RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

the beginning (color profile)

Old 03-03-2010, 11:59 AM

Lightbulb the beginning (color profile)

hello.

how ru doin?
as uc im new here, im amateur retoucher and came here to become a pro

all questions in time, but now out of curiosity i wanna ask a question about the beginning.

1. which raw converters do u guys (pros) use?
2. in what profile do u do your retouching?
after a long searching a was stuck to prophoto, but a friend of mine (photographer/retoucher) convinced me to switch to adobergb. i still believe that prophoto's wider gamut affect your picture and you can go further with curves (for example).
3. when u open your picture in photoshop, what technique do u use to set correct WB?
if i remember correctly chris orwig in his tutorials was teaching how to do it using a threshold layer. im using this technique but i was always not sure about correct wb.
4. how do u correct skintone? chris orwig (i still believe) in the same tutorial was explaining what CMYK numbers to use for white and black skin. how a healthy skintone should look like?

i'm very curious what do u do guys in the beginning, how do u prepare your picture for your main work - retouching.
or maybe u correct wb and skintone at the end of all your work?

5. now, i should be ready to retouch.

thanks for opinion and sharing experience of all of u.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2010, 02:29 PM

Re: the beginning (color profile)

Hi,

Bit OT but as it says you are from London, why not clean up the english and making it easier to read? Moving on...

1 - I do my RAW conversion in Camera RAW where I try to max out my file giving me as much as possible to work with when in photoshop.

2 - ProPhoto is a larger colorspace, but as no screen I know of can show the whole thing I still like working with Adobe RGB. You can see the difference reviewing them with ColorThink. ProPhoto contains some color the eye cant even see.

Thought I'd add this, comparing the size of Adobe RGB vs ProPhoto RGB.

http://i47.tinypic.com/14xcuj5.png

3 - I set my WB in RAW

4 - Skintone is to me no set value, it depends on what I'm after. There are some RGB values to use as a guide. I think it's meant to be a 30 - 20 difference or something like that. So 170 - 140 - 120 but this I'm not sure of.

Last edited by Lightmonkey; 03-03-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2010, 02:55 PM

2.the extra gamut doesn't help with any sort of curve moves, you're confusing gamut with bit depth i.e. 8bpc versus 16bpc
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2010, 04:31 PM

Also, for fashion and beauty, and more or less any photo that contains skin, the best RAW converter is Capture One BY FAR. It's oranges and yellows are the best I have seen and I have tried profiling in Camera Raw to obtain the same results with no success. Not only is it superior regarding color, but it also has several tools dedicated to skin color, and since I've gotten used to merge different conversions into one layer before starting the retouch, with capture one i spend some time just to get the skin right. For example, it has a skin color uniformity tool. Say you have a photo in which the body is more magenta than the face (very common), you can use this tool to bring the hues closer together.

Godmother recommended Capture One to me some time ago and i haven't switched back to ACR for anything with skin. She said Camera Raw has better greens and blues but i haven't tried yet.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2010, 04:38 PM

Sounds like Capture One is something I should try out, thank you!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2010, 08:00 PM

first of all, sorry for my english, facebook and sms habbit to write everything in shorter way. i'll try to be polite here, ok?

about capture one i agree. before i was always using ACR but accidently i tried capture one, it looked interesting to me, but it was too difficult to understand, so i quit, later i get back again and said - i have to understand how it works and now i really love it. it produce the best skintones i have ever seen just only by importing raw file (automatically) and when you do corrections, you just get an amazing results. capture one is the one and its true, just it has not user friendly interface, you have to get used to it, after that - it's a gold! Lightmonkey, try it, it's a jewel, trust me. i don't like only one thing - it doesn't have negative clarity new version 5.1 have it already (i was a beta tester), but it works wrong, comparing to adobe, i like how adobe negative clarity is doing. i always like to drop clarity to -5 / -10 for portraits. (i hope i'm not doing a crime in your eyes, dear retouchers).

ok, a couple of people answered here so far, but as i understand i'm using right tools and i need to stick to adobeRGB.

thanks for you answers guys. i'm still interested in a couple of different opinions, lets say why lightroom is better, etc. is anybody using lightroom over here?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2010, 08:12 PM

ps. it is retouching time!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2010, 04:49 AM

Lightroom = bridge + acr + library database. I don't need lightroom at all as it's biggest downside is that, in order to keep that library, it relies on databases and things i don't need. And it's converter is camera raw, so don't expect different results from it.

I prefer using the bridge over lightroom anytime, as i am a guy with very organized folders.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2010, 07:00 AM

For quick and dirty conversations i use ACR, for more advanced i use RPP...in ACR my preferred Profile is Adobe RGB and in RPP i use Lab or beta-RGB.
WB most on a graycard ander then refining with Curves in PS, when needed.
Chris Orwig is a good Startingpoint...

lg.
Gene
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2010, 08:13 PM

what is it RPP?

ok, now about retouching...

-clone stamp... i was always curious about clone stamp. when you are copying a patch (holding ALT key) sometimes that cross becomes white (normally its black). what does it mean? i never could understand.

-calculations... does anybody can paste me here some useful links about how calculation works? i tried to do a search here, but it gave me so many results that in an hours i didnd find anything and still had a lot of threads to look through.
there is a guy GUY GOWAN (i love him!) i saw him teaching people how to make proper BW and SEPIA conversion using calculations. does anybody knows about it anything? it happens quite often when after retouching im converting pictures to BW but when you print them out you dont see that BW you was expenting to see (especially sepia) and guy gowan was teaching how to get exactly the real bw/sepia using calculations.

-healing brush... who can explain me how this tool works? why sometimes it blur and sometimes it get texture? it looks like it takes a sample (somewhere) and paste it for you, but quite often it paste wrong samples and quite often even a rubish. how to control this tool? what are you using for healing?

thanks.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching