RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Having issue with files in CS4 any suggestions?

Old 03-02-2010, 09:20 AM

Having issue with files in CS4 any suggestions?

Hi I am having an issue with my files when im converting them from my raw converter to cs4. it doesnt seem to matter if im using dpp, lightroom2, or capture one 4. The files look fine in the raw converter, I do my primary adjustments, and can zoom in and all looks fine. when i export them to photoshop, as either 8 or 16 bit tiffs in either adobe 1998 or profoto color space at 300 dpi, and they open in photoshop and i zoom into the same areas of the image at 100% or greater, the detail is lost the gradations gets blocked up and it looks like crap. Does anyone have any ideas of what might be happening? here is an example, notice the transistion to the shadow from light to dark.

this first one is a screen grab from the raw converter
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/...abf77c05_o.png

this is in cs4 same photo
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4057/...bacd16fe_o.png
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2010, 09:32 AM

Re: Having issue with files in CS4 any suggestions

heres two more areas from the same file. Im really stumped here. It is like when the raw gets converted there is a huge loss occurring. Like I said, my settings are exporting as TIFF, it makes no diff if its an 8 or 16 bit. Ive tried both, Ive tried different color spaces too. and the output resolution is 300 dpi. But once it get into photoshop, it just looses the detail and tones in these areas.

these two examples are of the ground, notice the detail in the dirt and gravel gets all blocky looking

in raw
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/...35d88c43_o.png

in cs4

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4060/...b51b1c42_o.png
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2010, 10:01 AM

I really have no idea, but since it's happening with all these applications perhaps it's in the conversion end of things. Go into PS Edit>Color Settings, make sure More Options is open, and try some different conversion options (ie, Engine, Intent, BPC, Dither, etc). I forget if a PS restart is necessary after changes.

I doubt that'll do it, but nothing to lose...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2010, 10:07 AM

yeah thats what im playing with now, so far nothings different. im really frustrated, theres has got to be something im missing. has anyone noticed anythign like that? ever really zoom way in after you render the raw and see a shift?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2010, 10:19 AM
Patron

In areas of the shift (the after images) the R & G values have been shifted upward while the B values have not been changed. These shifts appear to be a result of conversions from one color space to another without the proper use of Color Management. I notice your files are tagged with a custom embedded profile called Monitor_12_17_09_1. What type of color management are you using? In Edit>Color Settings, what are your Profile Mismatches and Missing Profiles warnings set to? The issue is that Camera RAW only offers you 4 color space profiles for conversion into PS and your custom monitor profile is not one of them. If you have the profile mismatch flag disabled or you are not making the right choice when presented with the warning, PS will assume that the file being imported is in the custom profile and will change your color values. The color differences between your png1 and 2 are very typical of the changes one would expect in those image areas.
Regards, Murray

Last edited by mistermonday; 03-02-2010 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Typo corrected
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2010, 12:10 PM

I think the reason you see the monitor prfile is becaseu those are screen grabs out of each respective program. I have been playing around with my color settings trying to figure this out. I have found something interesting. Under the color settings in cs4, if i have the image opened and zoomed in to where im seeing the issues in the color, gradations, and detail, if I check the 'desaturate monitor colors by %' the image clears up and the problem goes away. it seems that most peoepl recommend leaving the option unchecked, but what im seeing with that unchecked is the issue, with it turned on, the problem clears up. Im just concerned am i introducing other issues down the line (For web view, and print) by having the monitor desaturation turned on?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2010, 12:15 PM

here check this out heres a screen grab with the color settings open, look at the gradation on the tailpipe to the left of the dialog box.

in the first one the monitor desat is off , and the gradation is blocked up and not smooth
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4006/...0a2e7856_b.jpg

in this second one same image, nothing changed expect monitor desat setting turned on, notice how smoother it is

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2727/...4d5e19b6_b.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2010, 12:32 PM

Can you do printouts to see if it's showing up in print, or set up another monitor? It's possible it could have something to do with monitor profiles and your graphics card. For instance, I'm told Lightroom has issues with LUT based profiles and prefers Matrix profiles.

Point being, see if you can rule out it being a display issue.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2010, 12:36 PM

Also, try to take control of the colorspace conversion. For instance, LR uses a space close to ProPhoto, so do your RAW conversion there and bring it into Adobe in ProPhoto space, then play around in assign and convert to profile and see what different profiles do. See if you can get a better result manually.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2010, 12:38 PM

You might also want to post this on the color management forums of Adobe or Luminous Landscape.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching