RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Having issue with files in CS4 any suggestions?

Old 03-02-2010, 12:44 PM

Re: Having issue with files in CS4 any suggestions

Im checking into it further right now, im going to try opening the same file up on my macbook pro and bring it into photoshop. On my main computer, im viewing this on dual 23 inch cinmea displays that are calibrated with an eye one and run off a ATI Raedon x1900 video card. none the less, i dont think its a hardware issue, since the image displays fine in the raw converter, and will display fine in cs4 with the monitor desat turned on. im exporting from raw with either adobe 1998 or pro photo color space as a tiff. i have my color settings set to pro photo in cs4 along with the other settings correct, there are no profile mismatches etc. so i just cannot figure out what is going on here
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Patron

No, the reason I am seeing that profile is because Photoshop on your PC has saved both of those .png images that you uploaded with your custom Monitor profile. With png files, PS does not give you any option - it saves the profile that is currently your working space. That means you are not in a standard color workspace (which you should be). That means that when PS imported the file from Camera RAW it assumed the colors were in the custom Monitor workspace AND it therefore it displayed the colors differently from the way they appeared in Camera RAW.
By checking the Desaturate Monitor checkbox you are reducing the monitor saturation and therefore the image will look different when you edit. You might want to check out the Color Management Tutorials here:
http://www.computer-darkroom.com
Regards, Murray

Last edited by mistermonday; 03-02-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2010, 12:48 PM

wait , i understand what you are saying, but those images that i am showing you are not saved from photoshop, they are open in either photoshop or the rawe converter, and all im doing is a screen grab on my mac, which saves it as a .png i guess. thats what i uploaded to flikr and what you are seeing. my working profiles are pro photo when in the program, so im not mis managing color profiles
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2010, 12:53 PM

Right, it is the OS that is saving screen grabs, not PS, and the monitor profile will be attached.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2010, 02:17 PM

Ok, I think I have nailed it. First thank all of you for the help. I reverse engineered the problem here.

The problem is Pro Photo color space. Sonnofabitch!

If I set my output settings in lightroom, acr, or capture one to process the file as either 8 or 16 bit tiff at 300 dpi, and set the color space as pro photo. Once they open in photoshop in profoto, zoom in to the areas to see the blocked up detail and weird shifts. Go back out to the raw converter, leave everything the same, but change the profile on export to adobe 1998, and bring it into photoshop again, those same areas that looked like crap, are now fine.

SO I guess the moral is, despite that everyone is touting pro photo as the widest, best biggest color space to work in, it really is useless if your devices cannot take advantage of it and are interpolating a good deal of information to get them to display properly.

So there it is, problem solved, work in adobe 1998 and there is no issues. phew
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2010, 02:27 PM

Heres some pudding. YOu can really taste the proof ;-)

heres the same file screen grab

start with pro photo look at the gradation

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2788/...d824a6f1_o.png

heres the same image but in adobe 1998 both 8 and 16 bit

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4057/...f6d98458_o.png

16 bit adobe 1998

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2692/...4ddaf143_o.png

mind you these are screen grabs right from photoshop screen zoomed in to 400%
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2010, 02:48 PM

Good sluething, but I thought you originally said it was occurring in all colorspaces?

Supposedly if you're work is mostly in soft tonal gradations and low saturation (as that area is) you're even better off in a smaller colorspace like sRGB or Colormatch. Otherwise all those close tonalities can spread further apart in the larger colorspace. The example Andrew Rodney gives is taking a marker and putting dots on a balloon then inflating it. The larger the volume the farther apart the dots (tones) will spread

But a lot of this is very esoteric and beyond me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2010, 02:51 PM

No my mistake, I wasnt even paying atttention to which color space i was finding it in. I had noticed it on this image when working in pro photo though, and after banging my head on the wall finally figured out what was going on. Just something to keep in mind since so many people are touting pro photo as the new hot way to work. It actually hindered me in this situation
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2010, 02:56 PM

I work in aRGB. I don't like that much saturation in the first place, and you don't know what you're working with cuz you can't see it. When output devices can match prophoto I'll convert my layered Tiff from aRGB to ProPhoto, reopen the Raw via smart object, and render again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
I work in aRGB. I don't like that much saturation in the first place, and you don't know what you're working with cuz you can't see it. When output devices can match prophoto I'll convert my layered Tiff from aRGB to ProPhoto, reopen the Raw via smart object, and render again.
The output device doesn’t have to be as large as ProPhoto RGB (which will never happen for reasons we can discuss). The working space has to be large enough to contain colors you did capture and can output and today, Adobe RGB isn’t large enough to do this job for many devices (sRGB way more so). See: http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdf...p_colspace.pdf
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching