RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Unartificial me...

Old 02-28-2010, 12:03 AM

Unartificial me...

...this cound be an interesting experience...

Tweaked bit around with Poser. Think the overall expression is pretty good and there is a really wide range of possibilities there. But it looks way too artificial (especially in detail). The smaller the image is the more real it looks... I am wondrering whether it is possible to make that more real...

...kind of "inverse retouching"...

The high res version is here:
Artificial high resolution image (814kb)

ps: I intentionally shifted the symmetry (eyes, mouth) to certain amount.

Have fun!
Jason
Attached Images
File Type: jpg artificial_low.jpg (44.3 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by _jason_; 02-28-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2010, 05:43 AM

Re: Unartificial me...

wouldn't it be better to texturize it in zbrush?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2010, 07:51 PM

Unfortunally ZBrush does not integrate into Poser.
You would lost quite alot of features, if you export a Poser figure to other formats, then using ZBrush... I think at least... (But please correct me if I'm wrong.)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2010, 08:21 PM

Because it's keeping facinating me anyhow, I took a closer look at the texturizing technology of Poser (using actual version 8 , do not have the Poser Pro Plugins for other 3D programs).

I created the face with Posers "Face Room" based on the "James" charakter. (I still prefer James which is available since version 6 of Poser, because I think this figure still has the best (pleasing) male morphology. Even if there are newer generations of characters available in the latest versions, I find those looking just more artificial and uninteresting.)

James comes with an expressive original texture, but as soon you tweak something in the face room heaviely to achieve different kind of types, you'll end up with very low resolution skin textures that look artificial.

In the attachment you'll see a screenshot of James original texture and the tweaked texture I finally "generated" with the face room.

At first is noticeble, that faceroom creates very low resolutions of face maps by default (those are merely 512 x 512 pixels and additionally shrinking original size afterwards to half width. Many things simply are painted on or morphed from other low resolution skin textures onto the map surface. Well, giving you much freedom for face generation on the good side, that's finally the reason, why it looks artificial on the bad side.

So if you want to improve the things with Poser, you probably have to create your own high quality textures and bump maps on base of the James original texture and feed Poser with that (per importing then, after you tweeked the basics as you need). Imported face room textures can have up to 4096 x 4096 pixels. this should be enougth to achieve more realistic texturizing.

This requires, that you puzzle arround with real photographs to create such a specialized texture map. (Yes, you can import your own pictures in Poser to generate those skin maps, but those are also too much reduced in resolution finally - could not feature out wow to keep higher resolutions on importing and testing some images).

But it's all definately very interesting even for retouching work, I think!
Many interchanging aspects there (pre processing and post processing)...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg james_texture.jpg (41.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg my_texture.jpg (24.6 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by _jason_; 02-28-2010 at 08:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching