wrong, if it's just a picture of a TV, or a camera, or some other hard edged product, I will use a clipping path as it's all hard edges anyway and they are fast enough to make, but on fashion and beauty, especially around the hair, it's nearly impossible to get a perfect silo using paths.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2010, 04:28 PM

This is not directed at the OP, but in a general sense. Some people confuse the pen tool with paths, or, exclude the pen tool when talking about masks. But like DJSoulglo, I regularly use the pen tool for making selections that become masks, then adjusting the edges of the masks as necessary with all tools available.

No one should deny themselves the functionality of the pen tool just because they prefer masks over paths. The pen is simply one more tool in making the perfect selections/masks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2010, 04:19 AM

Hello maryjane,
In reply to your question, most if not all editorial staff using In-design do indeed use paths for text run-around as you know. With regards to paths in Psd/Tiff files , I prefer to use this method I leave the clients path well alone but use it to create an Alpha channel and brush a soft edge. Then dupe the picture box in In-Design (paste into new layer) - import image – check import options – Alpha channel tab – select your image.

Make sure the Clipping path options are set to NONE and text wrap is off, but only for the duped image as the image below may have text run-around. I find working this way you can lock all the clients layers
minimising the chances of text reflow. I hope this helps
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2010, 08:48 AM

Thank you everyone for contributing to this discussion. I'm still talking about it with fellow creatives outside this forum. I hope that we can all take bits and pieces of what has been mentioned here and test them out. You may be surprised and eve be tempted to start making a shift in your current methods.

There are endless images being created and executed by us and as we surely are aware, each has its unique needs and boundaries. There's the image of a model with wild hair and the image of a cereal box that need to be selected from the background. I still choose to take my time and effort to create a mask my hand/painting it in rather than using a path. I know my skills of masking are precise enough to lift that box without having a jagged edge or looking phony. I have seen many ugly cut out images on magazine covers that make me cringe. But I just have a different opinion of quality than the editor of that magazine. Blah blah blah.

Play, explore, ,masking can take time to master. I've recently watched a decent retoucher used to making paths struggle to create a mask by painting it in. She had to practice her new skill. Patience, if you've got it. If you're a good retoucher, you've got heaps of patience.

Happy deep etching everyone!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2010, 01:34 PM

Hi maryjane

I am sorry I have no idea what your taking about or maybe it's just me?

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2010, 03:33 PM

i have given up on using images with placed paths in indesign or for the latest quark for that matter. transparent psds is the way forward. you've got way more control over edge sharpness over the total image. as different edges on an image have differing depths of focus and with masking you are able to control this which allows you to get a more realistic cut out...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching